Weekend Photography Challenge #369 Monotone/Duotone

Home Photography Forums Weekend Photography Challenge Weekend Photography Challenge #369 Monotone/Duotone

This topic contains 300 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by  E. Q. de Souza 9 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Tersha
    Keymaster

Monotone photography is a type of photography that displays only one tone of color instead of the original colors; this color tone might be black and white (monochrome), red, blue, green, or any other colors.

Duotones are images that only use two colors. It’s a technique that’s been around since the advent of photography. In the 19th century duotones were often sepia toned but today you’re more likely to see them in brighter colors.

Don't forget that it's possible to get monotone shots without processing, ie: shades of green in the countryside/plants, or the use of coloured light and shadows.

https://www.lightstalking.com/duotone/ by Light Stalking

https://www.lightstalking.com/perfect-art-monochrome-landscape/ by Jason Row

https://www.lightstalking.com/13-incredibly-useful-articles-getting-started-black-white-landscape-photography/ by Kehl Bayern

https://www.lightstalking.com/have-you-got-your-monochrome-techniques-nailed-in-lightroom/ by Jason Row

Eileen Thompson
    Participant

Rain and Sunset<script async src=”//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>

Graham Hart
      Participant

Nice shot Eileen. The blurred background really focuses the attention on the detail in the sheet of water drops, highlighting the barrier between the safe dry inside and the weather outside. Great colour tones.

Eileen Thompson
        Participant

Thank you Graham – I experimentd quite a bit with different focusing lengths back and forth between the window and the outside scene, but decided in the end that the rain was the important feature. Just happens to be a duotone pic!

ElinL
      Participant

Love the warm golden and blue hues in this image Eileen.

Horatio Hadley
      Participant

Eileen, your photograph is terrific.  I really love the rich blue contrasting the clouds.  Your use of light is captivating.  The focus on the rain drops is very interesting with the slightly blurry background.  Very nice.  Thank you.

Robert Apple
      Participant

Nice Photo with Great color

LeanneC
      Participant

I love photos like this Eileen. They make me feel like a kid again, gazing out the window of the house or car. I like the mystery of the blurred background. Good choice of focus.

Tersha
      Keymaster

Love it Eileen!

Bobbie
      Participant

Very nice Eileen. I agree with Leanne. The focus on the rain drops is a brilliant choice. The sky reminds me a bit of the Northern Lights images we see here sometimes.

davidc
      Participant

Another good one Eileen.

Tom M
      Participant

Don't know if anyone noticed, but the raindrops kinda form an impression of fire on the yellow BG. Cool.

Tom

Eileen Thompson
      Participant

My grateful thanks to you all for your lovely comments – so kind !

James Henry
      Participant

i like the balance, the droplets are obviously a focus with their crispness but not robbing the image by being too many and too close. and the color!! wow!!

Graham Hart
    Participant

Posted before but monotone.

Eileen Thompson
      Participant

I love the sculptural quality of this picture , the diagonals and the lovely shade of green – beautiful!

ElinL
      Participant

Great lines in this one Graham !

Barbie Kaseman
      Participant

Great photo, Graham. Your DOF is spot on. Love how the light identifies the edges of the plant; just the right amount of light. Really love this photo. Luscious!

Graham Hart
      Participant

Thank you Eileen, Elin & Barbie. Very kind.

Horatio Hadley
      Participant

Graham, this is a wonderful photograph.  The lines of the leaves, and the way you positioned it in the image, is intriguing.  Your use of light has given the leaves definition and texture.  Thank you for posting this photograph.

LeanneC
      Participant

Lovely Graham. Just the right amount of light in the right places.

Tom M
      Participant

Love the simplicity and the flow of the leaves,Graham.

Tersha
      Keymaster

Beautiful Graham!

Bobbie
      Participant

Beautiful Graham

Rob Eyers
      Participant

I still love it Graham.

davidc
      Participant

Spot on Graham. 🙂

Graham Hart
      Participant

Thank you everyone for the comments. Appreciate it.

E. Q. de Souza
    Participant

It really feels warm with a little sunshine through the clouds even on a raining day behind the glass Eileen, good shot!

It is almost architectural the plant and the color is great Graham.

I wonder if we can post 2 or more photos, I guess it is ok, will post one of each.Residential canal, house boats

Eileen Thompson
      Participant

I was just wondering that very thing E.Q.   this is a super composition !

Tersha
      Keymaster

Hi EQ, you can post as many photos as you like!

ElinL
      Participant

Beautiful composition – great image !

