Learning Composition and Bordering

Home Photography Forums The Shark Tank Learning Composition and Bordering

This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Gary Zerbst 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

• Author

Luis M.
    Participant

Haven't had time to take out my new camera but I found this cell phone photo and would like some critique on composition and bordering.  Thanks, Luis

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

@rivcuban Hi Luis, I like this image. The sky details are perfect. Looks like you had a quiet time to shoot when the beach was not crowded 🙂

In terms of critiques, you will need to straighten the horizon and slightly crop off the right side where a small bit of rock is showing.

With regards to the foreground rocks (bottom left) maybe crop them off or include the whole of the rocks in the frame. Not sure what you think about it.

Did you add a filter to this image? Asking as the image has a slightly greenish tint.

Luis M.
    Participant

Hi Dahlia,  Thanks for taking the time to critique.  I wish I would of had my real camera when I was there.  This is Goleta beach which is just north of Santa Barbara, California.  It was late in the day so there were nice shadows.  I agree that some of the right should be cropped.  The weird tint is from using a cheap camera phone.  Feel free to crop or do anything that you feel will enhance this picture.  Thanks again!

3pco
    Participant

WB correct

Straighten horizon. Crop to put horizon on lower third, small peak and arch of bay on vertical thirds

Brighten hill and beach, add contrast to sky

Luis M.
    Participant

I need to pay attention to the horizon more.  Thanks 3pco.

Dorothy
    Participant

Hi Luis: i really like this and agree the horizon needs straightening. i cropped with content aware and healed out the little rock on the rh side. the rocks bottom lh front i left as it felt they led my eye down the water's edge. darkened a little more to bring out the shadows and enhanced the mountains out past the end of the beach and dodged a couple of small spots on the water to brighten them. just another way of looking at things. 🙂 composition and bordering LuisM edit-dms

Luis M.
    Participant

Very nice!  Thanks Dorothy.  I am still kicking myself for not having my real camera with me.  What program did you use?  I have Photoshop CS ( which is free now) and GIMP.  Is there anyway to make an image that was taken with a cell phone camera more professional looking?  The original is a TIF but since it was taken with a cellphone the resolution is OK but not great.  Thanks again.

Dorothy
      Participant

Hi Luis:  i use the Photoshop CC 2019 in the online Adobe Cloud Photographers Plan.  i don't do a lot with my cell phone so don't really know how to answer that question.  i just approach each photo from the point of view of enhancing it to bring out it's beauty.

Luis M.
    Participant

Just looked closer and you did an exceptional job Dorothy.  Is there any way I could email you the original so you could do the same.  I would be happy to pay you.

Tom M
    Participant

I like what 3pco did to the hills-they were definitely too dark.Good job…

Luis M.
    Participant

Absolutely.  3pco made it MUCH better.

Frank
    Participant

It is a nice scene and you saw the beauty before you, but I see interesting things, walls  other structures, rocks,  yet I cannot really see them.  What is the main subject?  I see a nice beach and an okay sky, but what is there that really draws me in?   You were standing at a beautiful spot, but show us more.  Get closer to something really interesting. Maybe some of those rocks have neat shapes and textures or maybe something in those walls.  This is a shot that sets the scene, but next look for something there that will really grab our interest.  So, take this shot, but then study it and find scenes within the larger image that will get us more interested in staying  longer.

I like what Dorothy has done to the sky, but I miss seeing the detail of the cliffs.

Nnam Ari
    Participant

I think it looks good overall, the quiet ambienece pours through.

Luis M.
    Participant

Thanks Nnam!

Gary Zerbst
    Participant

Luis asked ” What program did you use?  I have Photoshop CS ( which is free now) and GIMP”

Just this morning I watched a tutorial on i-phone photography (Amazon Prime Alexa)  In the video , the trainer used a very full featured post processing app called lightroom on her i-phone ,  She stated that it was a free download on the app store.  Frankly  I'm doubtful , given adobe's profits motive, that it is still free but it's worth taking a look.

BTW  thee instructor's photos she used as examples in the tutorial were simply amazing.  It's hard to wrap my hidebound mind around the idea that such beauty could come from a i-Phone

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.