Weekend Photography Challenge #411 Lights

Home Photography Forums Weekend Photography Challenge Weekend Photography Challenge #411 Lights

This topic contains 154 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  Kent DuFault 2 days, 3 hours ago.

• Author

Tersha
    Keymaster

A lot of us have Christmas stuff going on, so there's plenty of opportunities there.
    For those that aren't into Xmas light, theres neon lights, lamps, streetlights, candlelight, moonlight ….. but show the source of the light in your shot!

https://www.lightstalking.com/clipping-the-highlights/ by Dahlia Ambrose

MichaelK
    Participant

My image is the front porch of a lodge in southern Ohio. I can't wait to go back and rock on the porch with my favorite beverage, listening to the birds in the woods. Mike

Pamela Winter
      Participant

What a wonderful memory this image has for you, Mike.  And it's a great image, too!

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Looks like a very comfy place to relax with a beverage.  I like the contrast of the yellowish porch lights and the blue light that surrounds it.

Bobbie
      Participant

Nice use of symmetry Mike.

Gray B
      Participant

Mike, the inviting steps leading up to this very comfortable looking cottage makes we want to spend a long weekend here. Perhaps a hot beverage sitting next to me in that rocker.  Good work.

Tersha
      Keymaster

Such a lovely place to sit Mike, love the blue and gold light.

LeanneC
      Participant

Very inviting, Mike. Love the blue and gold tones as well.

Kent DuFault
      Participant

I like this too, Mike. It has a wonderful mood.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Very nice and inviting spot Mike. I really admire the way you always keep control of the whites and highlights in your pics, just slightly blown but not too much. Works really well. John Denver could've written a song about a place like this 🙂

MichaelK
        Participant

Thank you, guys for your kind comments. Mike

SimonParks
    Participant

LED lights throw a pool of luminosity beneath the beach brolley as night approaches:

If you should need me tonight

MichaelK
      Participant

This looks like a wonderful spot to watch the setting sun. Very serene, with a perfect sunset. Hopefully you had a Corona in hand and toasted the end of a beautiful day. Mike

SimonParks
        Participant

Estrella de Levante – Local beer from Murcia

Tersha
      Keymaster

Gorgeous colours Simon, a really good place to watch the sun set!

LeanneC
      Participant

Great colour and beautiful sunset, Simon. I almost feel warmer looking at this photo!

Graham Hart
      Participant

Love this one Simon. I like the way the umbrella mimics the mountain range in the distance which then leads the eye to the setting sun. Great compo. Feel like a beer now.

Pamela Winter
    Participant

I was utterly entranced when I saw the late afternoon light filtered through this tree on the banks of the Suwannee River in northern Florida. I didn't think the picture did any justice to the actual scene, but it's close. (This is NOT enhanced)

MichaelK
      Participant

Pamela, the multi-colored light rays are amazing! What a beautiful effect to be able to capture. Mike

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Just what Mike said. Those colored streaks of light are amazing. And the highlights of the moss in the tree PLUS the green glow of the plants at the bottom make for a Fantasia like image. Wow.

Holly K
      Participant

Such a beautiful shot!

Bobbie
      Participant

The rainbow effect is intriguing. I wonder what caused it. Good eye leading to a beautiful image, Pamela.

Gray B
      Participant

Yes, and the light filtering through the leaves give a warm, and perhaps mysterious, feeling.

Tersha
      Keymaster

Beautiful light Pamela, so unusual!

LeanneC
      Participant

Wow! That is really interesting. Great catch.

Preston
      Participant

The rainbow light streaks are amazing! Great shot.

Pamela Winter
        Participant

Thank you ALL for your wonderful words.  I wish I knew what caused the rainbow streaks – I'd duplicate the effort.  When I saw the result of the image, I was pretty awed, too.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Fascinating Pamela! Never seen rainbow spears before. There must have been a lot of moisture in the air for the light rays to be defracted in this way?

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Mobile shot. Galaxy S7 edge.

Gray B
      Participant

… and a true definition and illustration of this week's challenge.  This is a fun image Erik that made me smile.

Tersha
      Keymaster

Love this Erik! 🙂

LeanneC
      Participant

That is so fun! Where are these lights?