Graham Hart
      Participant

Love this pic too. The river balances perectly with the sky in shape and tone. Beautiful image. Thanks also for your comment E.Q.

Ann Wheatley
      Participant

I like the high contrast, it lends a very dramatic feel to this otherwise serene scene. Can you tell us a bit about the image EQ?  Where did you make it?

LeanneC
      Participant

Postcard perfect, EQ! Great comp – I am pulled into this photo.

E. Q. de Souza
      Participant

Thank you all for the positive comments, also glad I can post more than one photo Tersha, thanks!

About the image Ann, I had it in color, just converted in B&W for this challenge, it is taken on a special twilight time of the year during spring, with normal camera settings, white balance on auto, etc… Added saturation, contrast, sharpness, bit of noise reduction (Too often I handheld camera, hate tripods, too heavy to carry around). The place is a canal in Amsterdam, one of many with house boats, people live in the boats.

One thing I always loose on quality because I tend to shoot jpg images instead raw, ooops!

Here is the color version:

Amsterdam Canal & House Boats

Bobbie
        Participant

I greatly prefer the b&w with all its drama. Great image.

Rob Eyers
        Participant

I'm with Bobbie on this one E.Q. …I prefer the b&w version. That said the colour version would be great as an impressionist painting. A bit of an old masters kind of processing could be killer. Very nice image E.Q.

davidc
        Participant

As Above the b&w lends its self to the way its processed. Cool shot.

Graham Hart
        Participant

I think the colour version emphasises what great framing you chose for this shot and yes, it looks even better in B&W. As Leanne said, the B&W version somehow appears to have more depth and pulls you in more. Must be the increased dynamics of the rich contrasts?

Tobie

Love it! The B&W works well here!

E. Q. de Souza
    Participant

Bike wheel.

Eileen Thompson
      Participant

I love this picture E.Q.  –  the light and viewpoint and subject are just my cup of tea!

Graham Hart
      Participant

Like the linear contrasts in both direction and focus. Nice shot.

E. Q. de Souza
      Participant

Mine too Eileen, I often try to find a pleasant atmosphere to photograph and also like the graphic feel Graham, thanks!

ElinL
    Participant

Smelling the water
    Is it safe to drink this water....?

Barbie Kaseman
      Participant

Love this photo, Elin. The reflection of the dogs is actually upright. Very clever!

Graham Hart
      Participant

Didn't notice straight away but agree with Barbie, very clever. The ‘real' dogs pop nicely in this lovely B&W image.

E. Q. de Souza
      Participant

I rotated the image around but indeed I prefer upside down with this nice surrealistic feel, well done! I get attracted to the dogs faces like this, on the normal side I draw my eyes to the bodies first.

Bobbie
      Participant

Great capture Elin. I always enjoy your images of human and animal life.

Rob Eyers
      Participant

I liked this the first time I saw it Elin. Very clever.

davidc
      Participant

Always a winner this one. 🙂

Tobie

Something different – nice!

ElinL
        Participant

Thank you all for kind comments, appreciated !

Barbie Kaseman
    Participant

This photo was taken during a college photography class trip to Death Vally in 2015.20 Mule Team Canyon

Graham Hart
      Participant

Very nice pic Barbie. Layers of tone and texture keep the eye roaming around checking out all the detail. Like the composition a lot too.

LeanneC
      Participant

This works very nicely with the contrasting tones but I can't help but wonder what it looks like in colour too, Barbie.

Tom M
      Participant

Nice Barbie. Can't stop looking at this. I would love to hike this area.

Bobbie
      Participant

I like this a lot Barbie. Looks other-worldly.

Gray B
      Participant

Death Valley, one of my favorite places in the world (except in July/August).  Excellent image Barbie ????????.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  Gray B.

davidc
      Participant

Very cool. almost looks like a model.

ElinL
      Participant

Great image Barbie – beautifully tuned nuances – has to be seen large.

Tobie

Wow I love this! The B&W accentuates the contours nicely!

Barbie Kaseman
        Participant

Thanks for all the nice compliments everyone. Such beautiful photos for this weekend's challenge. Everyone should be proud!

chris pook
    Participant

Hannah, shot outside with a v large octabox and grid on Ilford FP4, Contax 645, home developed.  Digitised with a canon macro lense and home made light box.

It's ok, still a work in progress.  Brought my Contax back to work with a bucket of film, but not had chance to do much with it so far.

Taking this one ^^^ to Dubai at the weekend.  2 days with my pal Maria and two days in Dubai Marina.  Will be swimming with dolphins, among many other things.  Am super excited!

