- December 1, 2018 at 5:53 am #377784
A lot of us have Christmas stuff going on, so there's plenty of opportunities there.
For those that aren't into Xmas light, theres neon lights, lamps, streetlights, candlelight, moonlight ….. but show the source of the light in your shot!
https://www.lightstalking.com/clipping-the-highlights/ by Dahlia Ambrose
- December 1, 2018 at 9:12 am #377788
My image is the front porch of a lodge in southern Ohio. I can't wait to go back and rock on the porch with my favorite beverage, listening to the birds in the woods. Mike
- December 1, 2018 at 5:04 pm #377806
What a wonderful memory this image has for you, Mike. And it's a great image, too!
- December 1, 2018 at 6:31 pm #377824
Looks like a very comfy place to relax with a beverage. I like the contrast of the yellowish porch lights and the blue light that surrounds it.
- December 2, 2018 at 3:06 am #377954
Nice use of symmetry Mike.
- December 2, 2018 at 11:39 am #377987
Mike, the inviting steps leading up to this very comfortable looking cottage makes we want to spend a long weekend here. Perhaps a hot beverage sitting next to me in that rocker. Good work.
- December 2, 2018 at 3:45 pm #378008
Such a lovely place to sit Mike, love the blue and gold light.
- December 2, 2018 at 5:57 pm #378032
Very inviting, Mike. Love the blue and gold tones as well.
- December 3, 2018 at 8:29 am #378153
I like this too, Mike. It has a wonderful mood.
- December 3, 2018 at 8:56 pm #378335
Very nice and inviting spot Mike. I really admire the way you always keep control of the whites and highlights in your pics, just slightly blown but not too much. Works really well. John Denver could've written a song about a place like this 🙂
- December 4, 2018 at 5:02 am #378405
Thank you, guys for your kind comments. Mike
- December 1, 2018 at 11:41 am #377794
- December 1, 2018 at 6:14 pm #377822
This looks like a wonderful spot to watch the setting sun. Very serene, with a perfect sunset. Hopefully you had a Corona in hand and toasted the end of a beautiful day. Mike
- December 2, 2018 at 3:47 pm #378009
Gorgeous colours Simon, a really good place to watch the sun set!
- December 2, 2018 at 5:59 pm #378033
Great colour and beautiful sunset, Simon. I almost feel warmer looking at this photo!
- December 3, 2018 at 8:58 pm #378336
Love this one Simon. I like the way the umbrella mimics the mountain range in the distance which then leads the eye to the setting sun. Great compo. Feel like a beer now.
- December 1, 2018 at 5:14 pm #377807
I was utterly entranced when I saw the late afternoon light filtered through this tree on the banks of the Suwannee River in northern Florida. I didn't think the picture did any justice to the actual scene, but it's close. (This is NOT enhanced)
- December 1, 2018 at 6:12 pm #377821
Pamela, the multi-colored light rays are amazing! What a beautiful effect to be able to capture. Mike
- December 1, 2018 at 6:41 pm #377826
Just what Mike said. Those colored streaks of light are amazing. And the highlights of the moss in the tree PLUS the green glow of the plants at the bottom make for a Fantasia like image. Wow.
- December 1, 2018 at 10:43 pm #377938
Such a beautiful shot!
- December 2, 2018 at 3:08 am #377955
The rainbow effect is intriguing. I wonder what caused it. Good eye leading to a beautiful image, Pamela.
- December 2, 2018 at 11:41 am #377991
Yes, and the light filtering through the leaves give a warm, and perhaps mysterious, feeling.
- December 2, 2018 at 3:48 pm #378010
Beautiful light Pamela, so unusual!
- December 2, 2018 at 6:01 pm #378034
Wow! That is really interesting. Great catch.
- December 3, 2018 at 3:06 pm #378211
The rainbow light streaks are amazing! Great shot.
- December 3, 2018 at 8:19 pm #378307
Thank you ALL for your wonderful words. I wish I knew what caused the rainbow streaks – I'd duplicate the effort. When I saw the result of the image, I was pretty awed, too.
- December 3, 2018 at 9:01 pm #378337
Fascinating Pamela! Never seen rainbow spears before. There must have been a lot of moisture in the air for the light rays to be defracted in this way?
- December 1, 2018 at 5:52 pm #377818
Mobile shot. Galaxy S7 edge.
- December 2, 2018 at 11:44 am #377995
… and a true definition and illustration of this week's challenge. This is a fun image Erik that made me smile.
- December 2, 2018 at 3:49 pm #378011
Love this Erik! 🙂
- December 2, 2018 at 6:01 pm #378035
That is so fun! Where are these lights?
