Weekend Photography Challenge #373 How's the weather with you?

Home Photography Forums Weekend Photography Challenge Weekend Photography Challenge #373 How's the weather with you?

This topic contains 87 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  Tom M 6 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Tersha
    Keymaster

Mike57
    Participant

While we are still enduring the last few weeks of winter here in Ohio, I have fond memories of our last trip to Barbados. Absolutely gorgeous weather every day. This was a view that I captured on the eastern coast facing the Atlantic, where the winds were quite strong. I did a bit of digital magic to enhance the idea of the grasses being swept by the strong breezes, and the view of the sweeping valley with the rain clouds just off the shore. I hope you find it as emotive as I do. Mike

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by  Mike57.

LeanneC
      Participant

Lovely Mike. I like the effect you used on the grass – I can hear it moving in the wind! Great colours too. It definitely makes me feel warmer, which I appreciate, as we had snow yet again last night!

Tersha
      Keymaster

Lovely shot Mike, I really like the effects with grass, I can almost feel the warm breeze!

Leesa
    Participant

Here is a bit of sunny yellow for those of you with extreme weather. I finally have some sunshine, however, one cannot walk in the yard without wellies. We have had quite a bit of rain for the last several weeks.

Carolina in My Mind<script async src=”//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>

LeanneC
      Participant

These photos are warming me up! Thanks for reminding us, in the northern hemisphere, that spring isn't too far off, Leesa!

Tersha
      Keymaster

Lovely sunny yellow Leesa!

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Not my view in a few days when I return home. Hoping most of the nasty stuff is passed back there. For now….. Rodney Bay, St. Lucia

LeanneC
      Participant

I hope, for your sake, that the nasty stuff IS gone, Rob! Be hard to leave this sight. I am considering plugging in my sun lamp, putting on some shorts and a tank, and looking at a large version of your photo…I might just trick myself! 😉 Enjoy your last few days!

Leesa
      Participant

That gorgeous beach would be hard to leave!

E. Q. de Souza
    Participant

Took this shot with my iPhone but it shows the weather for sure, cold!

Icy Canal in Amsterdam

LeanneC
      Participant

What a neat sight, E.Q.!

Bobbie
      Participant

That's something we fortunately never see here! I like to look at it, less to be in it.

LeanneC
    Participant

Those of you that know me, know I love my snow (flakes) but even I have a limit. It snowed again last night, where we are, and the snow even followed us to Washington last weekend, where we anticipated seeing some early signs of spring. So, here is a shot of winter in south central B.C.:

Nicola Lake, B.C.

The lake IS frozen (actually very thick), but water on top of the ice is from a couple of days above zero.

And this is what the weather looked like in Bellingham, upon arrival:

Crossing the Nooksack

And after the snow melted:

After the Snow

Bobbie
      Participant

Gorgeous images Leanne. I especially like the first one of the river.  The composition leads you right in and the mix of the water, the ice and snow is fascinating. The colors add to the image of “cold”! Here's hoping you get some respite soon.

Kent DuFault
      Participant

Very nice Leanne. I especially like the first one of the ice covered rock.

Leesa
      Participant

Wonderful images! If I were to visit snow, I would love to see places like that lake.

LeanneC
        Participant

Thank you Bobbie, Kent and Leesa!

Erik Fransman
      Participant

Really like this one, Ice covered rocks. I have a good title for you (although I just used it myself… 🙂 )

E. Q. de Souza
    Participant

Pretty warm pictures above us Leanne, it makes me feel warm as well. Here in Amsterdam as in the north of Europe the weather is pretty cold, unfortunately here I hardly have snow that don't melt, I tried to photograph some snow flakes inspired by you but just got some blobs of melted ice. I will try next time with fresh snow and see if I get luck.

Micro Icy Snow

LeanneC
      Participant

The snowflake shots can be challenging but rewarding, E.Q. I did a round of shots that produced nothing worth keeping today (the flakes were melting quickly as we hovered around zero). Try putting some materials (scarves, glass, even ice) outside ahead of time, under cover, to get them nice and cold, before trying to catch the flakes. I hope you have success! Good luck.