Erik Fransman
      Participant

The Lamp is an object at this year's Amsterdam Light Festival. It is designed by the Dutch artist Jeroen Henneman. I was in my hometown Amsterdam on a location recce with a producer of Discovery for a shoot we had this week. We passed by these lamps and I remembered this weeks challenge. Took out my Galaxy and here you go. It's not me in the image. It's the Discovery producer.

Kent DuFault
      Participant

This shot is awesome, Erik!

Ann Wheatley
      Participant

Super composition with clever use of angles and the the tiny light in the background in the mirror image position.  Love it!

Graham Hart
      Participant

What a cool shot Erik! Like the spot colour effect of the green jacket too. (That must be Neon Leon 🙂 ).

MichaelK
    Participant

Very whimsical shot, Erik! Looks like there is another desk lamp further behind you, or is that a reflection?

DSC08411 re-edited

Tersha
      Keymaster

Great combination of lights David!

LeanneC
      Participant

Beautiful! Love how you combined the light painting and Christmas lights.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Terrific image David. Neighbours must think your a bit kooky spinning light balls in the front garden?

And to prove that it is not ALL lightpainting in my photo's…

DSC09256_

Holly K
      Participant

How long was the exposure in the bridge photo?  The light and colors are beautiful.

Tom M
      Participant

Maybe you didn't light paint this David, but you did a masterful job of painting the light…

Graham Hart
      Participant

What Tom said. Fantastic image David.

samet
      Participant

Nice shot David.

city

Tersha
      Keymaster

Wonderful light display, great shot!

LeanneC
      Participant

That is stunning!

Graham Hart
      Participant

What a smorgasboard of light. The rooftop lights are brilliant but I'm loving the interplay of the light and water below. It looks like the light show here is projected onto the waterjet sprays? So cool.

Graham Hart
    Participant

Tugboat.

Dave Watkins
      Participant

A beautiful shot Graham. The tug in muted colors in one corner and sunset colors in the opposite corner. The contrast of these colors from upper left to lower right gives the tug a perception of movement. Thumbs up.

Tom M
      Participant

Nice Graham…

Bobbie
      Participant

Totally agree with Dave. It looks like the tug is coming home after a hard day of work.

Gray B
      Participant

From a great perspective Graham, we you on a bridge?

Tersha
      Keymaster

Love how you've caught the rays of sun hitting the boat Graham!

LeanneC
      Participant

Interesting perspective! A nice sense of movement created when your eye goes first to the bright sun and then to the tug. Great effect.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Thanks everyone. This was taken from the deck of a cruise ship somewhere in the South Pacific – New Caledonia? The tug had just accompanied us out of harbour to see us on our way.

Dave Watkins
        Participant

New Caledonia? Did you see any sign of Quinton McHale or Captain Binghamton?

Kent DuFault
      Participant

I agree! Wonderful shot Graham!

Erik Fransman
      Participant

Great shot Graham. Is it a drone or just close to the shore?

Preston
      Participant

Excellent shot Graham.  I love how you captured the sunbeams.

Frogdaily
    Participant

I put my Christmas tree up for the last challenge but it fits better here for this Theme … so I’m going to repost it here … a little light painting around the tree

O Christmas Tree

Long exposure Christmas Lights

Christmas Extravaganza

Tersha
      Keymaster

Glad you reposted this Frog, I thought of it when I posted the challenge, lovely lighting!

LeanneC
      Participant

That is one “blinged” out tree! Fun shot. I love it.

Tom M
      Participant

I love the cat just laying there perfectly comfortable there in the 1st shot Froggy…

Sensational! I love these

Graham Hart
      Participant

Love it! A Christmas tree with a sparkly halo. Now if you could market that effect, you'd sell a million!

MichaelK
        Participant

Love the second one. Very psychedelic! Reminds me of my college days! 😉

Frogdaily
      Participant

Thank you all for your kind comments!

logos189
      Participant

Wow! Amazing work, Frog. You did some great light painting.

Frogdaily
        Participant

Thank you so much Logos

Bobbie
    Participant

Noticed this construction site while on a trip with our students.

ElinL
      Participant

Great image Bobbie !The lines, different textures and lightning add up to a perfect unity.

Gray B
      Participant

There is a great story here Bobbie and it looks like all work.  Your students didn't stick their hands into the plaster? 🙂

Bobbie
        Participant

Thanks Gray.
        No idea if they even saw it – we weren't together. They're adults and were going through the city in small autonomous groups doing a scavenger hunt to learn about it's history and uniqueness.

