THROWDOWN: Things that will never be seen again

Latest Posts Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat Photography Throwdowns THROWDOWN: Things that will never be seen again

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Michael Lloyd
      Participant
        • Allows Edits: No
        @michael-lloyd

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

Space Shuttle Columbia. Sometime in the 80’s. I pulled my kids out of school to see the shuttle land at Barksdale AFB. These are bad scans of slides or scans of bad slides :o)

Not much holding it to it’s momma

Tile problems even back then

Michael Lloyd
        Participant
          @michael-lloyd

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

These are actually stills pulled from a homemade video made in the 80’s. It’s nice to have connections :o)

Technically you can still see the SR-71 Blackbird in static displays but they are hollowed out shells. This one flew. Good lord that thing was fast. The time from burner to gone was ridiculous… I wish I would’ve had the gear then that I have today.. maybe not come to think of it…

Ryan Silverstein
          Participant
            • Allows Edits:
            @rsman2012

No Achievements Yet!

The shuttle and blackbird pictures are great, imagine the Zapruder film and JFK, it’s part of history. The day Challenger exploded was a dark day for NASA and the world, the Shuttle Discovery, and the Apollo disaster as well. As a youngster in school I remember that the reuseable rocket booster system, and the reuseable re-entry vehicle type plane where the future. The Shuttle was the answer. I remember going to the Spokane Worlds Fair, I found two publications that I could purchase there. One was an indepth manual about Skylab, the other was an advertizing brochure for the future Shuttle Program, and this was in the 70’s. The Shuttle was the vehicle of the future. It would give us the ability to build the space station. The space station would be a platform to launch future Moon, Mars, planetary, exploration, and colinization missions. I find it incredible that both the programs are over and a part of the past.

It is amazing to me that there is an effort to select a group of people to go to and colonize Mars. By the way the Mars Mission is a one way trip…..Is it really that hard to find a mate here on Earth?

I heard that President Bush, # 41, the older, flew in a Blackbird once, he had to make a meeting……… 🙂

The Falx
            Participant
              @falx

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

Epic stuff…………..as a kid grew up,like American kids,with the Apollo missions…what with the cold war and moon landings was a pretty exciting time

The shuttles were amazing…real shame that the money and political will seems lacking at present

As for the Blackbird…consider yourself lucky that your not doing between 2 and 20…….she is beautiful

Michael Lloyd
              Participant
                @michael-lloyd

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

You should see the big print that I have of the Blackbird just as it pulled away from a tanker. I used to know a KC135 tanker maintenance group Staff Sgt. at Barksdale AFB. He was always giving me stuff… but he couldn’t wrangle a ride in a “buff’ or a “tanker” for me. Slacker :o)

Lisa Hill
                Participant
                  @lisahill

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

Not as epic as the above but it won’t be seen again

11:11:11 11:11

Karen
                  Participant
                    @karamen

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

Gripping images, @michael-lloyd. I remember it well.

This is the last image I took of our beloved rental cottage of 20 years. A couple of months after I took this, (this past July) the owners moved the 100 year old Cape Cod cottage back about 50 steps away from the shoreline to save it from the ravaging tide on the Bay. I will miss sitting on the porch basking in the light of the sunset.
                    Sunset Cottage
                    And this is the view from outside the cottage door. Never to be taken again from this particular perspective.
                    Light Show On Cape Cod Bay

Tersha
                    Keymaster
                      • https://www.flickr.com/photos/diane_rose/
                      • Allows Edits: Yes
                      @tersha
                      • Photo of the Week Winner Icon
                      • Mobile Maestro Icon
                      • Contender Icon
                      • Member’s Pick Icon
                      • Throwdowner Icon
                      Allows Edits? Yes

I can see why you would miss that cottage, @karamen, it must’ve been a beautiful place to live….

Michael Lloyd
                      Participant
                        @michael-lloyd

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

Ha! Love the clock image!

Gorgeous cabin! Now you can make new memories :o)

I’ll be in Maine in July. It’ll be my first time in Maine. I’ve got a 4 day printing class and the rest of the two weeks that I’m there is all mine :o) I’m staying at a guest house in Friendship, ME and “being educated” (I hope) in Cushing, ME. The only thing that I’m not looking forward to is the extra long drive up and back but a the same time I might get some decent photo ops.

Karen
                        Participant
                          @karamen

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

Thankfully, we will be renting the same cottage again this summer, so we will get to enjoy the same beach, @tersha. Just won’t be able to view it from the porch. Sounds like a fun time, @michael-lloyd, as long as you can take your time with the drive.

Michael Lloyd
                          Participant
                            @michael-lloyd

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

I’ll probably try to make the drive “to” Maine in 2 days, maybe 3, and do the return on 3 or 4. It’s 2,100 miles one way if I take the shortest route so 2 days is pushing it pretty hard.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author