- February 13, 2019 at 12:01 pm #390334
The sun was catching these just right yesterday. We had heavy clouds on the way and this is about an hour before.
- February 13, 2019 at 2:42 pm #390340
Beautiful detail John.
- February 13, 2019 at 2:44 pm #390341
Thanks Rob. It was my first time out in quite a while. I have been house bound for over a month or so. Now I want to get out each day. I will be back out tomorrow for sure.
This was taken with my new Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art lens.
- This reply was modified 1 month ago by John Thompson.
- February 13, 2019 at 9:31 pm #390376
Detail and colour are both fantastic. Nice lens you have there John.
It amazes me how these plants seem to thrive, growing out of the dead desert floor and providing such vibrant colour.
- February 14, 2019 at 10:57 am #390512
Thank you Graham. There is water close to the surface around here. You get all of the runoff from the mountains so generally these plants thrive. We have had dry years and the flora suffered for it. You can see the difference from some of my earlier pics of Red Rock a few years ago.
- February 13, 2019 at 11:41 pm #390382
Exquisit photo John! I like the colors; contrast of green needles and red earth with blue sky and flowing clouds.
- February 14, 2019 at 10:58 am #390513
Thanks Bruce. Like I said the sunlight off of these guys just made them jump out. It is like that some days.
- February 14, 2019 at 12:48 am #390392
I love the colours (reddish orange, blue and green) and composition in this image John 🙂
- February 14, 2019 at 11:02 am #390516
Thank you Dahlia. As I have said many times it is easy getting nice pics from this area all you have to do is point your camera and click.
- February 14, 2019 at 11:04 am #390517
I never get tired of these John, There really is quite a bit of life in the desert, you just have to know where to look, and it is a place of stark contrasts.
- February 15, 2019 at 11:49 am #390664
Robert you have been to Lake Mead and have seen the starkness of the desert there. Here in Red Rock it is different but yes there is life in the desert. I may head out to Lake Mead next week for a day. It has been quite a while since I was there.
- February 15, 2019 at 2:48 am #390598
Wow John, that really POPS…
- February 15, 2019 at 11:50 am #390665
Thank you Tom. The light was just right that day.
- February 15, 2019 at 1:50 pm #390673
You have one for the wall John! I can almost feel the desert breeze coming through my screen
- February 15, 2019 at 4:53 pm #390690
Thank you Preston. It has been rainy over the past two days and is now very windy. Tomorrow is looking better to get our or perhaps early Sunday morning. It is quite then.
- February 15, 2019 at 2:16 pm #390676
- February 15, 2019 at 4:55 pm #390691
Thanks Roger. These burros do not look like the ones I have pics of over the years although the black stripe down the side and down the back look like our burros. I do not recall grey though. Great shot.
- February 15, 2019 at 6:27 pm #390697
They were standing not far from the CertainTeed Gypsum plant. Until you mentioned it, I really hadn't noticed the black stripes, but they do really stand out in the photos I took. John, When I first saw your photo, I thought, I've seen this before, but where? I took these photos on September 23, 2007 when it was quite hot and dry. Beautiful place and and so full of life. Your plants and image look a lot healthier than mine. By the way, 2007 might have been a very dry year there, because a fire had burned through many of the plants near a scenic stop. Probably somebody had discarded a cigarette.
- February 15, 2019 at 7:34 pm #390708
Roger if you look at the trunks of the Joshua in your pic they are quite thin. The entire tree is struggling. I had just moved back here in 2007 and I know that for the following years the desert flora was sparse compared to now. What I mean by that is the smaller bushes and shrubs were much farther apart than they are now. The desert is rather lush right now.
- February 15, 2019 at 4:08 pm #390689
Beautiful John, lovely light!
- February 15, 2019 at 4:56 pm #390692
Thank you Diane. The light is the thing isn't it!!!
- February 15, 2019 at 9:04 pm #390711
i think you caught it at just the right time! gorgeous light!
- February 16, 2019 at 10:47 am #390779
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.