- December 3, 2018 at 8:25 am #378150
The Lamp is an object at this year's Amsterdam Light Festival. It is designed by the Dutch artist Jeroen Henneman. I was in my hometown Amsterdam on a location recce with a producer of Discovery for a shoot we had this week. We passed by these lamps and I remembered this weeks challenge. Took out my Galaxy and here you go. It's not me in the image. It's the Discovery producer.
- December 3, 2018 at 8:30 am #378154
This shot is awesome, Erik!
- December 3, 2018 at 8:17 pm #378305
Ann Braun WheatleyParticipant
Super composition with clever use of angles and the the tiny light in the background in the mirror image position. Love it!
- December 3, 2018 at 9:04 pm #378338
What a cool shot Erik! Like the spot colour effect of the green jacket too. (That must be Neon Leon 🙂 ).
- December 1, 2018 at 6:17 pm #377823
Very whimsical shot, Erik! Looks like there is another desk lamp further behind you, or is that a reflection?
- December 1, 2018 at 8:16 pm #377853
- December 2, 2018 at 3:52 pm #378012
Great combination of lights David!
- December 2, 2018 at 6:02 pm #378036
Beautiful! Love how you combined the light painting and Christmas lights.
- December 3, 2018 at 9:05 pm #378339
Terrific image David. Neighbours must think your a bit kooky spinning light balls in the front garden?
- December 11, 2018 at 6:55 pm #379561
Especially given it was their front garden Graham!
- December 1, 2018 at 8:18 pm #377854
- December 1, 2018 at 10:45 pm #377939
How long was the exposure in the bridge photo? The light and colors are beautiful.
- December 2, 2018 at 5:34 am #377964
Thanks Holly. That was 15 seconds, f:9, ISO:100
- December 2, 2018 at 12:48 am #377951
Maybe you didn't light paint this David, but you did a masterful job of painting the light…
- December 2, 2018 at 5:34 am #377965
Thank you Tom!
- December 3, 2018 at 9:06 pm #378340
What Tom said. Fantastic image David.
- December 5, 2018 at 3:00 am #378669
Nice shot David.
- December 1, 2018 at 8:20 pm #377855
- December 2, 2018 at 3:54 pm #378016
Wonderful light display, great shot!
- December 2, 2018 at 6:03 pm #378038
That is stunning!
- December 3, 2018 at 9:10 pm #378341
What a smorgasboard of light. The rooftop lights are brilliant but I'm loving the interplay of the light and water below. It looks like the light show here is projected onto the waterjet sprays? So cool.
- December 2, 2018 at 12:00 am #377945
- December 2, 2018 at 12:25 am #377946
A beautiful shot Graham. The tug in muted colors in one corner and sunset colors in the opposite corner. The contrast of these colors from upper left to lower right gives the tug a perception of movement. Thumbs up.
- December 2, 2018 at 12:48 am #377952
- December 2, 2018 at 3:10 am #377956
Totally agree with Dave. It looks like the tug is coming home after a hard day of work.
- December 2, 2018 at 11:47 am #377996
From a great perspective Graham, we you on a bridge?
- December 2, 2018 at 3:55 pm #378017
Love how you've caught the rays of sun hitting the boat Graham!
- December 2, 2018 at 6:05 pm #378040
Interesting perspective! A nice sense of movement created when your eye goes first to the bright sun and then to the tug. Great effect.
- December 2, 2018 at 9:49 pm #378086
Thanks everyone. This was taken from the deck of a cruise ship somewhere in the South Pacific – New Caledonia? The tug had just accompanied us out of harbour to see us on our way.
- December 4, 2018 at 11:28 pm #378617
New Caledonia? Did you see any sign of Quinton McHale or Captain Binghamton?
- December 3, 2018 at 8:31 am #378155
I agree! Wonderful shot Graham!
- December 4, 2018 at 2:36 am #378390
Great shot Graham. Is it a drone or just close to the shore?
- December 5, 2018 at 8:48 pm #378736
Excellent shot Graham. I love how you captured the sunbeams.
- December 2, 2018 at 3:27 am #377957
- December 2, 2018 at 3:57 pm #378018
Glad you reposted this Frog, I thought of it when I posted the challenge, lovely lighting!
- December 2, 2018 at 6:05 pm #378043
That is one “blinged” out tree! Fun shot. I love it.
- December 3, 2018 at 1:51 am #378109
I love the cat just laying there perfectly comfortable there in the 1st shot Froggy…
- December 3, 2018 at 4:39 pm #378237
Sensational! I love these
- December 3, 2018 at 9:14 pm #378342
Love it! A Christmas tree with a sparkly halo. Now if you could market that effect, you'd sell a million!
- December 4, 2018 at 5:06 am #378406
Love the second one. Very psychedelic! Reminds me of my college days! 😉
- December 4, 2018 at 5:51 pm #378563
Thank you all for your kind comments!