Set up for above;

Set up

Last one, camera pointing the other (wrong!) way.  Swimming in the rain, Playa del Arbeyal, Gijon, Asturias.  A beach in a fairly industrial area.

374A0195-Edit-2.jpg

Sorry, not Breakfast / Office safe.  lol.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  chris pook.

Graham Hart
      Participant
      • First shot (Hannah) – beautiful! Would've liked to see her looking direct to camera maybe? Get the feeling the whites of her eyes would have contrasted nicely with the black background but in any case this is a lovely serene shot Chris.
      • Second shot (set up) – so interesting seeing these ‘behind-the-scenes' pics. I was amazed that it was an outside setup. The first shot looks so much like it was taken in a studio. Great learning curve for me.
      • Last shot (naked guy) – way to much exposure for me and I'm not talking about the camera setting. LOL 🙂

Bobbie
      Participant

Lovely, wistful portrait of Hannah, Chris.

Rob Eyers
      Participant

I like the softness of the lighting Chris. It really flatters your lovely daughter. You've caught a moment that engages the viewer. A definite keeper for the family album.

davidc
      Participant

Great shot of Hannah. As Rob says one for the album and for the wall.

Tobie

Octa boxes are just magic! Thumbs up to the guy who invented them!

Love the shot of Hannah! Don't feel bad – you are not to bad either! 🙂

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Alex in sepia.

_V4A0793_v3.jpg

LeanneC
      Participant

The sepia gives her a golden glow! Very pretty girl and lovely photo, Rob.

Rob Eyers
        Participant

Thank you Leanne. My flash skills are a work in progress.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Very nice image Rob. Even with my total inexperience with professional lighting setups I can tell that this image has been very well lit by the lack of shadows. Like Leanne said, she radiates a glow and not just from the sepia toning but also in her eyes and smile. Lovely.

Rob Eyers
        Participant

Thanks a lot Graham. It's not often my daughter will consent to helping me with my flash studies. When I get the chance I try not to abuse it so we can continue to be pals.

davidc
      Participant

Another one for the wall, lovely photo.

ElinL
      Participant

Lovely sepia of your beautiful daughter Rob – the highlights work very well – give the image a pearly glow.

Tobie

I simply love Sepia. Always have, always will. Nice shot!

Ann Wheatley
    Participant

We had a very destructive king tide in conjunction with the recent supermoon.  Nelson, Golden Bay, and the West Coast of the South Island were hit very hard.  Yesterday morning we ventured down to our local beach to see the damage.  Oystercatchers breed on this beach and we were relieved to see a crowd of about 800 birds.  Here are a few of them, with processing to emphasise their orange beaks and legs.

Does this count as duotone?
    Pied oystercatchers, Nelson, NZ

Ann Wheatley
      Participant

and this is a second version, higher key.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  Ann Wheatley.

Eileen Thompson
        Participant

I prefer the high key version Ann – super capture !

Graham Hart
      Participant

Also can't decide which one I like better. I do like the extra detail in the top pic but the birds seem less harsh in the second one. I think the colour works well in these pics.

Ann Wheatley
        Participant

Thanks Graham, I went to even higher key when experimenting with this  image in in Luminar, but going further makes the image quite surreal, and almost like a line drawing.

Bobbie
      Participant

I prefer the first one Ann. Glad the birds are well.
      I definitely recommend looking at this large to see the detail of the legs and beaks.

davidc
      Participant

Good one Ann. How long did it take to do the legs and beaks.

Ann Wheatley
        Participant

Oystercatchers have orange legs and beaks and the weather was dull.  The sea was tinged green so I desaturated the photo and turned up the saturation of the orange.  Didn't take long at all.

And as Bobbie points out, you really have to click on these images to get the large version to appreciate the birds better.

Rose Marie
      Participant

I like the stronger contrast in the first one. Love the beaks and legs!!!

Ann Wheatley
        Participant

Thanks To all of you, but I am at a loss for how to make the most of these images. Had had lots of restrictions including little freedom of movement so as not to scare them off, and  the greyness of the day, Maybe I should pop into the shark tank!

E. Q. de Souza
    Participant

Dog and the rope.

Dog and the rope.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Yep! Dog pic…you got me. Love it.

davidc
      Participant

Kind of pulls you into the photo. Love it.

karenhy
      Participant

Great interaction between subject and camera/viewer. Puts you right there-love it.

