Last Updated on by
Many of you have been asking us how to import presets into Lightroom mobile and one of the awesome things about the recent Lightroom update is that you can now do this. You can do this by syncing Lightroom presets into Lightroom mobile using the Lightroom CC Desktop Application.
You need to have a creative cloud subscription in order to be able to sync your presets and this only works if you have Lightroom CC on your desktop. You need to be signed in with your creative cloud account on both your desktop and mobile for this “sync process” to work.
Can Lightroom Presets For Desktop Be Used In Lightroom Mobile?
We get asked all the time if the Lightroom presets for desktop can be used in Lightroom mobile because many of us are now looking to edit images on the go and because of the versatility of Lightroom, and various other brilliant features, most photographers prefer to use Lightroom across all devices.
Moreover, most photographers like to matchup or keep their editing work consistent – be it working on the computer or on the mobile. This is where using your desktop presets on your mobile device comes in handy.
So, the answer is, yes the presets can be used in Lightroom on mobile, but on two conditions.
- You need to have an Adobe Creative Cloud subscription
- You need the latest version of Adobe Lightroom CC on your computer in order to sync them with Lightroom on your mobile devices.
Note: If you only have Adobe Lightroom Classic CC on your computer, you cannot sync the presets with your mobile. You will need to download Adobe Lightroom CC from Creative Cloud and then proceed with the sync process.
At the time of writing this article, the updated current version of Adobe Lightroom CC was Version 1.4
If you are unsure how to check this, click “Adobe Lightroom CC” on the Menu on top and Click “About Lightroom CC.”
How Does It Work?
With Adobe Creative Cloud, you have the option to sync your work, settings and presets between your devices, so any presets that you import into your Desktop version of Adobe Lightroom CC will sync with Lightroom CC on your mobile. That way you can use the presets in your Desktop version of Lightroom CC, on your mobile version of Lightroom CC as well.
With the recent updates to Lightroom, this process has become pretty straightforward.
So Here It Is…How To Import Presets Into Lightroom Mobile?
If you have already imported your presets to your Lightroom CC Desktop Application, then after updating to the latest version of Lightroom on Desktop and Mobile, you just need to open the Lightroom app on the mobile.
You can see that the presets which were imported into Lightroom CC for Desktop will have now synced with Lightroom App for your mobile device. Make sure you have syncing turned on between devices.
If you have not already imported the presets previously, here is how to import presets into Lightroom mobile right from the first step:
I have used our most popular Pop Pack Set of Presets here as an example to show you how they can be imported into Adobe Lightroom CC for desktop and mobile.
Once you have downloaded your presets that are in zip format, you will need to extract (unzip) them.
- If you are on a Mac, just double-clicking on the file should extract the zip file and put the contents into a folder just above it.
- If you are on a Windows PC, to unzip all the contents of the zipped folder, right-click the folder, select Extract All, and then follow the instructions.
Please do not use any third party applications to extract the .zip files.
1. Launch Adobe Lightroom CC on your computer and click on “Presets” on the bottom right.
2. The Lightroom Presets panel will open on the right-hand side.
3. Click on the three dots “ … “ that you see on top of the panel and click “Import Presets”
or click “File —> Import Profiles & Presets”
4. On your computer, browse to the location where you have downloaded and extracted the .zip files and select all the preset folders that you need to import and click “Import.”
5. Now you should have all the presets in different folders in your Lightroom CC Desktop Application.
You can see the presets within those folders when you click on the small white triangle next to preset folder name and can make edits here as well whenever you need to.
The method above worked perfectly fine for me. But if this does not work for you, you will need to use the method below.
1. You will first need to import presets into Lightroom Classic CC. You will need version 7.3 or later.
With the recent updates to Lightroom, the presets are converted to .xmp files and stored in a common location accessible by Camera Raw and Adobe Lightroom Classic CC (Adobe/CameraRaw/Settings). The path to locate the .xmp files are shown below:
- For Windows: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\Settings
- For Mac: Macintosh HD / Users / [username] /Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/Settings
2. Once you have imported the presets into Lightroom Classic CC, the method to import presets into Lightroom CC is almost the same as described above, except that you will be importing presets from the location shown above for Windows and Mac.
3. Launch Lightroom CC on your computer and click on “Presets” on the bottom right. The Lightroom Presets panel will open on the right-hand side. Click on the three dots “ … “ on top of the panel and click “Import Presets” or click “File —> Import Profiles & Presets” (For steps up till here, please refer to screenshots above)
4. On your computer, browse to the location where you have the preset folders with the .xmp files and select all the preset folders that you need to import and click “Import.”
Now you should have all the imported preset folders in your Lightroom CC Desktop Application.
5. Also, make sure that cloud syncing is turned on (top right)
If for some reason you are unable to import preset folders, try importing the individual presets and these presets by default should go into a folder created by default called the “User Presets” folder.
Here's How To Use Lightroom Presets In The Lightroom Mobile App
1. Open up the Lightroom CC App on your Mobile. Here are the links for iPhone, iPad, and Android if you haven't downloaded one yet and make sure you have updated to the latest version if you already have a copy. At the time of writing this article, the updated current version is v.3.3.1
2. You will see that any images and presets you imported in the Lightroom CC Desktop App would have now synced to the Lightroom CC mobile app as well. To indicate that, you can see that the cloud icon has a tick. Choose an image to edit.
3. On the top drop down menu, tap and choose “Edit” if another option was chosen by default.
4. At the bottom of the app screen, you will see the presets icon. You may need to scroll to the right to find this.
5. When you tap on the “Presets” icon, the presets list opens.
Note: When you tap the “Presets” icon for the first time, the default “Color” presets folder that came with the Lightroom Mobile App will pop up with the list of presets in it. Just press the small down arrow next to the word “Color” and you can see the list of imported preset folders. Remember, these are the preset folders that were imported into your Lightroom CC Desktop application and they have successfully synced with your Lightroom Mobile App as well. How easy was that!
6. Tap on a folder to see the presets within that folder.
7. Next time you launch the app, the most recently used presets folder will show up, so tap on the small down arrow next to the preset folder name and choose the folder you wish to use.
It is convenient if you rotate your mobile to landscape orientation and then work on Lightroom CC for mobile. The screenshots below illustrate why!