A Bloomin' Sunflower in B&W.

Home Photography Forums The Shark Tank A Bloomin' Sunflower in B&W.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Dave Watkins 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Dave Watkins
    Participant

Inspired by the “Monotone/Duotone” challenge this week, I reworked this shot into something pretty far from the original. Now my reasons for the EXIF. ๐Ÿ™‚ A bit windy so needed fast enough shutter speed to stop the movement of the sunflower. Flower head was wide enough to need at least f/8 to get the DOF I wanted. Not a sunny day. Any thoughts?

Pentax K-50 w/ DA* 300 mm lens.ย  f/8, 1/1600, 1600 ISO.

• This topic was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Dave Watkins.
    • This topic was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Dave Watkins.

billyspad
    Participant

Really like this very different approach to a sunflower shot. To my eyes its a little flat and I felt although the bokeh is very nice its interfering with my enjoyment of your main subject. The bottom leaf on the left was justย  distraction and in a perfect world the complete leaf on the right would be good but its not a deal breaker. So just a quick and dirty idea of what I mean – tried to not take it too far from your original vision.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  billyspad.

beth
    Participant

it could be my monitor since i'm at work, but it looks like it needs some white tones to really make it pop.

JasenkaG
    Keymaster

Hi Dave, that's a wonderful shot! For some reason it's hard for me to choose if I like the original version or Billyspad's edit more.

Perhaps the hybrid between these two would look the best to me – I like the contrast in the edited version but I would keep the bokeh from the original one.

Erik Fransman
    Participant

I agree with Jasenka. The bokeh gives a nice depth. The cleaner BG from billy makes it a bit too sterile. Getting rid of the left bottom leaf is better.

Kent DuFault
    Participant

I think it's a really nice image Dave. I prefer your version with a little bit of tone in the background versus billyspad version. There is nothing wrong with his version. It just turns it into a different picture. Your's is in the field. His is a studio shot. Good placement of focus and DOF.

Dave Watkins
    Participant

Thank you all for your replies. I definitely like billyspad's version better without the leaf on the lower left. Also his increase of contrast helps as well. I was so concerned about eliminating the washed out highlights I did not realize it had gotten a bit flat. One of those cases where you look at the image so long in post you quit seeing it. There are times it's good to walk away and come back later to see it with fresh eyes.

I'm also on the fence about the background bokeh. I like it with AND without. ๐Ÿ™‚ One big problem I have is that I'm a recently retired dirt farmer who is technologically challenged. Although my post production skills are improving they remain sadly lacking. ๐Ÿ™ย  Thanks again for the feedback.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.