Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Dan Frizzell
      Participant
        • Allows Edits: No
        @danfrizzell

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

I don’t have one photo to look back on as the catalyst. There were many. Bought my first SLR — a Minolta SRT101 — in 1968 or ’69, probably. Maybe 1970. I was a college student, studying journalism. Eugene Smith, Walker Evans, these were inspirations, as were people more on the art end of the spectrum: Minor White, Edward Weston . . . and youth culture photographers, most especially Annie Leibowitz.

I don’t know why it felt so important to see life through a viewfinder. It just did. But while that was my passion, writing was apparently my only marketable talent, and I’ve made a living that way. I eventually sold my darkroom and didn’t touch a camera for anything but snapshots for 25 or more years.

A couple of years ago the bug bit again. I shot for a while with a phone, but today I’ve got a good little digital camera that I’m never without, and I’m once again obsessed with seeing the world in rectangles. Street photography, documentary, quasi-journalistic projects; these appeal to me greatly, just as they did earlier in my life. I sporadically add shots to my web page (danpaulfrizzell.smugmug.com). Some, I know, are quality photos; they worked for me, though none is perfect. Others are clearly subpar, but I put them up for a while to study them and figure out what I think is wrong with them. Then I delete them and start fresh. There you go.

Tobie
          • Allows Edits: Yes
          @tobiepsg
          • Contender Icon
          • Throwdowner Icon
          Allows Edits? Yes

Welcome @danfrizzell. Funny how one keeps on looking differently at old shots as you progress through your photography journey. I have an electronoc album next to my TV and I cringe when I’m looking at my pre-DSLR pics, mainly because of composition and tilted horizons. Most of them had the subject smack bang in the middle and it makes even a beautiful scene appear ‘common’. I never knew why great scenes never ‘popped’ and now I know. But that’s the way we learn…

Now show us some of your shots!

Dan Frizzell
          Participant
            • Allows Edits: No
            @danfrizzell

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

Thanks, @tobiepsg. I had trouble signing in to reply to your message; finally discovered I was entering my username incorrectly. As for showing my photos, I haven’t figured out that process yet. I assume it’s a simple one, but I haven’t looked into it. I will. In the meantime, as I noted in my intro, I do have a Smugmug account where I’ve uploaded quite a few photos.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author