- December 4, 2018 at 7:27 pm #378571
Wow! Amazing work, Frog. You did some great light painting.
- December 9, 2018 at 12:49 am #379074
Thank you so much Logos
- December 2, 2018 at 3:34 am #377958
- December 2, 2018 at 4:07 am #377959
Great image Bobbie !The lines, different textures and lightning add up to a perfect unity.
- December 2, 2018 at 11:49 am #377997
There is a great story here Bobbie and it looks like all work. Your students didn't stick their hands into the plaster? 🙂
- December 4, 2018 at 11:59 am #378464
No idea if they even saw it – we weren't together. They're adults and were going through the city in small autonomous groups doing a scavenger hunt to learn about it's history and uniqueness.
- December 2, 2018 at 3:59 pm #378019
Great image Bobbie, simple and well composed!
- December 2, 2018 at 6:07 pm #378045
I love this Bobbie! The balance of light and dark is lovely. I agree with Gray…there is a story.
- December 3, 2018 at 1:52 am #378110
love the lighting and compo in this Bobbie…
- December 3, 2018 at 8:31 am #378156
Great image Bobbie!
- December 3, 2018 at 9:17 pm #378343
A great rendition of light and shade Bobbie. I agree with the others, there is a story here, maybe several. Nice rendering (metaphorically speaking).
- December 4, 2018 at 5:09 am #378408
I love the various textures and how they are emphasized with the lighting. Very nice! Mike
- December 4, 2018 at 12:08 pm #378465
Thanks so much to all of you for your comments. It's always a wonderful feeling to hear from people whose creations often inspire me.
Admins – I wish there was a forum situated between the non-critical challenge forums and the totally critical shark tank – a place where we could get some “friendly suggestions”.
- December 2, 2018 at 11:36 am #377986
- December 2, 2018 at 4:02 pm #378020
Elegant, and lovely gold light, good shots Gray!
- December 3, 2018 at 9:19 pm #378344
Lovely shots Gray. The first one is straight out of the set of ‘Midsummer Murders', a TV show I was watching recently. Lovely golden hues.
- December 4, 2018 at 12:11 pm #378467
We really liked that show Graham but unfortunately we haven't had it for years.
- December 4, 2018 at 12:09 pm #378466
Nice work making the lighting the focus, Gray.
- December 2, 2018 at 4:05 pm #378021
- December 3, 2018 at 2:39 am #378121
Love it !
- December 3, 2018 at 9:20 pm #378345
Makes me think of the battle of light over dark Diane. Light always wins!
- December 4, 2018 at 12:13 pm #378468
Very effective Diane. The lighting on the … (I don't know what it is) makes the scene look ready for a seance.
- December 2, 2018 at 6:14 pm #378046
- December 3, 2018 at 1:54 am #378112
Great compo and mood in the horses through the fence Leanne…
- December 3, 2018 at 2:41 am #378122
Agree with Tom.
- December 3, 2018 at 2:00 am #378115
Christmas tree lights bokeh…
- December 3, 2018 at 3:50 pm #378225
I really like colourful bokeh Tom,cool shot!
- December 3, 2018 at 10:25 am #378172
Seems Frosty may have a bit too much egg nog. 🙂
Horses framed by fence is a really nice image.
Don't know why this showed up under Toms. Hit reply three times on Leanne's post and all three showed my text box under Tom's. Third time I went ahead and submitted my reply.
Nice colorful bokeh Tom. 🙂
- December 3, 2018 at 9:23 pm #378346
Did frosty fall over or are there too many low-hanging cables along the route Leanne? The horses/fence pic is great. Nicely framed and who would have thought barbed wire could hold such an important place in the compo?
(My reply is in the wrong spot too?)
- This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Graham Hart.
- December 4, 2018 at 9:07 am #378437
Both of these are awesome Leanne! Very nice.
- December 4, 2018 at 12:16 pm #378469
Love the image with the horses Leanne. The composition, large sun and the color (pp?) work together to start a story.
- December 5, 2018 at 1:35 am #378664
Thanks for kind comments all of you! Graham and Dave: Frosty is ‘tipsy' as he is ‘made' out of a cement mixer. If you look closely at the right you can see the front of the truck, in red. He parks in front of the local Redi-mix until Christmas. My favourite float in our little parade.
Bobbie – no crazy PP in this one…the fog is responsible for the sun looking larger. The colours were barely tweaked…just enhanced a touch (I am a minimalist in that department typically). It was a pretty awesome morning for interesting light. I always try and get out when there is fog.
Funny thing…I found out after sharing the horses on Twitter, that the horses belong to a friend. They were very friendly and I had nose smears on my lens to prove it. This shot was taken just before they came over for visits!