Tersha
      Keymaster

Great image Bobbie, simple and well composed!

LeanneC
      Participant

I love this Bobbie! The balance of light and dark is lovely. I agree with Gray…there is a story.

Tom M
      Participant

love the lighting and compo in this Bobbie…

Kent DuFault
      Participant

Great image Bobbie!

Graham Hart
      Participant

A great rendition of light and shade Bobbie. I agree with the others, there is a story here, maybe several. Nice rendering (metaphorically speaking).

MichaelK
        Participant

I love the various textures and how they are emphasized with the lighting. Very nice! Mike

Bobbie
      Participant

Thanks so much to all of you for your comments. It's always a wonderful feeling to hear from people whose creations often inspire me.

Admins – I wish there was a forum situated between the non-critical challenge forums and the totally critical shark tank – a place where we could get some “friendly suggestions”.

Gray B
    Participant

From a recent trip to Scotland – Cawdor Castle

Cawdor Castle #1

Cawdor Castle #2

Tersha
      Keymaster

Elegant, and lovely gold light, good shots Gray!

Graham Hart
      Participant

Lovely shots Gray. The first one is straight out of the set of ‘Midsummer Murders', a TV show I was watching recently. Lovely golden hues.

Bobbie
        Participant

We really liked that show Graham but unfortunately we haven't had it for years.

Bobbie
      Participant

Nice work making the lighting the focus, Gray.

Tersha
    Keymaster

lamps ….

lamps .....

ElinL
      Participant

Love it !

Graham Hart
      Participant

Makes me think of the battle of light over dark Diane. Light always wins!

Bobbie
      Participant

Very effective Diane. The lighting on the … (I don't know what it is) makes the scene look ready for a seance.

LeanneC
    Participant

I can't resist sharing this guy (I photograph Frosty every year) from our Country Christmas Parade:

Frosty

And here is one straight into the sun on a foggy morning:

Another Beginning

Tom M
      Participant

Great compo and mood in the horses through the fence Leanne…

ElinL
        Participant

Agree with Tom.

Tom M
      Participant

Christmas tree lights bokeh…

Tersha
        Keymaster

I really like colourful bokeh Tom,cool shot!

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Seems Frosty may have a bit too much egg nog. 🙂

Horses framed by fence is a really nice image.

Don't know why this showed up under Toms. Hit reply three times on Leanne's post and all three showed my text box under Tom's. Third time I went ahead and submitted my reply.

Nice colorful bokeh Tom. 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  Dave Watkins.
      • This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  Dave Watkins.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Did frosty fall over or are there too many low-hanging cables along the route Leanne? The horses/fence pic is great. Nicely framed and who would have thought barbed wire could hold such an important place in the compo?

(My reply is in the wrong spot too?)

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  Graham Hart.

Kent DuFault
      Participant

Both of these are awesome Leanne! Very nice.

Bobbie
      Participant

Love the image with the horses Leanne. The composition, large sun and the color (pp?) work together to start a story.

LeanneC
      Participant

Thanks for kind comments all of you! Graham and Dave: Frosty is ‘tipsy' as he is ‘made' out of a cement mixer. If you look closely at the right you can see the front of the truck, in red. He parks in front of the local Redi-mix until Christmas. My favourite float in our little parade.

Bobbie – no crazy PP in this one…the fog is responsible for the sun looking larger. The colours were barely tweaked…just enhanced a touch (I am a minimalist in that department typically). It was a pretty awesome morning for interesting light. I always try and get out when there is fog.

Funny thing…I found out after sharing the horses on Twitter, that the horses belong to a friend. They were very friendly and I had nose smears on my lens to prove it. This shot was taken just before they came over for visits!

LeanneC
        Participant

This is “Chimp” just before a lens kiss!

Chimp

bucweeet
    Participant

Shot this last summer in available light, hand held.  Just had a chance to look at it.

Graham Hart
      Participant

I really really like this bucweeet. Feels like every photon has been used to maximum efficiency with none wasted on unimportant peripheral stuff. The yellow lights against the pale blue window curtains, hovering above the table setting make for a dark mystery thriller story ambience.

Click
    Participant

Fireworks

Light up the night

Graham Hart
      Participant

Very cool image Click. Reminds me of an electron microscope image of a virus or something.

Kent DuFault
      Participant

I really like this too! Nice.

