A Short Story

This topic contains 25 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  chris pook 22 hours, 10 minutes ago.

• Author

chris pook
    Participant

On 3rd August 2014 Daesh attacked the mainly Yazidi town of Sinjar and neighbouring villages.  50,000 Yazid fled to Sinjar Mountain.  Kurdish forces, the YPG and PKK, opened a corridor enabling the Yazidi to flee.  The Yazidi are still living in refugee camps, or taking shelter wherever they can find it.

Three families are squatting on the first floor of an uncompleted block of apartments outside Dohuk;

resized-1587

The Matriarch of the family married at 13.  Her husband died when she was 19, by which time she had 4 boys.  They were taken prisoner by Daesh, but she was released after 6 months, put on a bus and sent back to the Kurdish region, too old to be of any use or interest.  Her eyes are fading, and her legs weak.  She is strong.

resized-1574

She still hopes to hear from her sons, but has not done so.  It is unlikely they are alive.  She lives with her surviving daughters in law, grandchildren, and great grandchildren.

resized-1580

The families remain scattered.  As Daesh lost ground hope faded that missing relatives would be returned alive, but some are still being brought back, traded by people smugglers through WhatsApp.  This family is almost complete, the last child returned this month.  There are sightings of a son, from other returnees, but no direct contact has been had for years.  Daesh indoctrination runs deep.  Returnees, and their families, often have difficulty in adjusting.

resized-1525

For all that, love and life continues.  Where there is life, there is hope.

resized-1515

For office safe photographs;   https://vimeo.com/332940804

• This topic was modified 4 weeks ago by  chris pook.
    • This topic was modified 4 weeks ago by  chris pook.

Tersha
    Keymaster

A good read Chris, unsettling, but good, and good images too. Love the shot of the Matriarch, she's looking straight at the camera.

John Thompson

Yes, very good indeed Chris.  Thanks for sharing.

Robert Apple

Thanks for that Chris.

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Chris thank you for your story in pictures.

chris pook
    Participant

Thanks everybody.  Here I am in Dubai, washing away the experience in Peroni.  Probably not recommended by Doctors.

I’d host any of you in Northern Iraq.  It’s fairly safe and very photogenic.

Erik, I’d particularly like to host you there.  They have stories to be told, and although we have not met in person I think I can tell you have the empathy to make the most of the experience.

Amsterdam to Istanbul, Istanbul to Erbil, you’d be here in a day.

Erik Fransman
      Participant

Thanks for the invitation to host us and me.
      Very tempting. As a photo but even more human experience.
      It is good for us all to get away from the comfort zone of our lives where we have no real problems whatsoever.
      I would love to go there, although I do not see myself going there in the near future.
      Since I am a snapper (oh boy, I promised myself I would never use that word) the trip would be considered a holiday. This I can't afford. (mostly can't afford in time)
      I wish I had a professional reason to visit.

billyspad
    Blocked

Enjoyable series Chris.

Erik the snapper! Welcome to the club for people who are honest and tell it like it is!

chris pook
      Participant

Thanks Billy, it was fun to shoot, mainly.  They are quite camera shy, and particularly adverse to being seen to smile.  Not shown here, but I got them all (except the old lady) smiling in the end.

chris pook
    Participant

We host a lot of media in my day job.  All the usual suspects.  My main client in Northern Iraq are the UN, who are reliant on donor funding for the de-mining / CIED / Explosive Remnants of War programme we are executing.  Keeping their work in the public eye is important to them.

I’ve got a guy up there at the moment, Cengiz Yar, spending some time with us.  His work is strong.

We also bring in a corporate photographer for a few days every couple of years.

I have close links with our media team in London.  I know where to come if they want a corporate movie…

beth
    Participant

beautiful and compelling photos.  hopefully life gets better for these families.

chris pook
    Participant

Thanks Beth.

JasenkaG
    Keymaster

My favorite is the portrait of the Matriarch of the family! Such a stunning image, great job.

chris pook
    Participant

Thanks J.  🙂  The Yazidi have been well looked after by the Kurds.  To be Kurdish is to have been a refugee… they have a lot of empathy.

One of my Finance Ladies is from Kosovo.  She was a refugee at one time.  The things you learn about your staff…

Anne Hornsby
    Participant

So worthwhile to hear this story and see your images of this family, Chris.   Especially the matriarch.   I had wondered what had happened since 2014.    Thank you for an update from the experience of a family.

Falxy
    Participant

what i love chris is the different attitude out there to the lense……more natural/real.

chris pook
      Participant

Thanks Falxy.  Just like horses, they spook easy.  You have to introduce it slowly and let them get used to the idea.  Then throw away anything you took in the first half.

P71
    Participant

Good read , your photos are A+.

Thanks for sharing your works.

Falxy
    Participant

throwaway the first half…………..just the same back here but without the language prob

chris pook
      Participant

Umm, I'm a bit lost on that one, but no matter.

chris pook
      Participant

Ah, gotcha now, sorry for the misunderstanding on my part!

Sarthak Choudhary
    Participant

While we are sitting under our rooves, sunken in our own worldly affairs, we don't even realise what is going on in the rest of the world. There is always a story which has this potential of making your problems feel trivial.

Thank you for bringing this story here.

chris pook
      Participant

Thanks Sarthak.  Your words take me to Primo Levi, again.  ‘You who live safe In your warm houses…'

Luis M.
    Participant

You are a great photographer.  Again I ask, why can't we all get along?  Man's ego is the culprit.

bucweeet
    Participant

I'm in the middle of watching “Black Crows” on netflix.  It's probably the ugliest, most horrifying and scariest show I've ever watched.  Watching this, I can only imagine what these people have gone through, and are still going through.

Great read Chris!.. and I can only imagine what you witness on an almost daily basis.  Much worse than most of us can truly relate to or imagine.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.