- December 5, 2018 at 1:46 am #378666
This is “Chimp” just before a lens kiss!
- December 2, 2018 at 8:18 pm #378069
Shot this last summer in available light, hand held. Just had a chance to look at it.
- December 3, 2018 at 9:28 pm #378348
I really really like this bucweeet. Feels like every photon has been used to maximum efficiency with none wasted on unimportant peripheral stuff. The yellow lights against the pale blue window curtains, hovering above the table setting make for a dark mystery thriller story ambience.
- December 3, 2018 at 1:45 am #378108
- December 3, 2018 at 7:11 am #378143
Vishal, your post started out with some great suggestions, but ended with advertising for services. I don't think that this is allowed on this discussion group. Mike
- December 3, 2018 at 7:20 am #378147
Mike, you were right, I’ve spammed it!
- December 3, 2018 at 8:34 am #378158
- December 3, 2018 at 9:35 pm #378350
Nice colourful pics Kent with some similarities. Two big buildings with a taller tower between them. I'm struck by the thought that despite the traffic in the first pic and the lack of traffic in the second, the sky remains the same colour in both parts of the world. Is pollution just a big hoax 🙂 LOL!
- December 4, 2018 at 9:04 am #378434
I always love your comments Graham. I was actually struck by the similarities as well, which is why I posted both of them. Of the two places… China definitely has WAY more air pollution. Although, the locals told me it's getting far better than it was 15 years ago.
- December 3, 2018 at 2:01 pm #378202
On the Porch
- December 3, 2018 at 3:54 pm #378226
- December 3, 2018 at 9:41 pm #378353
The possibilities are endless Diane. Gotta love that lens!
- December 3, 2018 at 9:59 pm #378355
Cool Diane, I keep toying with the Idea of getting one of those lenses.
- December 4, 2018 at 3:50 pm #378517
Thanks Robert, they've brought out another two lens in the range, well worth looking at. I may be getting another one for xmas, so I'll let you know how I get on.
- December 3, 2018 at 8:20 pm #378308
Ann Braun WheatleyParticipant
Car lights and street lamps on Rocks Road, in Nelson, New Zealand
And a question for Rob: Why is it that Tersha's link to a photo on flickr works, while my link to a photo on EyeEm doesn't?
- December 3, 2018 at 9:36 pm #378351
- December 3, 2018 at 10:07 pm #378356
- December 4, 2018 at 10:56 am #378460
Beautiful overall lighting plus the light trail. The photo conveys a mood.
- December 5, 2018 at 11:52 pm #378763
- December 5, 2018 at 3:44 pm #378726
The car lights make this Robert, although the overall light is lovely too!
- December 5, 2018 at 11:54 pm #378765
- December 3, 2018 at 11:15 pm #378370
Where too much is never enough
- December 4, 2018 at 2:34 am #378389
Thersa, thank you for this challenge. So much creativity. o many great pics. Enjoying it!
- December 4, 2018 at 3:43 pm #378516
Glad you're enjoying it Erik, so am I.There are so many different interpretations of the challenge, I love seeing them al! 🙂
- December 4, 2018 at 9:10 pm #378587
How Do You Decorate a Palm Tree?
- December 6, 2018 at 8:48 am #378802
- December 6, 2018 at 9:21 am #378811
That is a wonderful shot!
- December 6, 2018 at 11:41 am #378842
Thank you so much for your kind words
- December 6, 2018 at 6:16 pm #378872
- December 6, 2018 at 8:27 pm #378888
You've captured a moment in time that will last forever. A very special memory. Thumbs up.
- December 6, 2018 at 8:35 pm #378892
Embodies the magic of Christmas and the wonder in a child's eyes.
- December 6, 2018 at 5:51 pm #378868
This is an image from the Amsterdam Light Festival.
Parabolic Lightcloud. I like the form. But the description of the Light Festival / Artists what it means and is supposed to convey give me goose pimples (or in Dutch, kromme tenen).
Galaxy S7 edge:
Click for flicks, bigger is better:
- This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Erik Fransman.
- December 6, 2018 at 6:45 pm #378873
Thats very nice, pleasing symmetry and colours.
- December 8, 2018 at 2:06 am #379018
Thank you Mostahfiz!
- December 6, 2018 at 7:06 pm #378875
Lots of great posts in this thread!
This is part of a light/water display in Puebla, Mexico.
Took a lot of images there with the intent of doing some blending once I’m back to my computer.
- December 6, 2018 at 8:21 pm #378886
Night Skiing at Jackson Hole.
- December 7, 2018 at 12:37 am #378908
Murano glass Christmas tree. Circa 1956.
- December 7, 2018 at 10:00 pm #379015
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.