Graham Hart
    Participant

We've just reached the end of summer here in Oz and that's the time when blackberries are everywhere to be found. I often pick and eat them while wandering through the hills on my photo excursions. They're considered an infestation here and I heard a radio program yesterday about how local councils regularly spray them with poison to kill them at this time of year…Gulp! They then spray them with dye to identify those that have been sprayed…which I haven't yet noticed thankfully. Don't think I'll be picking wild berries anymore though.

karenhy
      Participant

They look good Graham. I used to eat wild ones when out in the woods when I was younger. Unfortunately, there isn't many around here anymore. Be careful which ones you eat!

Bobbie
      Participant

Nice use of dof Graham. They remind me of the mulberries we have here. Please, do us a favor and buy your berries in the store.

LeanneC
      Participant

Every time I see this shot my mouth waters, Graham. It seems a shame they get sprayed! I remember picking blackberries with my Mom and sister when I was little. The bush that we were picking from started to shake violently. We didn't wait around to see if it was a bear…we just ran!

Leesa
      Participant

I love you photo. It takes me back more than a few years. Wild blackberries have almost disappeared where I lived as a child. There once were large patches of berries all around our rural neighborhood. Berry pickin' was an essential summer activity. Usually they were ready in time to make cobbler for 4th of July picnics. In good years we also made jam. No commercial product compares with those wild berries.

karenhy
    Participant

Went to New Orleans last week and had a week of above ave temps-80's all week and sunny. Just 1 night of light rain. Came back home to freezing weather and snow, rain and flooding:(

Jackson Square NOLA

Bobbie
      Participant

At least this beautiful shot will help you remember the warmth Karen. The colors and the lighting work to give it a slightly dreamlike quality.

Graham Hart
      Participant

I like this pic Karen, very well composed I'd say. Really conveys the feeling of being there quite well.

chris pook
    Participant

The Beast from the East meets Geneva Airport;

Travels in time and place

iPhone X and Snapseed.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by  chris pook.

Graham Hart
      Participant

I really like the first pic especially Chris. It is very artistic. Love the lines, angles and shades of black, white and grey..

chris pook
        Participant

thanks Graham.   I liked the view as well.  If it were just a little simpler… but thanks.

34 degrees C (93.2 F), too hot to go outside…

Also too hot to fly away! Thankfully.

Female Blue Skimmer Dragonfly.

P3030410

Bobbie
      Participant

WOW! A pilot getting ready for takeoff.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Beautiful. This picture is so sharp I need a band-aid.

Tom M
      Participant

Yes-very sharp photo. Well done…

Tom

Tersha
    Keymaster

I went for a walk up the lane yesterday ….
    snow sculptures …

snow sculptres

snow sculptres 02

and a stuck car ….

stuck

chris pook
      Participant

Brrr!!!!

Bobbie
      Participant

That's some pretty deep snow Diane. I think you've conveyed the weather very convincingly.  Hope you bundle up well.

Kent DuFault
      Participant

Love the last one! What a great storytelling photo!

Leesa
      Participant

Wow! That must have been quite a fierce storm!

Tom M
      Participant

love the 1st pic. I'm shivering cause it reminds me of NY winters. Only miss them a little though…

Tom

chris pook
    Participant

I'm going again… Selfie (sorry sorry sorry, and I'm not even a teenager, but you know, whatevers…)

Impressed with iPhone X camera, more than the weather.  This was skiing in France a couple of days ago.  Back in the office now in shirtsleeves.  🙂

Bobbie
      Participant

I surprised you could even manage to move a finger to take the shot Chris. Stay warm (and off snowy runways)!

LeanneC
      Participant

I see you are a little more ‘covered' in this selfie, Chris! ????

chris pook
        Participant

Wouldn't want to spoil your breakfast Leanne.  🙂

Kent DuFault
      Participant

That looks VERY cold!

Alex
    Participant

So it's not only me here who “enjoys” snow and cold… whew. Will someone tell March that it is a spring month? 😀

Bobbie
      Participant

Glad to be of service: Hey March, think SPRING!

LeanneC
      Participant

Headed out to take snowflake photos…will chat with March right after that 😉

Bobbie
    Participant

I haven't been using the camera lately, new term starts tomorrow. Here is one I posted before but it's typical of what is going on now.

Sorry to all of you dealing with cold, snow and ice – it's hotter than usual for this time of the year: 29C here today (about 84F). We're just about at the end of our “red” month. In a week or two the red anemones will be replaced by yellow flowers all over the place.

LeanneC
      Participant

Beautiful Bobbie! Love the feeling of warmth that your photo conveys. Those red anemones are gorgeous.