Horatio Hadley
    Participant

Ann, your oystercatcher images are fantastic.  At this point, I can not decide which image I prefer.  The orange beaks and legs are excellent and really make the image.  The other think I like, is the positioning of the birds.  Thank you so much.

LeanneC
    Participant

I was going to go b&w with this snowscape but something about it being “blue” just worked…

Snowscape

And some maple keys in b&w

The Beginning

ElinL
      Participant

Love both Leanne – your snow images are fabulous !

Eileen Thompson
        Participant

Both have very pleasing textures and I love their abstract qualities Leanne

Tom M
      Participant

Yes, the blue works. Never been able to photo snow well,you did…

LeanneC
        Participant

Thank you so much, Elin and Tom.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Love them both too Leanne. I think the blue works really well with the snowflakes and I adore the dynamic contrasts in the maple shot.

LeanneC
        Participant

Thanks Graham. Your comment made me think – I included a low contrast (by nature, the snowscape has to be) and high contrast shot without meaning to. The two photos “contrast” LOL!

E. Q. de Souza
      Participant

It looks really organic, if the snow flakes were green I would say it is a grass field….. and the high contrast and transparency really works on the black and white image!

LeanneC
        Participant

Thanks EQ – it was the veins that show when the light shines behind them, that drew me to them as a subject.

Rob Eyers
      Participant

I'm jealous of your ability to isolate the essence of a subject and showcase it's beauty Leanne. These are both wonderful.

LeanneC
        Participant

Thank you so much Rob. Means a lot coming from someone whose photos I admire so much!

Bobbie
      Participant

The blue definitely works because it tells us “cold”. I like both images Leanne but I think the maple leaves are absolutely stunning. You manged to get fanastic detail that gives us much more than “leaves”.

davidc
      Participant

Definitely a special skill to get such great photos Elin. Sorry meant  Leanne. 🙂

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  davidc.

ElinL
        Participant

You mean Leanne David – not that I would mind having mastered those images – they are wonderful 😉

LeanneC
        Participant

Thank you Bobbie and Davidc (and no worries davidc…I have done the same!).

Robert Apple
      Participant

Very nice Leanne

Nancyka
      Participant

A very imaginative way to photograph maple keys (here, we call this “helicopter”)

LeanneC
        Participant

Thank you Robert and Nancy – Yes, we call them helicopters too. I had to play with them too, after photographing them 🙂

Robert Apple
    Participant

Dusky Path
    Dusky Path

Rob Eyers
      Participant

A nice sense of mystery in this one Robert.

LeanneC
      Participant

This is a really cool shot Robert. I love how the snow at the side of the path ‘glows'

Eileen Thompson
      Participant

Intriguing picture Robert ….

Tobie

Love the golden glow!

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  Tobie.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Nice image. Looks like the view from inside an ancient castle with the heavy doors ajar. Very moody.

Tom M
    Participant

Barn in the Sunshine

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  Tom M.

Rob Eyers
      Participant

You do like barns Tom..I do  too. These both have better space around them than your first posting. I particularly like the second one with the dramatic sky.

Tom M
    Participant

Barn and a Tree

E. Q. de Souza
      Participant

Love barns and nothing like a dramatic sky to help in black and white!

Bobbie
      Participant

It speaks to me, Tom.

Graham Hart
    Participant

The round monstrosity is the police HQ in Adelaide city. Everything around it had a green tinge so…

Graham Hart
    Participant

This way, that way…

E. Q. de Souza
      Participant

It really tricks the eyes, first feeling I had was to rotate it! Haha!

davidc
      Participant

Like this one. Lots of shapes. Cool

Tom M
      Participant

Very abstract…like it..perhaps just a little dark,especially 2 arches, but probably from mid day contrast.

Tom

Graham Hart
      Participant

Thanks guys. Yes Tom, it was yet another scorcher in Adelaide with the sun bearing down from on high. I wanted to make the water the standout feature of this pic without too many distractions but I could probably have lightened some shadows a bit I agree.

Tersha
    Keymaster

looks like fairy land …

forest

Rob Eyers
      Participant

My eyes are searching for little people Diane! Nice processing choices.

Bobbie
      Participant

Absolutely agree with you Diane

davidc
      Participant

Makes me think of Witches or the Wicker Man. Would get out of there as quick a possible. SPOOKY.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Spooky indeed but nice toning. What is that peculiar structure, a bird feeder of some sort?

LeanneC
        Participant

I am curious about that too!

