Weekend Photography Challenge #367 Shadows

Home Photography Forums Weekend Photography Challenge Weekend Photography Challenge #367 Shadows

Tagged: 

This topic contains 190 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  Sven Midensol 6 months ago.

• Author

Tersha
    Keymaster

Horatio Hadley
    Participant

Thank you, Tersha, for these terrific articles.  What a way to start the weekend by reading some very informative and enlightening material.  Now to practice what I have learnt.

Tersha
      Keymaster

Horatio, I'm glad that you found them informative and interesting. 🙂

Graham Hart
    Participant

Shadow Fly.

LeanneC
      Participant

I love transparent shadows.

Graham Hart
        Participant

Yes the wings make a great photon filter Leanne. Isn't that what HD filters do?

Barbie Kaseman
      Participant

I'm a total macro fan. Love, love, love! The composition of this photo is perfect.

Graham Hart
        Participant

Thank you so much Barbie. Very kind words and glad you like it.

Horatio Hadley
      Participant

Graham, this fly image is terrific.  I like the muted colours and softness of the leaves, contrasted with the black, sharpness of the fly with his silvery wings.  The shadow of the wings is a perfect combination of sharp and soft.  Very nice.  Thank you.

Tersha
      Keymaster

Cool macro shot Graham!

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Very nice image Graham. I love the details in the shadows and the image looks best when viewed large 🙂

Jeff Zias
      Participant

Great fly shot! Graham, you reminded me of the family backyard Dragonfly who comes by to pose every summer, with his transparent orange wings.

Dragonfly_wingshadow

Graham Hart
        Participant

Thanks Jeff. Nice dragonfly shot. Like the way he seems to be hanging on for dear life.

Graham Hart
    Participant

I only posted this in the Shark Tank today but seems fitting for this forum too.

LeanneC
      Participant

I like the symmetry (or, ‘not quite' symmetry) of this photo Graham. And it works well as a b&w.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by  LeanneC.

Graham Hart
        Participant

Thanks Leanne. I'm still unsure about what the merits of this pic are though. I do like the contrast between the grey sky shade and the white wall. Wish the shadows were more defined though. I think this image would be much improved if there were a focus point like someone leaning out of one of the windows having a ciggie or something.

Barbie Kaseman
      Participant

Perfect shadows, Graham! Love the B&W.

Graham Hart
        Participant

Thanks Barbie. Yeah wish the shadows were sharper though.

Lenny Wollitz
      Participant

Nice!

Horatio Hadley
      Participant

The merits of this image are the lines, shadows that create more lines and the contrasts in light and dark.  Graham, this is a terrific image.  Thank you.

Graham Hart
        Participant

Thanks Horatio. You really are too kind.

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Love the drama in this image caused by the shadows / lines Graham. Was the blue sky visible through the ceiling? Looks like a very bright sunny day as the shadows are very strong.

Lots of lines and I feel that the bottom half of the image can contribute to an abstract photograph 🙂

Graham Hart
        Participant

Thanks Dahlia. Yes we've had nothing but bright blue skies here in South Australia for weeks now. Heading for another weekend of 42 degrees celcius! Works out well for shadows mind you.

Hmmm, interesting what you said about the bottom half. Might give it a go. Thanks.

davidc
      Participant

As Leann said it's the  ‘not quite' symmetry that makes me keep looking at it. Wondering how the light is coming through the windows. Super shot.

Kent DuFault
    Participant

At the end of his rope.

LeanneC
      Participant

I like this Kent. Like the pieces of a puzzle all put together. I saw the form first, which I thought was very interesting. Great eye!

Graham Hart
      Participant

Every time I look at one of your images Kent, I learn something. I just drove around for an hour looking for something ‘shadowy' to photograph. Must've gone past several scenes of this ilk but didn't see the shot. Looking at this one, I'm thinking…”Why didn't I see that?”.

I think what makes this shot for me primarily is the composition and thats the lesson I take from it. Got to stop looking at things in an X-Y plane and tilt the head more. The angle of the leading line in the paving takes us from the shadows to the colour beyond. The dog along the way is a pleasant surprise to the eyes. (Poor thing looks like its strangling itself)

I find myself wondering whats lies beyond, further up the path. Love this image.

