Water on Rocks f/20.0 1/80SS 200ISO

Home Photography Forums The Shark Tank Water on Rocks f/20.0 1/80SS 200ISO

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Dorothy 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

Dorothy
    Participant

Walked out on the boat ramp at Longview Lake and looking back at the shore really liked the light on the waves. Did not do any cropping.

water on rocks

billyspad
    Participant

You seem to like your images on the dark side and this follows on from your usual style. This is a personal taste shot and if you feel it has the impact to make an image then its a success. The tank is a place for opinion so for me its what I call a 3 second shot. After 3 seconds I move on cos I have seen all there is to see. Sometimes this type of shot leaves me wondering whether the desire to appear artistically tuned in takes over from from the desire to produce an image that contains impact and interest or actually says anything.

You will get those who will praise this for light dancing on the waves or similar and then those like me who say”and then what”. Follow your personal vision is all I would say Dorothy. Print it frame it and hang it if you so wish.

Dorothy
      Participant

billyspad:  Thanks. i understand the 3 second shot.  that does help.  although i am picking through photos to practice my black and white i should be also looking for those photos that have interest that draws the viewer in.

you challenge me as well as help me get past taking honest critique personally. even though i know it is the “work” that is being critiqued, it is my personal work so can be hard to separate the two. don't stop, it does help.

yep, i do tend to lean to the dark side. this may or may not change as i take the b&w journey, time will tell.

John Thompson

Dorothy you really do not have a central point to this photo of subject.  Your vantage point is to high to catch the light on the waves, as you say.  There is nothing in the foreground so there is not much to look at when viewing your image.

Dorothy
    Participant

Thanks John Thompson: this is good, both you and billyspad  are helping me ‘see' better.  although i have taken photos for years and read all kinds of stuff the critiquing in the ST is outstanding, learning how to ‘see and think' the photo is as important as learning one's camera.  never even thought to just bend or sit down to take this photo. thanks again.

Robert Apple

Hi Dorthy, It's my busy season at work so I haven't had a lot of time to post, I do try to at least look at everything though and a recurring thing I am seeing is a lot of sort of off the wall camera settings that aren't optimum for the light, motion and content of your scenes, you may want to to revsit the Exposure Triangle to dial things in a bit more technically on camera settings. There are many free articles here on the site Which contain links to more in depth to even more some paid some free, here is the link.

Exposure Triangle

Dorothy
      Participant

Thanks Robert:  i have rec'd previous comments along the same lines.  i did explain that i was using older photos to practice converting to b&w.  These were taken at either full auto or right after I switched to manual when i had no clue as to what to do with aperture, shutter speed and iso. (obviously-lol)  now i have to rethink my thoughts on converting to b&w because these settings now will hopefully be better and therefore change how i handle the photos. yikes. 🙂  will check out the link, thanks again.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.