Tersha
          Keymaster

Thanks for the comments Rob, Graham, Leanne, Bobbie and David, I'm not sure what the structure is, they seem to have some sort of groups that make living willow ‘things' in the forest, I really should go back and see if there are any more.
          Here's a shot of a living willow arch that I saw there another time ….

living willow arch

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by  Tersha.

Tobie

It does indeed look like fairy land! Love it!

Tersha
        Keymaster

Thanks Tobie!

Mike57
    Participant

Here is an image that I took in 2015 with my cell phone. Then changed to B&W. I love the way the tree just wrapped its roots over the rock surface. I was trying for a moody feel, but yet delicate look to the leaves.

davidc
      Participant

There is beautiful light in this photo Mike. Great shot.

Tom M
      Participant

Mike,

Definitely great lighting, but perhaps the blacks are a little too black. I'd like to see a little texture in those rocks on the left, the top of the trunk of the main tree and perhaps the trees in bottom right.

Tom

Mike57
        Participant

Tom,

I teased out some more detail from the shadows, not a lot of information there, since it was saved as a jpg on the phone. I added some more sepia tone. Not sure if that was better or not. Hopefully having more detail in the dark areas helps, although I think it lost a bit of its dreaminess from the light filtering through the leaves.

Mike

Graham Hart
          Participant

Really like this pic (First version). Like the heavy blacks against the filtered light. Very  dramatic image.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  Graham Hart.

ndjetfan
    Participant

30/200/22 Canon 5div 100MM

there is beauty without color<script async src=”//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>

ElinL
      Participant

Beautiful !

Graham Hart
      Participant

Very nice. Almost looks like a negative.

Robert Apple
      Participant

Very Unique Flower Photo, I really like this one.

davidc
    Participant

Very delicate photo ndj

davidc
    Participant

Early windmills over the River Mersey.

Pickering Pastures-3<script async src=”//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>

ElinL
      Participant

Beautiful image David – one for the wall !

davidc
        Participant

Thanks Elin.

Tom M
      Participant

This one bothers me a little bit. The blurry water in FG. There is a better picture in there somewhere. The blurry water in the bottom of the photo should be cropped to just below the darker area or road in the middle. Would try an edit, but actually don't know how. Maybe someone can explain how.

ElinL
        Participant

Dear Tom. The Shark Tank is a forum where one gives constructive criticism.
        This forum is not the Shark Tank, but a challenge – where one either gives positive comments about images one likes and (better) something about why one conceives an image as worthy of positive remarks – or one does not comment……
        You are not the first person to confuse the two.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  ElinL.

Graham Hart
          Participant

I must admit Elin, I too sometimes forget which area I'm in once I get into posting comments. Don't know if this can be done or not or even if it would be desired but it would be great if we had some sort of reminder on screen to tweak the back of our minds when in the ST, or any of the forums for that matter? Several times I have posted something only to realise that it is inappropriate for the forum I'm in and had to edit it after posting.

ElinL
            Participant

Graham – you seem to be doing fine :). As I am not a moderator I perhaps should keep quiet.

Tom M
          Participant

Oh sorry, I didn't realize you couldn't critique in this section. Won't happen again.

Tom

davidc
            Participant

No worries Tom. I don't mind any form of critique. The out of focus at the bottom is not actually out. The tide was going out and left a thin layer of soft sand it looked like someone had plastered it with a trowel. Will post in shark tank  🙂

davidc
          Participant

Thanks Elin. 🙂

Rick K
    Participant

Yosemite

ElinL
      Participant

Magnificent ! Where is it taken ?

Eileen Thompson
      Participant

Wow – super shot! Love the reflections Rick ….

Barbie Kaseman
      Participant

I'm a sucker for B&W. This reflection is crystal clear. Makes me want to go backpacking really bad!

karenhy
      Participant

Beautiful!

Graham Hart
      Participant

Almost Ansell-esque. Beautiful.

Robert Apple
    Participant

Wood

Wood

LeanneC
      Participant

I love the background, crisscrossing… reeds? Very interesting, Robert.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  LeanneC.

Robert Apple
        Participant

Thanks Leanne,
        Actually its rye grass, and the stick in the fore ground is a rotting wooden tomato stake.
        It's a Macro.

ElinL
      Participant

Beautiful Robert – love the texture and colour.

Eileen Thompson
      Participant

Great juxtaposition of textures here – super Robert !

Bobbie
      Participant

The rich tones here are wonderful Robert.

davidc
      Participant

Great shot Robert feels warm.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Really nice image Robert. I was wondering, does bokeh only apply to circular lights or do the criss-crossed lights in the bg fall into this category too?

