Lily Pond

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Graham Hart 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Graham Hart
    Participant

Finally got some time to go take some snaps. This is part of a huge indoor lily pond in the Adelaide Botanic Gardens.

Kent DuFault
    Participant

I like it. Nice use of Minimalism.

Robert Apple

Love the dark Background on against the leaves.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Thanks Robert. Had to darken the BG because there were too many ugly obstacles visible on and under the water like hoses but mainly reflections of the roof structure everywhere. Very distracting.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Graham Hart.

John Thompson

Perfect background to juxtapose colors Graham.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Thanks John. As I mentioned to Robert, what was initially a desire to get rid of distractions turned out to be a boost to the juxtaposed minimalism of the pic.

Tom M
    Participant

I like this mucho, Graham, just for the simplicity…

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Hi Graham, I like it too. I probably would never make an image like this myself. I probably would just miss it if I saw it.

I know it's not the ST but I think it might work even a bit more minimal if you work some more on the dark BG. There are quite some smudges in the water.
    Something like this:

Graham Hart
      Participant

Thanks for spotting this Erik. Much better. To be honest, I didn't really spot this image myself until I got home and noticed how distracting the reflections in the water were. It was only then I decided to darken the reflections out and subsequently discovered a rather pleasing minimalist picture. If nothing else, it says something about realsitic vs creative photography I think. Both have their place. Here's the original;

Anne Hornsby
    Participant

I really like lily pad images.  This composition is great, Graham, with the different sizes and angles of the pads.   I like the almost black water against the pads.   I did try pp on this trying to get where Erik got.  I like the lush green and really dark water of Erik's pp.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Thanks Anne. Seems to be my modus operandi…trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, ‘cos most of my shots are sow's ears!  🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.