More metallic leaves

Home Photography Forums The Shark Tank More metallic leaves

This topic contains 23 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Lynne Guenther 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

Lynne Guenther
    Participant

What's the subject for you?

Taken with cell phone

Dorothy
    Participant

Hi Lynne – nice cell phone shot.  i feel this is a trick question 🙂  the light draws me to the left of the photo and makes the flowers  there the subject but my eyes want the flowers in the green leaves to be the subject. they sit a little too far to the right and need a little more light on them, but even so they grab my attention. i find more interest in the larger clump of flowers.  so, maybe this is actually a trick answer?

Lynne Guenther
    Participant

I'm just wanting to see if and what people identify as the subject, no trick 🙂

Dorothy
      Participant

🙂  actually more of a tricky question for me, not so much a trick question. sorry, didn't mean to mislead, i tend to get a little wordy and can end up not being very clear with my answer.

JasenkaG
    Keymaster

@ebby-2 Hi Lynne, for my eyes, the subject of this photo is the interplay of green and red tones.

Albirder
    Participant

I am struggling to find a subject. Probably it is what I internalize as odd lighting.

Lynne Guenther
      Participant

Is odd lighting a strong enough subject? Does this subject deserve documentation?

Albirder
        Participant

It is not strong enough for me. If it were odd natural lighting, which this one might be, but I can’t tell from context, then I might have a different take on it.

Dave Watkins
    Participant

In my opinion “lighting” is not a subject.

I think the question to ask is ..….Do YOU like it? Would YOU matte it, frame it and hang it in your living room? Photograph what you like. Some others will like it too. And some will not.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by  Dave Watkins.

Albirder
      Participant

I disagree about light being a subject: Photographer Alexander Harding has a beautiful project titled “Visible Light” in which he turns light itself into the subject of photographs. (From an article in Petapixel)

Your point is well taken, though. It always gets down to personal preferences on the part of the photographer. Not that we are necessarily good judges of our work. As was recently pointed out on LS, we can add a layer of emotion that we felt at the time of taking the picture that can obscure the merits of the photograph for us, but not for our viewing audience who does not experience that emotion. Also, the more we look at a photograph, the more we tend to like it.

Dave Watkins
        Participant

Photography, like any art form is subjective.

Also there have been plenty of times that the more I look at a photo I took the more things I see that I wished I'd done differently. Angle of view, settings, lighting etc. In other words the more I look at it the more I DON'T like it. 🙂

Lynne Guenther
          Participant

I hate everything I haven't taken in the past few days, always, lol

Lynne Guenther
      Participant

I definitely disagree, all great photos share subject… An object and it's lighting. If I have to pick only one, I'll choose light Everytime

This is natural lighting.

I like the image and I would hang, but to say all that matters is my opinion is to say ST shouldn't exist

billyspad
        Blocked

Lynne I did not comment on your leaves quite simply because I found it very ordinary and verging on the twee. The influence seems to come from your friend who paints the leaves of house plants? As his web site shows it looks very quickly like the work of a one trick pony and your software enhanced leaves look to be taking the same route. The ST exists so that an opinion such as mine can be expressed without the viewer being accused of making a derogatory remark.

Whatever I think or anyone else here cannot be allowed to burst the bubble of confidence a creator should have in their own work. If the bubble bursts you had serious doubts or your too sensitive to be showing work and asking what others feel about it. If you like it hang it, its your wall and your space and your the one looking at it daily. Publish and be damned as the man said!

Lynne Guenther
          Participant

Billy, I sale my work

billyspad
            Blocked

I am very glad for you and sincerely hope you become extremely rich and famous from your sales. The life of the poverty stricken artiste always seems a dumb route to go down if ya ask me.

My earlier reply was merely to try and explain why the ST exists and what it can offer to those brave enough to take part.

Dave Watkins
        Participant

Sure there are images where one can say the lighting itself is the subject. But I think those instances are not very common. In the image you posted I would say the subject is plants. I just don't see the light as the subject. Remove the plants and shoot it again.

I look at a landscape shot where mountains are bathed in the beautiful glow of morning light. To me the landscape, the mountains in particular is the subject. Not the light. I look at a well lit studio portrait. I see the person as the subject. Not the light. The intense yellows and reds of an eastern hardwood forest in fall reflected in the mirror-like surface of a lake is the subject. Not the light. As I see it anyway.

Light is used in many ways to enhance the subjects, whatever they are, in a photograph. Light is also used in many ways to impart a certain mood or atmosphere in a photograph so in a way one could say at times yes, light is the subject. But more often than not it's what the light is reflecting off back to the camera's sensor that is the subject.

I re read the posts above and I cannot find where anyone said ” all that matters is my opinion.” In my post I said “the question to ask is “..….Do YOU like it? Would YOU matte it, frame it and hang it in your living room?” And I stand by it. I personally think it's much more important what a photographer feels about their own work than what somebody else thinks.

The Shark Tank is an excellent place for Light Stalkers to get others opinions about their work. But the bottom line is they are just opinions. One person's critique of what would make a better photograph may or may not be the same as somebody else's. Opinions.

Well, that's enough of my opinions.

Lynne Guenther
    Participant

I don't know if I've been misunderstood or what, but I'd like to set a few things straight

1. I am a professional, I sale my work

2. I have plenty of confidence and I don't need consent to show my work or hang it

3. I am not, nor have my words insinuated, insulted or sensitive

4. I like people's opinions, I thought that's what forums were for?

5. I'm confused why some responders seem to want to answer the post with telling me what I should post and what questions I should have. Either answer, or if you think my post isn't worth answering, don't. But why the sensitivity to my confidence levels gentlemen?

Graham Hart
    Participant

Hmm, lotta spice in the old ST lately. More interesting than ‘sweet apple pie' commentary I reckon. Now it's becoming onion pie…..or looking at it in another way…..o(pi)nion! (See what I did there, yuk, yuk 🙂 )

Anyhoo, back to the job at hand. ‘What's the subject here?' Well for me, the only possible subject to be found is ‘foliage'. However, there's another, stronger component at play in this pic and that is ‘light'. I don't see this as a subject so much though, more of a governing influence.

I'm in the same camp as you Lynne in that I think light is the be-all and end-all of imagery. Whether its a photo, a painting or a real life view of something, its all about photons hitting the eyeballs and consequently triggering responses within our brains.

In your pic, that response (for me) is the moody feeling I get as I see the leaves and flowers catch the light as it sprays across the image. I'm sure there is some intent behind the manipulation of hues but I'm afraid this is lost on me. I am drawn to the light alone.

Lynne Guenther
      Participant

OMG I laughed so hard!!! I was saying “I see what you did there” as I was reading!

Thanks for the feedback!

Lynne Guenther
      Participant

I'm inspired to write a PSA

LIGHT, you can't see without it

Anne Hornsby
    Participant

I like a spicy ST exchange, too – assuming no insults or disrespect, which seems we've accomplished in this post.   Onion pie – love it, Graham.

For my 2 cents, I agree with Graham that the subject of Lynne's image is foliage.   I wouldn't have known that the leaves are painted because the dark leaves with flowers look like a plant in my yard.   I don't think of light as a subject, with rare exceptions as Dave mentions.   Light shapes, frames, massages the subject(s) in an image.

Lynne Guenther
    Participant

My feelings aren't hurt 🙂

Here's the original

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.