Rick K
    Participant

Lake Logan

Ann Wheatley
      Participant

I like the contrast of tree and water textures, here Rick.  Has a dreamy, “abandoned place” kind of feel; highly atmospheric and emotive.

Eileen Thompson
      Participant

Beautiful composition and contrasts – the little house (?) really grabs the attention ….. love it !

Graham Hart
      Participant

I second what Ann and Eileen have said. Greta  shot!

Leesa
      Participant

Beautiful! I so want to be floating on something in that lake!

Rose Marie
    Participant

black and white bunker

Eileen Thompson
      Participant

Intriguing picture – drawing me in !

Rose Marie
        Participant

It's the outside of a bunker on the beach at Agrigento, Sicily.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Very interesting. If it wasn't for the plastic tubing, I could have mistaken this for a shot inside an ancient pyramid or something similar.

Nancyka
    Participant

Had the challenge in mind when I visited the zoo today:

DSC_0601

Robert Apple
      Participant

Perfect

Eileen Thompson
      Participant

Ooh – very striking image, and I like the blue very much ….

Bobbie
      Participant

Nice Nancy. They look a lot friendlier than the blue ones we see in the water here in the summer.

karenhy
      Participant

Love the blues! And the 2 or 3 ‘aliens' watching from behind 🙂

Tersha
      Keymaster

Lovely!

Graham Hart
      Participant

Terrific image! Its very hot where I am at the moment and looking at this shot makes me feel a lot cooler. Thank you.

karenhy
    Participant

A couple recent B&W

ErielighthouseBW

jellyfishBW

Graham Hart
      Participant

Both fantastic shots. Love them.

Frogdaily
    Participant

Wow! So many wonderful photos 🙂

This is one I took today … macro shot of a tiny pine needle basket

Stitched together

karenhy
      Participant

Love the wood texture and twine/rope. Great macro!

Graham Hart
      Participant

Yes, great textures robert. I reckon rope would make a good challenge topic too.

Bobbie
      Participant

Great image Frog. I love shooting textures too but don't do it as well.

LeanneC
      Participant

Wow, Frog! Cool shot. I have a great appreciation for these pine needle baskets, as we made some in my grade four class last year. Their construction is a test of patience and perseverance.

Frogdaily
      Participant

Thank you so much for all your kind comments,

@karenhy and @grahamhart it is amazing how this looks like wood and rope, however it is actually pine needles and upholstery thread taken with MP-E65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo lens… the macro world is amazing

Thank you @bobbie this is actually 67 focus stacked shots

@leannec I totally agree – my sister in-law made this for me … takes lots of patience and perseverance

steveb
    Participant

Surfing Wales

Graham Hart
      Participant

They surf in Wales? Who knew! Wouldn't be heading out into the water here in Oz in those low-light conditions. That's what we call a shark tank! LOL 🙂

Anonymous

Hi everyone!

Just great shots seen here!! Congratulations to all contributors!

I want you to comment this image… all kind of suggestions desired!

Lastres - Asturias (Spain)

steveb
    Participant

Surfing Wales

Anonymous

Another one for comments:

Granja de S. Ildefonso - Segovia (Spain)

Tom M
      Participant

Like this a lot. Especially the “hole in the sky”.

Tom

Bobbie
      Participant

Intriguing and a bit frightening. Between the statue, the dark atmosphere and the light hole in the sky (a portal to another world??), it looks like “the end of days”.

Angel M. Sesma
        Participant

Hi there!
        That was just the intention when I took the picture. An apocalyptical scene showing fear of humans in front of the Divine!
        I like you enjoyed this picture!
        Thank you for your comments!

Graham Hart
      Participant

Reminds me of Monty Python's opening credits. Very cool shot.

Sven Midensol
    Participant

Boy

Sven Midensol
      Participant

Hi! Im new to Lightstalking 🙂 I love B&Wphoto. Lots of inspiration here 😉

Bobbie
      Participant

All 3 of these images have a strong emotional side. Love them!

Ann Wheatley
      Participant

Love this,  I know this is not the shark tank, but I'd be inclined to crop away the wooden panel on the left to focus all the attention on the little boy.

Sven Midensol
        Participant

This photo is really cropped already. There was alot of disturbing things around. But I kind of like the light/dark side.  For me, the child lights up the dark side 🙂  Thanks for your input!

Sven Midensol
    Participant

Man

Tom M
      Participant

A lot of emotion in this…

Tom

Sven Midensol
        Participant

Thanks for your input. This man made me very sad. I can't imagine what he has been thru…

Sven Midensol
    Participant

Girl

Rhonald John Rose
    Participant

What are they up to?