Kent DuFault
        Participant

Thanks Graham. I can tell from your words that you're going to go great places with your photography. When a person begins to see the world a little less “literally” your “art side” will shine bright. Cheers.

Bobbie
      Participant

Very interesting Kent. I haven't quite figured this one out yet.

Kent DuFault
        Participant

Thank you Bobbi. When I saw this it was the angles, variations in color, and the look on the poor dog's face that caused me to take the picture.

Lenny Wollitz
      Participant

Kent, I really like the different shades of shadows!

Horatio Hadley
      Participant

Kent, I like the way you combined a variety of shadows with the colour of the background.  Especially, I like the dog.  The light has perfectly lit the dog's face.  This is terrific.  Thank you.

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Aw, the look on the dog's face. Very nice Kent. The image gives an idea of the place and tells a story 🙂

ElinL
      Participant

Great image Kent !

LeanneC
    Participant

Snow and Shadow:

Snow and Shadow

A rare mobile shot…
    It's All Downhill From Here:

It's All Downhill From Here

And less blatant use of shadow (and light)…

Summer Dreams

Mistyisle
      Participant

I really like the subtle shadows in the chairs with snow image, Leanne!

LeanneC
        Participant

Thank you Mistyisle.

Graham Hart
      Participant

The beauty of mobiles is that you've always got one with you and there's no setup involved. They're good enough nowadays to make great pics too. The first shot is ‘shadow' defined. Trying to work out if the second shot was taken ‘on the run' or if you had stopped. Like the third one best. Looks like two snowmen resting up in the shadowed sunlight.

LeanneC
        Participant

I am glad you saw the snowmen too Graham 🙂 Thanks

Horatio Hadley
      Participant

LeanneC, I most likely would have killed myself attempting to take a photograph of my shadow whilst riding a bicycle.  That is great.  The chairs are fantastic.  There is something about those chairs that I can not describe, that holds my attention.  In particular, I do like the way you have light on the chairs, with the shadows, both in front of and behind them.  Thank you.

LeanneC
        Participant

Thanks Horatio. Yes, I was riding, albeit slowly, while taking that pic. My daughter was in front of me watching for vehicles 🙂 I think I may need to get a helmet cam! I appreciate your kind comments on the chairs. I had taken a couple of photos of them earlier in the day and when the evening light hit them I knew that photo was a keeper.

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

I like the second image the most. Very nice Leanne 🙂

davidc
      Participant

Snow and shadows. You have very long legs lol. Very funny photo made me smile.

Mistyisle
    Participant

Digeridoo Player

Graham Hart
      Participant

I think this is a nicely balanced image Mistyisle. I see a diagonal line (didgeridoo) running from top left to bottom right with all the action in the top half and the shadows and ground in the bottom half.

Adding to the composition, the people are all heading one way and the player and shadows are facing the other way. I guess including the player's shadow has dictated the cropping here but I think it makes the shot too.

Bobbie
      Participant

Nice interplay between the shadows Misty.

LeanneC
      Participant

Very nice use of light and shadow, Mistyisle. Great catch.

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

I like this image too Jim. Very nicely composed 🙂

Barbie Kaseman
    Participant

Here'e a photo of my dog, Jake taking in some rays. The shadows are of the gate in front of the house, and his big head!Taking in Some Rays

Graham Hart
      Participant

Shadows aplenty. Jake's eye tells the story. Makes me want to tilt my head too and soak up some of those rays. Always love a dog pic.

Bobbie
      Participant

This is what contentment looks like.

LeanneC
      Participant

I can feel the warmth of the sun!

Tersha
    Keymaster

White Roses …..
    (not sure whether I've posted this before)

white roses

Graham Hart
      Participant

If you have, I'm glad you posted it again Tersha. This shot is fantastic. I love the contrast of the flowers catching the light against the dark background and then the added element of the shadowed lines beneath. Wonderful.

Bobbie
      Participant

Beautiful Diane. Your eye for the use of light is amazing.

Lenny Wollitz
      Participant

Lovely!

Gray B
      Participant

Beautiful detail and composition.  I'll bet you had to move quickly before the sunlight changed.

LeanneC
      Participant

Gorgeous. And great use of shadows.

