‘F’ IS FOR FOCUS

Home Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat ‘F’ IS FOR FOCUS

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Amber 7 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

tom dinning
    Blocked

The prime function of the lens is to focus the light onto the sensor.

20110807_3771

Seems simple enough. Set the camera on auto focus and let the camera do it all. Set the camera on manual and you can have some control over what is ‘in focus' and what is not.

20110804_3461

Unfortunately, for any lens, there is only ever one plane that will be sharp. Things will get progressively fuzzier as we venture either side of this plane.

20110807_3938

We can control how much fuzziness and how quickly it happens by altering the aperture (see ‘A' is for aperture). Because our camera, printers, screen and even our own eye can't distinguish absolute focus all that well (yet) some of the bits that are only very slightly out of focus can appear nice and sharp, especially if you stand back a bit.

_DSC0923

We call this distance over which objects will appear relatively sharp the ‘depth of field' (DoF). The DoF depends on 3 things: the aperture, the focal length of the lens and the distance from the subject. You can alter any of these things and see the effect it has.

20110711_0134

In addition to the optical aspects of fucussing, we also have an aethetic and perceptive side to consider.
    The idea that we might need to focus someone's attention when they are viewing the photograph is often considered by photographers when composing and processing.

Untitled_Panorama1

There are many ways this can be done including the use of colour, tone, geometric compositional elements such as lines and shapes. Dodging and burning is also a useful tool in the focussing of someones attention.

_DSC4898_1

_DSC0805

I'm sure you have heard the expression ‘Lovely depth of field' or ‘that image is really sharp'.
    Every photograph displays a DoF. Its how it is used that counts.
    And ‘sharp' isn't everything, nor is it what it is cracked up to be.
    The ability to focus is important in any image. That doesn't mean that everything has to be in absolute focus. Once you take control, you'll be amazed at how creative you can be.

_DSC0024

_DSC9927-2

Lisa Hill
    Participant

This was a test of focus. I took a shot with the white petal in sharp focus and the stamen blurred, then tried with a slightly smaller aperture and got the whole flower in focus but in the end I thought that just the stamen in sharp focus was much more interesting

Lisa Hill
    Participant

This was a test of focus. I took a shot with the white petal in sharp focus and the stamen blurred, then tried with a slightly smaller aperture and got the whole flower in focus but in the end I thought that just the stamen in sharp focus was much more interesting

Dru Stefan Stone
    Participant

Great post Tom @tomdinning! So important in creating the sense of what you want to convey in a photograph!
    IMG_2256 copy

Dru Stefan Stone
    Participant

Great post Tom @tomdinning! So important in creating the sense of what you want to convey in a photograph!
    IMG_2256 copy

gone
    Participant

Sometimes ‘de'focusing helps me find the right focus
    ~

gone
    Participant

Sometimes ‘de'focusing helps me find the right focus
    ~

Pinky
    Participant

Practicing what you teach Tom (@tomdinning)

DSC04684_b

Pinky
    Participant

Practicing what you teach Tom (@tomdinning)

DSC04684_b

tom dinning
    Blocked

Love it @colors98
    Made me giggle.
    In addition, the blur in the background adds nicely to the mood. I feel like going and having a nap just looking at it.
    Be very pleased with this one!

tom dinning
    Blocked

Love it @colors98
    Made me giggle.
    In addition, the blur in the background adds nicely to the mood. I feel like going and having a nap just looking at it.
    Be very pleased with this one!

Amber
    Participant

Some lovely shots in here!
    Focus and DOF is one of my favorite things to experiment with.

Strelitzia

Amber
    Participant

Some lovely shots in here!
    Focus and DOF is one of my favorite things to experiment with.

Strelitzia

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.