Dorette & Topaz

Home Photography Forums The Shark Tank Dorette & Topaz

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Tobie 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Author

Tobie

Sometimes with studio shoots I feel that I'm falling into a rut due to a lack of variety. I then resort to Topaz Remask to add that ‘something different'. I have found that mostly people either like or dislike it with no grey area in between.

It sometimes comes to the rescue as well where I need to hide a minor flaw. This is not one of those cases.

Does it work for you?

CTS_2467-Dorette

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by  Tobie.

Albirder
    Participant

Tobie, would you post this without the Topaz, so we can compare?  The portrait is beautiful, the only issue that I have is that Topaz seems to age her face. The irony is that it might “unage” an older face, but that is just speculation on my part.

Tobie

Sure – just keep in mind that Topaz Texture Effects is not intended to manipulate the apparent age of a model – it simply adds effects to an image. Those effects might coincidentally overlap with a face with various results. Making it ‘younger' is not one of them!  🙂

I just want to add that I love the image below as much as the one above. I just added effects to produce something ‘different'.

Dorette topaz

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Tobie,   I like the differentness of the Topaz one.  I like and use Topaz too.

Tobie

Agreed – thanks Lenny!

Albirder
    Participant

Seeing them both, I definitely prefer the Topaz image. Maybe my eyes were cloudy this morning!

Tobie

LOL! I feel that both are keepers but for different reasons! 🙂

Frogdaily
    Participant

Tobie, I like the texture that topaz adds to this image;  However, I do not like it bleeding onto her right arm and hand – I would remove it from these areas.  Also under her right eye there is a spot that appears more reddish – I would suggest removing the red tones to blend the coloring better under her eye.

Tobie

Thanks for commenting Frog's! My goal here was to move and keep focus to her face so I did not really care what Topaz did to the rest of her body. Yes, you can adjust the size of the border but then it is adjusted all around.

I think it might be a calibration issue on either your or my side but I can not see the red area you're referring to. It's thus impossible for me to adjust. Thanks for your thoughts! 🙂

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Is there anyway you could keep the warmth of the original in a topaz version? Not sure I care for the bluish tint when it comes to her skin.

I know you didn’t ask about it but that bracelet is a huge eye snag for me. Keep in mind I’m an amateur when it comes to portraits.

Tobie

You can probably keep the original warmth by lowering the opacity of the texture effect but then it's going to be lowered all over.

This is the only shot we've used the bracelet on so it was done on purpose – almost with spiteful intent! 😉

Graham Hart
    Participant

Just discovering Topaz myself lately and I like the new way of looking at image-making it is providing. I like it Tobie. Still got the same issue with this model as last time I saw her though, the braces are a distraction.

Tobie

Thanks Graham! Yea shame, the braces are part of her and until they are removed that's how I will keep on snapping her. Hopefully the time we put in together now will lead to lots of shoots later on where she gives us the most beautiful smile with perfectly aligned teeth!

She brought a friend with for the shoot. This girl also has braces and I have a few shots of them laughing aloud which would make your tummy turn, LOL! 🙂

Erik Fransman
    Participant

I really like it Tobie but for me black and white works even better:

Tobie

Agreed Erik! To be honest all her shots work quite well in B&W due to her facial features. I might post one or two separately as that is beyond the Topaz topic. 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.