Ann Wheatley
      Participant

Hello Rhonald.  Can you tell us where you took this?

Tobie

Turned to sepia to accentuate the garter.

Garter

Tobie

I'm sure I've posted this before but I loved the outcome.Couple

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  Tobie.

Gerald Murphy
    Participant

Mount Cook from Lake Pukaki.

I used Lightroom Classic to change the Colour jpeg to B&WMount Cook from Lake Pukaki NZ

Ann Wheatley
      Participant

Hello Gerald, Were you visiting NZ? Or are you my neighbour?

Kent DuFault
    Participant

Saintly City Cat Show

“Saintly City Cat Show” participant in monochrome.

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Love it Kent.

karenhy
      Participant

Looks like one content cat. Love it in monotone.

Kent DuFault
        Participant

Hi Karen. Thanks for the comment. Yes, very content and purring like crazy!

Tersha
      Keymaster

Such contentment! 🙂

Graham Hart
      Participant

That shot's the cat's whiskers Kent. 🙂

Kent DuFault
        Participant

Thanks Graham. The cat show was a fun photo safari.

Eileen Thompson
      Participant

Aw – what a lovely shot of a relaxed pussy-cat in his dream world – bless ‘im …. ????????

ElinL
      Participant

Saintly cat in meditation – lovely.

Frogdaily
      Participant

Aaaaw I love this photo @kentdufault!

Tersha
    Keymaster

monotone hydrangea

Robert Apple
      Participant

Love the detail here Diane.

Eileen Thompson
      Participant

Great textures ….

Tersha
      Keymaster

Thanks Robert and Eileen!

Ann Wheatley
        Participant

These look like bougainvilleas which are often deep pink.  Did you use cross-processing, Tersha?

Tersha
          Keymaster

Hi Anne, the flowers are dried hydrangea heads, which are a pretty dull colour, so I lit them with light through a yellow filter.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Beautiful colour Diane. The flowers look like they've been sprinkled with a spice powder like tumeric.

Tersha
        Keymaster

Thanks Graham, they were lit using a yellow filter.

E. Q. de Souza
    Participant

Mist on canal in Amsterdam

Graham Hart
      Participant

Quite ethereal EQ. Like this a lot. You take great shots my friend.

E. Q. de Souza
        Participant

Thanks Graham, I think I'm saving the good ones for the challenges while being destroyed at the ST, haha!

Graham Hart
          Participant

Know what you mean though even the good ones can probably be improved with the brain's trust behind these forums. I've worked out that the most valuable piece of equipment isn't in your camera bag, its a fresh set of eyes.

Graham Hart
    Participant

A simple wire brush carefully aged in a plastic bucket to produce a rich colourful palette with a strong metallic aftertaste 🙂

Eileen Thompson
      Participant

I would never have guessed in a million years Graham – it's made a super absract !

Graham Hart
        Participant

Thank you Eileen. I was going to leave it a mystery but thought everyone would know what it was anyway so decided to name it afterall.

Rose Marie
      Participant

Fantastic idea and results.

Bobbie
      Participant

I came out wonderful Graham. Great abstract like Eileen said.

E. Q. de Souza
      Participant

Looks like it was in a fireplace, not in a bucket with water. I like a lot rusted metals tons, this one looks very abstract.

Graham Hart
        Participant

It was my BBQ plate cleaner, left in a bucket and victim of the elements.

LeanneC
      Participant

This has very festive feel to it, Graham. I had to laugh when I read what it actually is – very clever! It goes to show that we can make ordinary things very interesting through photography. Well done.

Bobbie
    Participant

2 images taken in murky reservoir water and edited. The originals were also monochrome but a very unappealing color).

Graham Hart
      Participant

This looks like a place that might harbour some two-headed fish.

Bobbie
    Participant

Graham Hart
      Participant

Like the swirls in the water in this one. The bottom rock looks like it has a face on the left side 🙂

Bobbie
      Participant

Thanks Graham. I agree – it looks a little like a petrified fish (but with only one head 🙂 ).

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by  Bobbie.

Frogdaily
      Participant

Very interesting Bobbie!

Bobbie
        Participant

Thanks Frog

Ann Wheatley
    Participant

I posted this in a throwdown.  Hope it's okay to include it here.

Giraffe with oxpeckers

Tom M
      Participant

Very minimalist-I like it.