Tersha
      Keymaster

Thanks for the comments Graham, Bobbie, Lenny, Gary and Leanne!
      And Gray, yes, It wasn't an idea you could think about for too long!

ElinL
    Participant

A00A5475-Edit-1-3

Graham Hart
      Participant

Swaney, how I love ya! Very nice shot Elin. Not often one sees a shadow on the subject itself.

LeanneC
      Participant

Made me smile. Cute shot.

Kent DuFault
      Participant

I loved how you framed this and gave it a sense of mystery.

Bobbie
      Participant

Very creative composition Elin

Rob Eyers
    Participant

IMG_2063-2.jpg

Graham Hart
      Participant

Another great shot. I'm getting dizzy just looking at this pic. It invokes a feeling of vertigo with the composition. Love it Rob.

Bobbie
      Participant

Nice one Rob. Looks like a dance.

Kent DuFault
      Participant

Hi Rob. This REALLY appeals to my vision and sense of aesthetics. I really like it a lot.

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Love this image Rob. Makes me wonder how the left leg was placed to get this shot! Kind of mysterious 🙂

Graham Hart
    Participant

Just realised one I took this morning has shadows!

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by  Graham Hart.

ElinL
    Participant

Argument

Shame on you !

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by  ElinL.

Bobbie
      Participant

I'd hate to get in the middle of that! Great capture Elin.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Would have been tricky handling the exposure with all the white everywhere? Nice shot and like the compo too with the two spectators ring-side bottom left corner. Maybe a good title for this would be “Bills, bills and more bills”. LOL.

Bobbie
    Participant

Another view of our team

Graham Hart
      Participant

I like it Bobbie. The feet on the right kinda give the shadows meaning.

Bobbie
      Participant

Thanks Graham

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Very nice Bobbie 🙂

Bobbie
        Participant

Thanks Dahlia

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

playing with gelled flashes

Chair Shadows, Sombras de silla

Graham Hart
      Participant

Very interesting Lenny. Quite abstract.

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Early AM.

Shadows, Sombras

Bobbie
      Participant

The pattern of the shadows is intriguing Lenny.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Great shot. Love this. Ticks a lot of boxes for me; leading lines, contrast, B&W, composition, patterns…

Mistyisle
      Participant

Fabulous, Lenny.  I could keep looking at this!

LeanneC
      Participant

I like that Lenny. Nice.

Gray B
      Participant

I’m dizzy 😵.

karenhy
      Participant

Love the pattern. Nice capture.

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

A very dramatic image Lenny. Strong patterns, textures and lines. I like how the steps and the shadows lead the viewer up to the door 🙂

Lenny Wollitz
      Participant

Thank you all!

davidc
      Participant

I think you could fall walking up those steps. As Gary said dizzy. Great lines all over it.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by  davidc.

Tersha
    Keymaster

teasel

sidelighting, teasel

Graham Hart
      Participant

Fascinating image Tersha. Love the shading all through it.

Q:What is a teasel and also are they fish hooks wrapped around the spikey thing?

Tersha
        Keymaster

Thanks Graham. Teasel is a plant, pretty tall and spikey. The flowers are good for bees and butterflies, and then when they dry out are good for flower arrangements, or spraying with gold or glitter for Christmas decorations. There's not any fishhooks, they are part of the plant.
        Here's a much less ‘arty' photo, so you ca see what I mean ….
        teasel

Graham Hart
          Participant

Thanks for the explanation Diane. Learn something new every day. What an interesting thing…looks like it needs handling with care!

Bobbie
      Participant

And once again you sent me to Google Diane. There's a definite danger that I might end up learning something about plants.

Fascinating image.

Tersha
        Keymaster

Thanks Bobbie,learning about plants can only be a good thing! 🙂

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

I like the light in the image Diane. Soft feel yet a strong image 🙂

Tersha
        Keymaster

Thanks Dahlia!

davidc
      Participant

This looks almost alive and a bit sinister. Great shot

Lenny Wollitz
      Participant

WOW!  Diane, I'm sure learning to appreciate flowers and bugs looking at your stuff!

Bells

PC250038

Graham Hart
      Participant

That's shadows on a large scale David. Nice shot.

davidc
      Participant

Game of spot the shadows. Very good

Graham Hart
    Participant

Rope Swing.

