Water and Ice

Home Photography Forums The Shark Tank Water and Ice

This topic contains 17 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Erik Fransman 6 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Fujifilm X-T1, Handheld 1/1250s , f/ 6.4  , 10mm, ISO 200.
    The wind was still blowing Beaufort 8. Click for bigger, is better.
    Ice and Water

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

Hi Erik, loving this photo. The colours and the details are beautiful. I was looking at the black and white photo of the lighthouse you had posted earlier and wanted to look at it in colour and here it is. Thank you.

It is also surprising to see that the water on either side of the walkway are in different states. Could it be the difference in salinity?

Anyway, in terms of shark tank, I like the perspective, but wondering if it was too low that it leaves the viewer wanting to see more details in the foreground? Like the textures on the surface of ice + water + sand.

Also, not sure if the bench on the right should be removed. It takes away the viewer's attention from the lighthouse. Not sure if it is just me 🙂

Rob Eyers
    Participant

I like it Erik. Maybe remove the con trail over the lighthouse and level CCW a tiny bit. Not much to be picky about in this one.

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Dahlia, Rob,
    Thanks for commenting.
    The difference on either side is not the salinity. It is both fresh water. (within the dikes).
    It was the wind blowing (Beaufort 8-9) that made the wind-chill at the left side of the pier 3F (-16C). The other size was relatively much warmer and did not Freeze right behind the pier. A bit further out it froze again.

The bench… I kind of like it. In this case, especially because no one is sitting on it. Gives it a bit more abandoned feeling.

Rob, the con trail I will think about. I also kind of like it. It is a bit a juxtaposition towards the other lines. The tiny bit CCW I corrected. Thanks.

For Dahlia, one more showing color: (Click for bigger)
    Light house in snow

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Wow, this is amazing. Thank you Erik.

The ice in the foreground – Are the folds in ice caused by waves? In the sense, they waves froze as they were moving? I can imagine how cold that is! This image has a deserted feel 🙂

Tersha
    Keymaster

Hi Erik, I really like this shot, it's very difficult to suggest any improvements. As far as the bench goes, I feel that to balance the shot it would be better to remove it, but, and it's a big but, I feel the bench should stay as it adds to the story.

Mistyisle
    Participant

Hi Erik,  I feel that there are three quite separate image possibilities here.  One image as it is.  The second with the area to the left cropped up to the stones.  The third with the image cropped to the stones on the left plus cropped severely to exclude the bench.  At this moment I cannot envisage anything other than these three.  Great image!

Erik Fransman
      Participant

Hi Jim, Yeah I can see all three crops, but then it would not be called Water and Ice.
      But I will try the crop without the bench. That looks like an interesting version.

Erik Fransman
    Participant

I see the original image is no longer available. The link to Flickr does not works anymore and a new link neither.
    Here it's again:

Graham Hart
      Participant

I like this pic Erik but to me, there's a lot of space that doesn't really add much to the composition. The ocean on the left and the beach on the right act to minimise the focal point which is the building at the end of the leading line. The pano acts to emphasise the vastness of the wintery landscape but the most interesting part of the image becomes lost in it. So I would get the shears out and crop away. Then to add some drama back into it I flipped it and converted to B&W. Don't know why but I prefer it flipped…must be a right-handed/brain thing? Probably exactly what you weren't looking for but at least its another viewpoint. Here's what I ended up with…

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  Graham Hart.
      • This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  Graham Hart.

Erik Fransman
        Participant

Thanks Graham for taking the time. I see what you say, and I do like the crop, but it becomes an entirely different picture. For me, the most interesting part of the image is the ice on the left and the water on the right. So we differ here in opinion, because for you, in my version the most interesting part is lost.
        In your version, I see very little Halo which is good. Only at the top of the Lighthouse. Ans black and white works here as well.

bucweeet
        Participant

I can see what Erik is referring to in that this one doesn't really match his vision Graham, but I really like this as an image within an image.

The B&W really works in that the line in the clouds is better defined and compliments the line of the beach which draws the viewers eyes further into the image.

Falxy
    Participant

Hi Erik….yeah its a decent shot………… 🙂

horizon looks tilted

that said feel the main components are competing….what do you want me to focus on…………if its the building then i feel its too distant and the clutter each side of distracts.

If its the ice then find it a tad central which could work if your idea  was for a  lead line to the building.

Looks to me like a shot well taken but not followed up in LR,PS etc….

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  Falxy.

Erik Fransman
      Participant

Hi Falxy,  Thank for commenting.
      I agree the main elements are competing, but that is the point of the image. However I do see your point. Just not sure how to solve it.

bucweeet
    Participant

I think Graham may have it when he said ‘there's a lot of space that doesn't really add much to the composition'…   especially the foreground.

I think possibly cropping ‘all around' the image may be required.  I've performed a ‘locked'/complete crop so that the bench is not in the image but it gives an idea what it can look like.  Leaving the bench in or not is a personal choice but for my eyes, I definitely would not leave the bench ‘right next to' the RH edge (I would leave a little bit of space between the two). And you may have to clone out the buildings in the far distance.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  bucweeet.
    • This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  bucweeet.

bucweeet
    Participant

Just comparing the two images Erik… not sure if it feels the same to your eyes but, in the original, I find that the horizon line almost seems to divide the image in half.  The bottom part being the two beaches and the top half being the small light house.  I think it's the distinctive edge of the ice water that adds to this illusion.  Where as with the tighter crop, my eyes find the image more cohesive and the leading line of the walk way seems to work much better (vice the dividing line between the two beaches).

Erik Fransman
    Participant

w

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar