POTW – December 10, 2018

Home Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat POTW – December 10, 2018

This topic contains 26 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  lee 6 months ago.

• Author

Kent DuFault
    Participant

“Tis the Season”

Some weeks, there are so many great pictures uploaded here on Light Stalking that it becomes almost impossible to make a decision.

It's at these times that I typically look to other criteria than simply how masterfully a photograph was created.

One of the criteria that I often use, at these moments, is to look for somebody new. Someone who hasn't won the POTW (to my knowledge), or who hasn't won it often or recently.

I narrowed my selection this week down to four images. Three of the photographers fell into the category that I just mentioned.

However, I was still having a tough time narrowing it down to a single shot.

It was at this point that I thought… “We are in the Holiday Season, I'll choose a photograph that reflects that (quite literally).

I found Dave's photograph of the antique glass Christmas Tree quite intriguing. The subject isn't particularly new or amazing, but his treatment of it is quite wonderful.

Dave's photograph has beautiful bokeh, and it makes an exquisite use of color. Both of these elements really do nurture up feelings of warmth and nostalgia about the coming holidays.

Congratulations to Dave Watkins on his win for the POTW.

The runner ups were in no particular order…

ndjetfan for his very unique image of an abandoned railroad car covered in frost.

Gabriel de la Rosa for his very interesting character study of multiple faces in Mexico City.

Erik Fransmen for his anatomical study of a cat's feet and legs.

I'll post links to these three below.

Kent DuFault
    Participant

Tobie

Good choice Kent – a beautiful & unique shot in line with the season we're in! Congrat's Dave – and the same to the other mentions!

John Thompson

Yes good choice Kent.  ‘Tis the season.  Kudos to you Dave and kudos to ndjetfan, Gabriel and Erik.

Anne Hornsby
    Participant

Congrats to everyone!    I hadn't seen Dave's photo, but had had noticed and really enjoyed the other three.     Beautiful reflections and bokeh, Dave!

Dave Watkins
    Participant

Thank you for the honor Kent. In the short time I've participated here at Light Stalking the articles I've read and the images I've seen from other members have been inspiring. Thank you all.

Robert Apple

Congrats Dave

Rob Eyers
    Participant

All good picks Kent. Congratulations Dave!

Tom M
    Participant

Very nice,Dave. I missed this one- but I'm definitely in the Christmas spirit now…

Tersha
    Keymaster

Beautiful image Dave, congrats on POTW!
    And great shots all the other mentions!

Dave Watkins
    Participant

Thanks Robert, Rob, Tom and Tersha. 🙂

Graham Hart
    Participant

Congratulations Dave! Great pic and a very apt subject matter (not to mention classy!). Well done all runners-up too, all great shots.

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Thanks for the comment Graham. 🙂

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Thank you Kent for the mention (oh cats are so irresistible), congratulations fellow runners-up and especially congrats Dave. Christmas came early.

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Thank you Erik. I'd also like to give a shout out to Erik, Gabriel. and ndjetfan. High fives all around. 🙂

beth
    Participant

excellent photo!  congrats dave!

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

Congratulations on POTW Dave 🙂

Federico Alegria
    Participant

Congratulations @davewatkins !!!

Dave Watkins
    Participant

Many thanks to Dahlia and Federico. 🙂

LeanneC
    Participant

Very nice, Dave! Glass can be tricky to capture well. You really did this lovely tree justice.

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Thanks for the kind words Leanne. 🙂

ndjetfan
    Participant

What a great shot Dave and I will take runner up or 2nd and 3rd runner up to any of these great shots. It is just fun to be out in the cold snapping pictures for all to enjoy. Thanks again LS for all you do for the Arts

Preston
    Participant

Excellent capture Dave!  I like your attention to detail in your theme and even placed the tree on what looks like wrapping paper. Congratulations!

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Thank you Preston. And you are correct about the wrapping paper. 🙂

lee
    Participant

Thanks for sharing useful info

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.