Yesterday

This topic contains 22 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  John Thompson 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

John Thompson

The sun was catching these just right yesterday.  We had heavy clouds on the way and this is about an hour before.

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Beautiful detail John.

John Thompson

Thanks Rob.  It was my first time out in quite a while.  I have been house bound for over a month or so.  Now I want to get out each day.  I will be back out tomorrow for sure.

This was taken with my new Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art lens.

Graham Hart
    Participant

Detail and colour are both fantastic. Nice lens you have there John.

It amazes me how these plants seem to thrive, growing out of the dead desert floor and providing such vibrant colour.

John Thompson

Thank you Graham.  There is water close to the surface around here.  You get all of the runoff from the mountains so generally these plants thrive.  We have had dry years and the flora suffered for it.  You can see the difference from some of my earlier pics of Red Rock a few years ago.

Bruce Gordon
    Participant

Exquisit photo John! I like the colors; contrast of green needles and red earth with blue sky and flowing clouds.

John Thompson

Thanks Bruce.  Like I said the sunlight off of these guys just made them jump out.  It is like that some days.

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

I love the colours (reddish orange, blue and green) and composition in this image John 🙂

John Thompson

Thank you Dahlia.  As I have said many times it is easy getting nice pics from this area all you have to do is point your camera and click.

Robert Apple

I never get tired of these John, There really is quite a bit of life in the desert, you just have to know where to look, and it is a place of stark contrasts.

John Thompson

Robert you have been to Lake Mead and have seen the starkness of the desert there.  Here in Red Rock it is different but yes there is life in the desert.  I may head out to Lake Mead next week for a day.  It has been quite a while since I was there.

Tom M
    Participant

Wow John, that really POPS…

John Thompson

Thank you Tom.  The light was just right that day.

Preston
    Participant

You have one for the wall John! I can almost feel the desert breeze coming through my screen

John Thompson

Thank you Preston.  It has been rainy over the past two days and is now very windy.  Tomorrow is looking better to get our or perhaps early Sunday morning.  It is quite then.

Roger Wehage
    Participant

Red Rock? I've been there a couple times. Great photo! It makes me want to go back again.

John Thompson

Thanks Roger.  These burros do not look like the ones I have pics of over the years although the black stripe down the side and down the back look like our burros.  I do not recall grey though.  Great shot.

Roger Wehage
        Participant

They were standing not far from the CertainTeed Gypsum plant. Until you mentioned it, I really hadn't noticed the black stripes, but they do really stand out in the photos I took. John, When I first saw your photo, I thought, I've seen this before, but where? I took these photos on September 23, 2007 when it was quite hot and dry. Beautiful place and and so full of life. Your plants and image look a lot healthier than mine. By the way, 2007 might have been a very dry year there, because a fire had burned through many of the plants near a scenic stop. Probably somebody had discarded a cigarette.

John Thompson

Roger if you look at the trunks of the Joshua in your pic they are quite thin.  The entire tree is struggling.  I had just moved back here in 2007 and I know that for the following years the desert flora was sparse compared to now.  What I mean by that is the smaller bushes and shrubs were much farther apart than they are now.  The desert is rather lush right now.

Tersha
    Keymaster

Beautiful John, lovely light!

John Thompson

Thank you Diane.  The light is the thing isn't it!!!

beth
    Participant

i think you caught it at just the right time!  gorgeous light!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.