Chainsaw Competition

Home Photography Forums The Shark Tank Chainsaw Competition

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Roger Wehage 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Mistyisle
    Participant

Taken at the local Kumeu Show, a short distance from Auckland, NZ. The guy shown at the front was the winner here and also the overall winner.

Settings were f4.0; 1/4000 sec; 70 mms; ISO360

Maureen Photograph
    Participant

Great action shot with the flying woodchips, and the line of his muscular arm!  Gee you guys really know how to have fun, I've never been to a chainsaw competition.

I would maybe up the contrast a little bit.  Also I'm a bit disturbed by the aspect ratio which is 10 x 8.6.  You might consider a different crop to get it to 10×8, or to square as I've done below.  I do miss the second fellow in the square, though.

Tom M
    Participant

I think the crop was right the first photo. You lose the idea that it is a competition by eliminating the 2nd guy…

billyspad
    Blocked

Much prefer the original crop and would lose the over heavy vignette if the point of the shot is to show it was a competition. Overall a great action shot very nicely processed.

Mistyisle
    Participant

Thanks guys, yes, I do want the competition aspect to be part of the story.  You are right about the vignette, billy.  Here I have (easily) adjusted to get this result – much subtler don't you think?  Now I start to be concerned about the bright, almost circular piece on his trouser leg – I must dull that down a tad.

bucweeet
    Participant

I like the adjustments you made Jim.  I'm only posting this version in the event you think of using it with an advertising angle…

Roger Wehage
    Participant

WoW! I own two Stihl chain saws, and mine would have made a 2cm dent in that log about the time that hotrod finished. I'm not sure who'd use a saw like that to cut some firewood. Great show!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.