Walking Back Home

Home Photography Forums The Shark Tank Walking Back Home

This topic contains 16 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  David Blacker 5 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

David Blacker
    Participant

Walking Home by Son of the Morning Light on 500px.com

I had been at the Waldsee almost the entire afternoon and the sun was finally going down, leaving just a few pockets of light between the trees. This footpath along the lake was in deep shadow except for one patch of light. I saw someone walk into it, but by the time I got my camera up it was too late. So I set up and stayed focused on the spot at full zoom. Ten minutes later, this young woman walked into the light. Canon EOS 600D and EF-S 18-200mm lens @ 200mm, 1/160, f/5.6, and ISO 100.

stuart
    Participant

This is the kind of shot i hate to process….because it doesnt realy need anything doing to it. The slightest edit may spoil it totaly. I think a pro could say what to do, but i think it stands as it is. Good planning and execution my friend !

chris rowan
    Participant

Can't fault it really.

Do I want to dodge the blue on the trees to make them stand out a bit more?
    Not really – would distract from the main subject.

I'm looking at this picture wondering what to do with it, but everything I come up with draws a blank.
    To emphasize any other aspect than the central subject, takes attention away.

Possibly a touch more detail in the black bits?

Nice one.

David Blacker
    Participant

Thanks, guys. I quite like this one myself, and I have done some editing to it. Was just wondering if it could be improved or whether I had done anything that I shouldn't/needn't have.

Walter Lustig
    Participant

I just had a quick go in LR.

Personally, I found that bringing up shadows and blacks and toning down whites is bringing out details in the other areas and doesn't put all the eye-focussing responsibility on the woman's shoulder as some parts of her are blown out and also fuzzy.

I feel that by doing that the overall mood and expression of the image doesn't change too much but of course it is a matter of taste.

As it was not a staged shot this is probably as good as it was possible to capture it.

David Blacker
    Participant

Yes, this was at the 200mm end of my EF-S 18-200mm and quality isn't brilliant at that point.

Tom Stone
    Participant

I personally am struggling with images which are stunning, but are they real? As bright as the subject is, were the shadows really that dark? I agree with fidelito's comment about bringing up the shadows, a little.

caimi
    Participant

Nice composition, balance of shadow and light but focus appears soft on the woman. Lens or technique?

Michael Lloyd
    Participant

I think it's already been covered but the woman is soft (you know that), and too bright (you already know that), and the surroundings are just a smidgen too dark.

That said, in keeping with Tank rules- I don't not like it a lot.

David Blacker
    Participant

I did increase the contrast and gave it a slight S-curve so that would have darkened the shadows.

David Blacker
    Participant

It's the lens, I'm afraid. At 200mm it can be a bit soft.

Donald Crais
    Participant

When I first opened the image the left side was mostly dark: after scrolling reading the comments, the left side became lighter, more visible. The ‘cabin/shed' doesn't add to the subject/story – maybe cropping it out near the first big tree to the left of the woman. With that, might crop most of the water out – also not lending much to the story. And like michael-lloyd ‘I don't not like it a lot' either.

Ehpem
    Participant

This is going to be a repeat of the above. I don't mind the shed, I can barely see it. I think that side of the photo has enough detail. I would probably pull out a small amount of detail in the dare area on the right – perhaps just a few tree trunks, and if there a few points on the far side of the path on the right that can be brought up just enough to give it some depth there. The line of light on the path edge through the right of the photo is really important part, don't diminish that with your adjustments.
    “I don't like it a lot” is certainly quotable:)

agree with most comments above:-
    good composition and timing…soft woman…slightly blwon out subject…would love see some details in the dark area….
    Vishnu

Jonathan
    Participant

Personally I would not change a thing. I think the high contast the the dark areas are what make this photo. what I would do is crop the left of the photos slightly, so that the leftmost white tree makes the border of the photo.

David Blacker
    Participant

Thanks, yes that line of light is something I like too.

David Blacker
    Participant

Thanks everyone. My only concern is whether picking out details in the dark areas might take attention off the woman (especially ‘cos she's soft).

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.