Mistyisle
      Participant

Very different, Graham!  I like a lot, the contrasting colours and the strong interesting shadows.  Powerful.  Well seen indeed  🙂

Graham Hart
        Participant

Thanks Mistyisle. Walked the dog today while thinking ‘shadows, shadows' all the time. The good thing about this challenge is it forces you to open your eyes and see beyond the object. I took a snap of the swing months ago because the patterns in the rope intrigued me (see flickr) but I like this shot so much more.

Gray B
    Participant

Yesterday's Women's March.  Just like my marches in the late '60's and early 70's except less tear gas :).

20180120-P1070789-Edit.jpg

Graham Hart
      Participant

I like this a lot Gray. I could go on about the shadows being a metaphor for the faceless victims of their oppressors etc but I won't. Suffice to say I find it quite appropriate to the message the women are no doubt delivering. Pity the sign's wording got cut off but I'm guessing all three words began with ‘B'.

Gray B
        Participant

Thanks Graham. I cropped part of the message on purpose to initially focus on the shadow and hope, like you, the viewer tries to fill in the blanks on the sign.

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

I like this image a lot Gray. Makes one wonder what the words on the sign say, but it is good that way 🙂

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Your choice of processing harkens back to those marches of the 60's Gray. Even the dress style is in keeping. Very nice processing and image.

davidc
      Participant

Reminds me of a film. Can't think which one. Like this a lot

Mistyisle
    Participant

Shadows from the design on a Wellington (Porirua) bus shelter.

Graham Hart
    Participant

Interesting pattern Mistyisle. I'm wondering why the shadows have two different shades?

Mistyisle
      Participant

Hi Graham, they certainly have two different shades. I presume that the artwork on each has different colouring.   Not sure, but the next time I am there, likely to be 2/3 months  away,  I will try to check out.

Gray B
    Participant

An old one, but for me a good one.  Memories of great grandma, an importer of oriental art in the early nineteen hundreds.

Good Morning Shadows

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by  Gray B.

Bobbie
      Participant

I think I remember this one Gray and I still think it's beautiful and mysterious.

Graham Hart
      Participant

I like the way the statue appears to be holding her clothing closer to protect against a breeze which the shadows on the wall behind her intimate at. Lovely shading and subtle colouring. Very nice shot Gray.

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

A very old one!

Shadows

Kent DuFault
      Participant

Love it!

Graham Hart
      Participant

I like the way all the birds are facing the camera attracted to something (you?). I can imagine a boss-pidgeon with authority standing on a box (behind the camera) addressing the gathered throng. Like a stop-work meeting.

Also like the light ray piercing the background too. A good contender in the ‘shadows' challenge. Oddly enough, I was thinking of making myself a challenge this weekend to shoot a flock of pidgeons which hang out in the city centre here.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by  Graham Hart.

Dahlia Ambrose
        Keymaster

Thank you Graham. There were other people feeding the pigeons nearby, so they were all curious looking for food. Lol, I like your imagination 😀

Pigeons, although many hate them, are very interesting subjects to photograph especially when they are a flock. Look forward to seeing what you create over the weekend Graham 🙂

davidc
      Participant

My Dad had racing pigeons. This reminds me of trying to get them in to clock the rings. They never came all together though. Cool photo

Dahlia Ambrose
        Keymaster

Thank you very much David. Interesting to hear about the racing pigeons. Never heard about them before 🙂

Bobbie
    Participant

Interesting Dahlia. In some places it's hard to tell the birds from their shadows.

Bobbie
    Participant

I know I've posted this before but it's one of my favorites.

Kent DuFault
      Participant

Nice!

Graham Hart
      Participant

Another great shadow shot. Someone who knows how could probably tell the exact time from the angles.

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

A very nice image Bobbie. I love shadow images like these 🙂

Bobbie
      Participant

Thanks Kent, Graham and Dahlia.
      I'm not sure Graham, but I think you'd have to know the approximate date and where north was in order to tell the time.

davidc
      Participant

Yep! Like it.

Tersha
      Keymaster

Love it Bobbie, I can see why it's a favourite. 🙂

Bobbie
      Participant

Thanks David & Diane

Tersha
    Keymaster

where there's a will ….

where there's a will _

Graham Hart
      Participant

Beautiful image Diane. Perfect DOF and love the balance of colour in this one.