MichaelK
    Participant

Vishal, your post started out with some great suggestions, but ended with advertising for services. I don't think that this is allowed on this discussion group. Mike

Tersha
      Keymaster

Mike, you were right, I’ve spammed it!

Kent DuFault
    Participant

Downtown Seattle at dusk.

Seattle, Washington

Shanghai Skyline at Night

Shanghai, China

Both shot with the iPhone 8+ and hand held.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Nice colourful pics Kent with some similarities. Two big buildings with a taller tower between them. I'm struck by the thought that despite the traffic in the first pic and the lack of traffic in the second, the sky remains the same colour in both parts of the world. Is pollution just a big hoax 🙂 LOL!

Kent DuFault
        Participant

I always love your comments Graham. I was actually struck by the similarities as well, which is why I posted both of them. Of the two places… China definitely has WAY more air pollution. Although, the locals told me it's getting far better than it was 15 years ago.

Holly K
    Participant

On the Porch

Graham Hart
      Participant

I like the ‘welcome home' feel of this shot Holly. I reckon nighttime porches would make a good throwdown.

Holly K
        Participant

Thanks, Graham.  I thought of the motel commercial where the narrator says, “And we'll leave the light on.”

Tersha
    Keymaster

I got some new aperture plates for my Petzval lens, they have different shapes in them, so I played with xmas lights yesterday ….

flower bokeh

plus extension tube
    flower bokeh

Ann Wheatley
    Participant

Car lights and street lamps on Rocks Road, in Nelson, New Zealand

https://www.eyeem.com/p/116743007

And a question for Rob:  Why is it that Tersha's link to a photo on flickr works, while my link to a photo on EyeEm doesn't?

Tersha
      Keymaster

Is EyeEm a commercial site Anne? I couldn't see any links to grab.
      We need @admin to answer this?

That is a function of WordPress. They coded WordPress to do that for Flickr, but not other sites.

Preston
    Participant

These are the work lights in the basement of a barn.  I'm drawn to how they aren't straight.

2018-12-03_09-44-34

Kent DuFault
      Participant

Interesting insight, Preston. They do have a lovely curve. Don't they.

Preston
        Participant

Thanks Kent.  When everything is built square, some assymetry makes for  fun time

Tersha
      Keymaster

I like this too, it works really well!

Robert Apple
    Participant

Low Light Mountains at Jackson Wy
    This was a high res shot which is composed of 9 exposures total, total shutter time of 6 minutes. There was a meteor shower going at the time and if you look close there are five captured in this scene through the foggy sky.

Low Light Mountains at Jackson Wy

Holly K
      Participant

Beautiful overall lighting plus the light trail.  The photo conveys a mood.

Tersha
      Keymaster

The car lights make this Robert, although the overall light is lovely too!

Click
    Participant

Where too much is never enough

Las Vegas

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Thersa, thank you for this challenge. So much creativity. o many great pics. Enjoying it!

Tersha
      Keymaster

Glad you're enjoying it Erik, so am I.There are so many different interpretations of the challenge, I love seeing them al! 🙂

Holly K
    Participant

How Do You Decorate a Palm Tree?

Mostahfiz
    Participant

zayd_christmas_lights

Just managed to grab the shot as my boys were drawn to the festive shop window display.

Kent DuFault
      Participant

That is a wonderful shot!

Mostahfiz
        Participant

Thank you so much for your kind words

Erik Fransman
      Participant

Very Nice.

Dave Watkins
      Participant

You've captured a moment in time that will last forever. A very special memory. Thumbs up.

Robert Apple
      Participant

Embodies the magic of Christmas and the wonder in a child's eyes.

Erik Fransman
    Participant

This is an image from the Amsterdam Light Festival.
    Parabolic Lightcloud. I like the form. But the description of the Light Festival / Artists what it means and is supposed to convey give me goose pimples  (or in Dutch, kromme tenen).
    Galaxy S7 edge:
    Click for flicks, bigger is better:
    Parabolic Lightcloud, ALF 2018

Mostahfiz
    Participant

Thats very nice, pleasing symmetry and colours.

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Lots of great posts in this thread!

This is part of a light/water display in Puebla, Mexico.

Took a lot of images there with the intent of doing some blending once I’m back to my computer.

Robert Apple
    Participant

Night Skiing at Jackson Hole.

Dave Watkins
    Participant

Murano glass Christmas tree. Circa 1956.

Donna
    Participant

Tempe Lightrail

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.