Wide Angle Lenses & Adapters

Home Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat Wide Angle Lenses & Adapters

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Shelby 5 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Shelby
    Participant

First post wohoo!

After searching the forums I found no answers, so here is my question.

Im looking to expand my creativity a bit and experiment with wide angle lenses. I shoot a t2i (crop 1.6) and was wondering how some of you would approach this?

I'm skeptical about buying a $25 adapter and throwing it on a 18-55. Will the photo quality be compromised?

Im also a broke graduate student who cant afford that lovely glass to really do the trick, so what do you think about these adapters?

Tobie

Which $25 adapter are you referring to?

Shelby
    Participant

Tobie

Interesting. I'm a bit sceptical so I reckon it's a good idea to first chat to someone who has used it before (as you're doing in this thread). I'm curious too…

Shane
    Participant

@zemksd I just bought the polaroid version of this. The polaroid version is:
    http://www.amazon.com/Polaroid-Studio-Series-42X-Fisheye/dp/B00461AID8

I experimented with it yesterday. I used it on both my 18-55 EF-S and my 75-300 EF lenses. I was very pleased. Unfortunately, I was just testing and the photos lack content so I wont post. But, I will. I am also using a T2i and I highly recommend it.

It comes in 3 pieces. It has an adapter which you wont need, and the fisheye/macro are two pieces. It was a great purchase. I've seen it between $29 and $39 on Amazon.

Shelby
    Participant

Hey @shaneh thanks for the info. Can you provide some shots with it? Just so I can get the idea of a x42. 🙂

Shane
    Participant

@zemksd I will be glad to take some shots using each lens with the adaptor tomorrow. I might do some with the macro tonight depending if I can think of anything to shoot.

Ehpem
    Participant

I thought this thread would be about something else, but it raises an idea you might want to explore: adapting old wide angle glass for your camera.

For instance I have a 40 year old Nikkor-N Auto 24mm/f2.8 lens that I use on my Canon 5Dii. It is a great lens though not nearly as wide as you seem interested in. It was relatively cheap, and required a simple modification and adapter to make it work. The mod was to cut off a flange that sticks into the camera and would have damage the mirror. I taped up the rear lens and around the flange to keep stuff out of the camera and protect the glass, then I cut off the flange with tin snips and filed it down with small spark plug file. Lots of care taken to keep filings out of the lens. I bought an adapter with a chip which gives me focus confirm and provides some exif data too (not aperture). I needed to adjust the focus point as per the adapters instructions, then I was ready to use it. And I have used it a lot – one of my favourite lenses.

I am not sure if you can find a really wide and old lens cheaply, but it might be worth looking into, but keep in mind some lenses won't adapt to your camera because the rear element sticks in too close to your sensor (though with the adapters you are speaking of, maybe this would not be a problem).

Shane
    Participant

@zemksd this is a photo with the macro half of that lens that I just took less than 5 minutes ago. I didn't edit at all and i won't say that it's great content. But, I wanted to test it. Tomorrow, I will use the side angle.

_MG_3002
    Canon EOS REBEL T2i
    Polaroid .42 Fisheye/macro
    EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    55.0 mm

Shane
    Participant

@zemksd again, wasn't really looking for content. Its just shots outside my back window into the alley. I was just testing the lens. I decided to go with the 50mm prime lens so there would be no question about zoom. With your 18-55 or any other zoom, if you are zoomed all the way out, you will see the ring. You can either crop that out, or zoom in a little. Either way, you're still getting a wider angle.

This is without the Polaroid .42x fisheye
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/12237709486
    Canon EOS REBEL T2i
    EF50mm f/1.8 II
    50.0 mm
    1/20

And this one is with the Polaroid .42x fisheye. Notice that the telephone pole is slightly warped.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/12237132225/in/photostream/
    Canon EOS REBEL T2i
    EF50mm f/1.8 II
    50.0 mm
    1/30

Tobie

Thanks @shaneh, I'd love to see this on an 18mm (crop) or 24mm (FF)!

Shelby
    Participant

I can see the results, but I thought they would be more prominent. Any chance you show a few more? Maybe showing off some close ups? Im not sold yet. Show me what it can do!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.