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Lovely one Diane and I like the caption that goes with it 🙂

Kent DuFault
      Participant

Very Nice!!

Bobbie
      Participant

Nature is amazing. Wonderful image Diane.

davidc
      Participant

Cool Tersha. Did you plant it and wait for it to grow.  🙂

Tersha
        Keymaster

Thanks David, it was from spilt Niger seed for the birds! 🙂

Tersha
      Keymaster

Thanks for the comments Graham, Dahlia, Kent and Bobbie!

Mistyisle
    Participant

Striking Diane, I like it! Taken with tilt-shift, I believe, something not yet familiar to me.

Tersha
      Keymaster

Thanks Jim, but it wasn't with a Tilt and Shift, it was a Canon 100mm macro lens. I think the effect was created by the size of the seedling, less than 1″ and the angle that I took the shot.

davidc
    Participant

Moon Shadows

moon-3<script async src=”//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>

Tersha
      Keymaster

Great take on the theme, David, and a very good moon shot.

davidc
        Participant

Thanks Tersha.

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Very nice David. Love it.  🙂

davidc
        Participant

Thanks Dahlia

Graham Hart
      Participant

This is a great shot of the moon David. Probably the sharpest I've seen. love it.

davidc
        Participant

Many thanks Graham

Tersha
    Keymaster

I wasn't sure whether to keep this or not, bit I think it fits in this challenge ….

damselfly

Graham Hart
      Participant

It certainly does fit Tersha. Don't see that many blue insects, its very interesting (dragonfly?). The wing detail in the shadows is nice.

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Chairs in the sun.

Chairs in the Sun,

Bobbie
      Participant

This looks like a companion shot for Dahlia's image. Maybe this is where the pigeons are heading… 🙂

Graham Hart
      Participant

I like this image a lot Lenny. I think the chairs and the shadows share equal billing in this production and blend together really well.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by  Graham Hart.

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Lovely high contrast image Lenny 🙂

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Chairs in the sun  What am I doing wrong?  The photo doesn't show and it's not like the first time I have done this.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eldub1/25005279427/in/dateposted-public/

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Edited your comment with the share link Lenny and it works now 🙂

ElinL
    Participant

Resting dancer

Graham Hart
      Participant

Terrific image Elin. Love everything about this one. The light sweeping in from the left to land on the man's head and give it an extra dimension. The busy vertical lines against the calm horizontal orange plane, the round table to balance the linear aspect of the image, the man's thoughtful focus on something we can't see. Like it a lot.

ElinL
      Participant

Thank you Graham and Lenny.

Tersha
      Keymaster

Love everything about this Elin!

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Wow, this is a great image Elin 🙂

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Very interesting!

chris pook
    Participant

Basra PSD

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by  chris pook.

Bobbie
      Participant

Great capture Chris (and creepy).

Tersha
      Keymaster

Ditto what Bobbie said! Looks scary!

Graham Hart
      Participant

Very potent image. Beware what lurks in the shadows.

chris pook
        Participant

Its just a man with an AK47.  🙂

Although I get where you are coming from.  Looks like a 1950 B Movie poster;  ‘The Lobsterman from the Deep' or something.

Dahlia Ambrose
          Keymaster

I was gonna say, looks like a scene from a war movie. Very nice Chris 🙂

Anonymous

The shadow of the shadow:

Graham Hart
    Participant

What the? I take it there were two light sources slightly apart? I like the way the arch is duplicated in the circle of light. What a brilliant shot, terrific!

Angel M. Sesma
      Participant

Hi!
      There's no secret in the setup: all natural light and the correct moment to catch the shadows!

It was only a coincidence: There was two aligned streetlights with the sun was in a very low position whe I took the picture.
      I like you enjoyed this image!!

🙂 Angel

E. Q. de Souza
    Participant

Dead End.

Dead End

E. Q. de Souza
    Participant

Ride in the dark

Kent DuFault
      Participant

Love this shot! Very Hitchcock…esque.

E. Q. de Souza
        Participant

Thanks, shadows goes well with Hitchcock and mystery.

Tobie

An oldie, but applicable…

CTS_2657

Sven Midensol
    Participant

StatueShadow

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

>
Skip to toolbar