Macro 100 vs 180mm

Home Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat Macro 100 vs 180mm

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Rob Wood (Admin) 2 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Jeff Horton
    Participant

Another Macro has been on my list for some time. Close to making the purchase and looking at the options. I had a 100mm when I shot film years ago and I remember sometimes wishing for a longer lens. I had a 80-210 zoom that would close focus not not true macro but I used it a lot of the time.

Just torn between the two but I am leaning toward the 180mm(+/-) range. I have used a set of extension tubes on a zoom and the extra distance is really nice. Anyone have one and regret it? BTW I don't do portraits, so that is not an issue.

Kent DuFault
    Participant

If macro work is a primary part of your photography, I would go with a prime lens versus something with extension tubes. I make this statement because of the light loss with extension tubes and the superior focus of a prime lens. I couldn't really tell, from your statement, if you were talking about a prime 180mm macro focusing lens. If that were the case, then I think it is simply preference. I've never used a lens like that. The 100mm macro is an awesome lens and quite versatile.

Tobie

I'd go for the 100mm as it can double up better as a portrait lens.

Tersha
    Keymaster

I use a 100mm Macro, and I can't fault it, it's a really good lens.

I love my 60mm macro for both macro and portrait. 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.