Tom

LeanneC
      Participant

Love this Ann. When I first viewed it, “With a Little Help from my Friend” was playing and I had to chuckle.

Ann Wheatley
        Participant

Thanks Leanne, How about we start an ongoing throwdown called “Silly Tuesday” for humorous images with  postings only on Tuesdays?

E. Q. de Souza
    Participant

Winter Rose

Winter Rose

Graham Hart
      Participant

Beautiful colour, beautiful image. I'm no horticulturalist but its doesn't look like a rose to me?

E. Q. de Souza
        Participant

It is Graham, this one is a Helleborus Ivory Prince ‘Walhelivory’.

Commonly known as Hellebore, the Eurasian genus Helleborus consists of approximately 20 species of herbaceous or evergreen perennial flowering plants in the family Ranunculaceae, within it gave its name to the tribe of Helleboreae. Despite names such as Winter Rose, Christmas Rose and Lenten Rose, hellebores are not closely related to the rose family (Rosaceae). Many hellebore species are poisonous. Well, with the “Hell” in the name I’m not surprised.

In Lightroom I adjusted the Hue and Saturation to achieve that color, here is the original:

Winter Rose, Hellebore.

Graham Hart
          Participant

Interesting. We planted some hellibores a few months ago and the heat we've been experiencing lately has just knocked them on the head. They're now shrivelled up dry brown corpses lying on the ground. Hmmm, might a photo-op!

E. Q. de Souza
            Participant

This one is in a square low vase, not even with much earth in it, stays on a surface of a window with no direct sun but close to the floor. I hardly give it water, only when the flowers bloom I give a bit more, anyway the area there is pretty humid. Naturally the flowers bloom in the winter/spring…. So definitely no sun and high heat for this type of plant!

Maybe next time you will have more luck.

E. Q. de Souza
    Participant

Art and Graffiti on the wall.

Art and graffiti

E. Q. de Souza
    Participant

Dead End.

I have the colored version on the Shadow challenge but like this I think it works too, specially for this challenge. By the way when does these challenges end, I see challenges going on for months?

Dead End

Graham Hart
      Participant

Wow! What a great image EQ. Great light, atmosphere, sky's a bit noisy but what the heck? Looks like everyone's cycled home – I can almost smell the cooking.

E. Q. de Souza
        Participant

Thanks! I don't remember why this one is with the noisy sky, the original in colors I posted at the Shadows Challenge, guess what, also noisy sky.

LeanneC
    Participant

Thought I would throw this one from the weekend in…the colours are not artificial/processed. I used one of my daughter's scarves as a background – purple and glittery (thus the bokeh). It was a little dark and a tad grainy but I still like it.

Snowflakes – Rimed Dendrite, Small Star and Plate:

Rimed Dendrite, Small Star and Plate

Graham Hart
      Participant

Very nice effect. The beauty of these images is that they can never be repeated. Once the snowflake melts thats it. Truly moments captured in time.

E. Q. de Souza
      Participant

Amazing shapes and color of the snow flakes, well captured!

Tersha
      Keymaster

Beautiful Leanne!

Eileen Thompson
      Participant

Very striking image – love the colour and composition …

LeanneC
        Participant

Thank you Graham, EQ, Diane and Eileen, for your kind comments. Eileen, I heard there was snow in your neck of the woods last week (a little north and east of your area)! Did you get any? I was doing a snow dance for you 🙂

Frogdaily
      Participant

Wow! Very stunning Leanne … love the textures and color created by the scarf

Leesa
    Participant

I am trying to learn more about producing good monotone photographs.

Lined<script async src=”//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>

Gray B
    Participant

Duotone? Who needs a security camera when you've got this guy sitting in your tree?

Backyard Gargoyle

An old favorite of mine.

What looks old is really new.

Eileen Thompson
      Participant

Very imaginative!

Graham Hart
      Participant

The gargoyle looks kinda spooky. Nice duotones.

The B&W has me fooled, thought it was from the 50's. The superbowl 50 sign puts this image around 3 years old right but I also spotted the poster middle right hand side mentioning WWII. Wasn't till I looked at the shot on flickr that I noticed this is a fairly recent shot dated 2016. Do they still run old trams like those or are they retro-looking new ones? Love the effect you've achieved Gray.

Tersha
    Keymaster

dandelion

dew

Graham Hart
      Participant

Another terrific shot from the ice queen! I mean that in the nicest possible way of course Diane. This pic sort of draws my eyes from the outside edges into the centre where they linger over the lovely delicate strands of water crystals standing out against the soft contrasts in the bg. Beautiful.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.