Light Stalking has grown into a thriving community with close to a million people following us or seeing us online in one form or other, every month. In all of the hullabaloo, it’s easy to miss the core of what’s happening in photography on Light Stalking. So that’s why we decided to sum it up for you. Here’s what you missed recently on Light Stalking.
The Most Popular Stories from the Last 7 Days
• 89 Photography Links That Drip With Awesome– Toad Hollow Photography's weekly list of fabulous links to tutorials, amazing photography and interesting blogs.
• A Quick Guide to Light Metering for Photographers – Cameras are highly accurate at metering light but not always perfect. Learn about the three main modes of light metering in your DSLR, but don't neglect learning to set your exposures manually for perfect exposures every time.
• How to Use a Reflector for Better Outdoor Portraits– Fix harsh lighting in your portraits with an inexpensive portable reflector.
• The Evolution of Film in Photography– A nostalgic walk down memory lane and a brief history of film.
What You Missed in the Light Stalking Community
Submit your photographs for this week’s photography challenge – Better Your Best Shot From the Last Month. Choose your best/favorite shot taken any time from July 13th-August 13th and share it with us. Along with the one you take this weekend that you’ve tried to make even better. Also, check out the fantastic images from last week in Mid-Afternoon.
Other Weekly Photography Challenges:
View this week’s Mobile Monday Challenge.
Submit your photographs for Wild Wednesday Challenge. This week’s challenge is anything that fits the theme “wild”.
We’d love to chat with you! Add your opinions here:
• What Advice Would You Give For the Photo Above You?
• Bathtime for Emily
• Why Don't Americans Smile in Photographs?
What Are Our Members Up To?
We have some amazing members here at Light Stalking that runs the gamut from career professional photographers through to beginner enthusiast. Here’s what a few of them are up to in photography.
Great Shots Uploaded to the Light Stalking Community
Photo by Lisa Hill. She can be found on Flickr and Picasa
If you’re not already part of the Light Stalking community then come and join the fun. We promise not to bite!
Rachael Towne is a photographer and the creator of photoluminary.com.
What We Recommend to Improve Your Photography Fast
It's possible to get some pretty large improvements in your photography skills very fast be learning some fundamentals. Consider this the 80:20 rule of photography where 80% of the improvements will come from 20% of the learnable skills. Those fundamentals include camera craft, composition, understanding light and mastering post-production. Here are the premium guides we recommend.