Bobbie
        Participant

Thanks Leanne

Robert Apple
    Participant

COLD !
    Snowy Pines
    Heading for the Storm
    Foggy Mountains
    Snowy Day at Roberts Ranch

LeanneC
      Participant

I feel your cold, Robert!

Jeff Zias
    Participant

Not extreme in any way, but perhaps a cheery view from yesterday, with cotton balls in the sky and a few new friends looking on …

Pillowy clouds in late winter

A Few Friends Looking On

Robert Apple
    Participant

Just took this.

When the Wind Roars on a Frosty Day
    When the Wind Roars on a Frosty Daynwbah

Bobbie
      Participant

Nice Robert. I like the way we can see the ice crystals on the branch.

Tom M
    Participant

Along a local river in TN. We've had a total of about 2 inches of snow this year. Sorry about that to all in colder climates.

Tom

Tom M
    Participant

Upstate NY. Cold sun. 1/[email protected]/4.5.

Tom

Leesa
      Participant

Lovely. No doubt that is some feeble sunshine.

Bobbie
      Participant

Love the title (and the image). Until I saw it larger I couldn't tell if part of the image was a reflection in water.

Tom M
        Participant

There is a lake in the BG.

Frogdaily
    Participant

After a few days of heavy rain even the seagulls were soaking in the sun!

Soaking in the Sun

Bobbie
      Participant

Beautiful Frog. The composition and lighting really works for me. The sharpness is something I'll never manage to get.

Frogdaily
        Participant

Thank you so much Bobbie!

Graham Hart
    Participant

Came across this shot from a few months ago today. Not new but thought it might warm you guys battling the Beast from the East.

Heading out to look for crabs.

Kent DuFault
    Participant

Blizzard 004

This pretty much sums up today's weather in Minnesota.

Leesa
      Participant

This certainly captures the essence of harsh winter weather. Wow, it looks cold! It's also a perfect example of why I live in the deep South.

Bobbie
      Participant

I remember driving in weather like that in Michigan. Always made me very tense. Stay safe Kent (and everyone else).

Robert Apple
      Participant

That looks familiar. ????

Robert Apple
    Participant

Another example of Wind Sickles.
    If you notice they are only on one side of the branches, and even the rope. All pointing horizontally and in the same direction. This is what happens when frost tries to form and the wind is blowing an average of 40 mph all day.
    The best I could do with a cell phone in that fierce of wind.
    Click for Larger.

Wind sickles.

Tersha
    Keymaster

In the wind and snow ….

snowy and windy

snowy and windy

Bobbie
      Participant

I went into the page from bottom so I saw the bird first and just knew it was your image even before I saw your name Diane. Amazing catch in weather like that (or any time). Whatever  is falling in the background gives the impression of a lot of wind.

Kent DuFault
      Participant

These are great Diane. I especially love the 2nd one.

LeanneC
      Participant

Love these Diane. It looks like the wind is whipping the snow around, but the birds are so crisp. I bet those were tricky shots. Nicely done.

Robert Apple
      Participant

Very nice Diane.

Horatio Hadley
      Participant

Tersha, the bird images are wonderful!  The colours are perfect and like Leanne said, you did an incredible job of keeping the birds sharp.  Terrific images.  Thank you.

Erik Fransman
    Participant

“On the Rocks” Click for Flickr (is better)
    On the Rocks

Kent DuFault
      Participant

I like that!

Bobbie
      Participant

So do I! The rocks look so smooth and slippery and you picked the perfect title.

LeanneC
      Participant

Awesome Erik! And as Bobbie said, perfect title. It would not have worked for mine, as it would have been “on the rock” LOL

Robert Apple
      Participant

That's pretty Cool Erik, reminds me of my time in the Aleutian islands before things got really cold.

Robert Apple
    Participant

The Sun peeked out way in the distance for a few and lit up these Bluffs.

Sunny Bluffs

Horatio Hadley
      Participant

That looks cold.  It is a very nice photograph.  I really like the light on the mountains, as it makes the snow look that much colder.  Thank you.

ElinL
    Participant

Here the weather is not for biki´s – but it´s absolutely wonderful, thank you 🙂

Winter wonderland

Paula
    Participant

We have had very unusual snow in SE England, the Birds were all puffed up and not very impressed. We did however have a visit from a group of ‘Red listed' Fieldfares, 20 of them for 3 days… the usual birds were not impressed to say the least!One of the group of 20 Fieldfare

Paula
    Participant

Bullfinch

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar