Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Ed
      Participant
        • Allows Edits: Yes
        @boydownthelane

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? Yes

My father was born just after the turn of the century, circa 1904, and lived in New Haven.  Originally smitten by the railroad in the age of its electrification there, Dad’s love soon turned to horseless carriages, an affection that matured through the development of the motorcar and the driving of them.  Dad was forever touring, exploring, in some form of car.  I was born just after the end of World War Two and I grew up in the back seat peering out the window as he pointed out places of interest.  There was no road or driveway that he wouldn’t explore if it interested him.  I built an internal GPS system before there were satellites. I remember most of the cars and most of the journeys we took in them, long and short. He shifted his love of cars and driving to me. My grandchildren are now entering the era of the driverless, autonomous, likely-electic or hybrid vehicle which might also fly.

Just before Dad died in the mid-1980’s, we took a short ride to a gathering in Bennington, Vermont, a concours d’elegance under the auspices of Hemmings. Here are a few seelected from the 20 posted at flickr:

Hemmings 1

Hemmings 3

Hemmings 14

Hemmings 18

Dave Watkins
        Participant
          @pentaxfan
          • Photo of the Week Winner Icon
          • Contender Icon
          • Member’s Pick Icon
          Allows Edits? Yes

Enjoyed the story and pics Ed. I’m not a car guy but the school district my wife works for sponsors a “Show and Shine” every summer to raise funds. I don’t know what kind of car this is but it sure looks like a mighty sweet ride to cruise around in.

Preston
          Participant
            @prestonbalavage
            • Contender Icon
            Allows Edits? Yes

I’ll bite on this one Ed.  My dad and I watch the Mecum auto auctions.  He loves remembering all the cars, and I love admiring their style  We took a ride last year to the actual live auction, and I’ve never seen more classics in onne place in my life.This way me favorite.  A little Chevy Nova, plain, simple, Super Sport.  Gotta love a sleeper.

Erik Fransman
              Participant
                • Allows Edits: No
                @erik-fransman
                • Mobile Maestro Icon
                • Member’s Pick Icon
                Allows Edits? No

Preston, you remember why the Chevy Nova did not sell well in Mexico?
                Nova means “Does not drive” in Spanish!

Ed
              Participant
                @boydownthelane

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? Yes

Hemmings maintains a calendar of events in the US; https://www.hemmings.com/calendar/

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/ has the stories.

They co-sponsor the annual Great Race:

#44 "Borrowed Time"

Locally, there are antique car clubs.

And the future is right around the corner….

3pco
                Participant
                  @3pco

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? Yes

Here in the land of retired engineers, there are many enthusiasts. This 1931 Buick Victoria was restored by one such, machining parts in his garage. It runs as quiet as an electric.

Ed
                  Participant
                    @boydownthelane

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? Yes

@3pco, I love the “face” (the rear-view mirror shot), and the driving lights. Forward lighting is a pet bugaboo for me; here in the USofA, the NHTSA and the DOT over-think driving and do not allow today’s modern standard of European headlights (e.g., Audi LED/Matrix), and they bleed dry most innovative approaches to driving.  I see the EU will embrace engine governors on all cars. And the US infrastructure is a joke, as is its approach to high-speed trains.  I grew up reading Road &Track, and Car and Driver, and made a 16-mm. film in college at Lime Rock.  For almost 8 years, in the days before medical helicopters, I drove a Cadillac five-liter V-8 ambulance on the Interstate emergency transfer runs from west of the Connecticut River into the teaching hospitals. I let my first wife keep the ’70 Mustang with the Cleveland 351 and I went to the 1974 Fiat X1/9.

Ed
                    Participant
                      @boydownthelane

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? Yes

At a local antique auto show:

Vintage eavesdropping

Ed
                      Participant
                        @boydownthelane

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? Yes

https://assets.hemmings.com/blog/wp-content/uploads//2019/04/image-24-970×530.jpg

https://assets.hemmings.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/2019-GAMRR-route-970×1244.jpg

“… The 2019 Great American Mountain Rally Revivial will likely be capped at 25-30 cars. Registration is expected to open in May, and the finalized cost for the 2019 event is pending at press time. As in 2018, the rally is sanctioned by the Sports Car Club of America, held as a New England Region event. Additional information will appear on the SCCA’s New England Region road rally schedule page, and can be obtained via email at gamrrrally@gmail.com.

We’ll update this article with additional details as they are released.”

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2019/04/29/2019-great-american-mountain-rally-revival-scheduled-for-october-25-27/

Robert Apple
                          • https://www.instagram.com/robert.apple.98/
                          • https://photography667a.myportfolio.com/
                          @robertapple
                          • Photo of the Week Winner Icon
                          • Mobile Maestro Icon
                          • Contender Icon
                          • Member’s Pick Icon
                          • Throwdowner Icon
                          Allows Edits? Yes

My youth was spent in the Golden age of Muscle Cars and Mopar was King, you could go to your local Dealer and buy virtually the same car Richard Petty had just kicked some seriuos butt in on the track and I owned several over the years. But having said this a supercharged Auborn Speedster was always and still is my personal dream car.
                          this is not my photo but wish it was mine, and my car as well. Directly linked to the website where it is hosted.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author