Street Camera

This topic contains 27 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  chris pook 6 months ago.

• Author

Falxy
    Participant

Advice please,looking for a high end,fixed lense camera for street photography.

Rob Eyers
    Participant

I have a Fujifilm XIOOT which is now updated to XIOOF at 24 mp. Like a film camera it has aperture, shutter speed and ISO comp as dials so no menu access required. Worth a look. I’m very happy with my older copy even though I’ll likely trade up.

chris pook
    Participant

I don't think this is what you are looking for, and yet I cannot help but recommend it.  Wonderfully simple to use, great engineering, pick up a decent one for between £100 and £150;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Near-mint-ROLLEI-35-S-Sonnar-HFT-40-2-8-2-Flashes-Street-analog-camera-35mm/263530942276?hash=item3d5bab0f44:g:W08AAOSwYl9am88T

The Best Little Street Camera. The Rollei 35 S

https://www.flickr.com/groups/rollei35streetphotography/

Own examples;

http://www.chrispookphotography.co.uk/Equipment/Rollei-35S/

It is very unobtrusive.  I took some shots at a presentation a couple of years ago and no one was at all camera aware.

Rob Wood (Admin)
    Keymaster

Why fixed lens @falxy?

chris pook
    Participant

I missed the ‘high end'…  here you go, there can be only one!

https://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-M/LEICA-M-MONOCHROM

Tobie

If I look for something small and compact with fixed lens at the moment I'd look at the bridge cameras @falx.

The Canon Powershot SX 60 would top my list or if I feel like getting something closer to ‘pro' and even smaller I'd look at something in Canon's G-range with the Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II top of my list (review: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-powershot-g7-x-mark-ii-review).

Kent DuFault
    Participant

I recently bought the Panasonic LUMIX GX-85. I love it. Small and handles exposure changes really well. You can capture multiple frames at a high rate and then choose the one you like later. You can also set it so that all focus points will take a picture, and then later you can decide where you would like to place the focus. It's not a fixed lens. However, you can put a prime lense on it if you want to. In the world of photography- it's not extremely expensive. I feel like it is a hidden gem.

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

Hi Falxy, not sure if you are looking for something similar to the Sony RX100 series as you have mentioned fixed lens. But like Kent has suggested, you can get a mirrorless with just a prime lens. Should be really compact 🙂

Tobie

Based on the last couple of responses above: if I had been considering buying a mirrorless / non-fixed lens kit right now for traveling purposes then I would have bought the Fujifilm X-T20 without thinking twice.

Rob Eyers
      Participant

For a non fixed lens and tilt screen I agree with you on this one Tobie.

Falxy
    Participant

Thx all……although maybe not Chris….old filmer to £6000,lol….I did state high end! 🙂

Looking for a quality camera to just pick up and go plus no lense changing dilemmas  plus unobtrusive…..gotta say the Fuji x20 fits the bill(x2 bit more expensive)

chris pook
      Participant

Lol.  Let us know what you get.  🙂

Falxy
    Participant

first thing that comes to mind,5p sainsbury bag………….all pressure self inflicted……………….love imaging,hate imaging……………you know most enjoyment ive had with a camera was berlin with a d300 and just a 50mm lense………….so  wanna hit simple……………..as in just take…as in all the kit i have has just become a weight of expectation.

i'll let you know

still love you alls company 🙂

Falxy
    Participant

well had the eye op today…..but hopefully make it to Birmingham Photo Show on Monday to get my hands on…………

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Hope the op went well Duncan!

Falxy
    Participant

Yeah as fine as it could……….but the wife went for an xray on her back……….gardening damage a few weeks ago…..got a fracture……….! puts my eye into context…………I feel great for just getting it done,wife is in hospital overnightl!!

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  Falxy.

bucweeet
      Participant

I think normally you would adjust quite well to ‘being a bachelor' for a night… However, after hearing why… I ‘feel for you' Duncan.  Sorry to hear about it. ????

Hope you both ‘heal well' and quickly.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  bucweeet.

chris pook
    Participant

Yes, hope you are both making fast progress on the road to recovery!

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

Wishing you and your wife a speedy recovery Duncan 🙂

Falxy
    Participant

Update…..eye improving,wifes back is mending oh and purchased Fuji x-T2.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Good to hear Falxy. Look forward to some pics from the x-T2.

Tobie

Well, that's their flagship for the moment Falx so I'm sure you're not going to regret it! Looking forward to the shots coming in!

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Good to hear that Duncan 🙂

Kent DuFault
      Participant

Nice! Looking forward to your thoughts on it.

Rob Eyers
    Participant

It's all good Duncan!!!

chris pook
    Participant

Followed you into Fuji Duncan,  little e-bay compulsive purchase arrives tomorrow.  GFX 50s / 110m f2.  Home for 5 days, that this was on e-bay was just good Karma, obviously…  now I just have to get it back to work without wifey noticing it.  🙂

Falxy
    Participant

Chris yer i got a plebs lense that alternates between 2 something and 4 something…………..also extends like an elephant phallus…………but gonna give it a go………………..of course gonna upgrade..cus thats the way it works ! 🙂 …………..travel camera……………like going out all day with a 50mm on your best.

On the other hand…….upgrade…………wish…………

shit what a waste of money……………………………..

chris pook
      Participant

Think of it as an investment!  If you sell any images you get ROI to your wallet.  If you put some images on the wall, you get ROI to your soul (1).

Either way I'm looking forward to seeing what images you come back with.

Notes:

(1)  Available for shopping therapy at any time.

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by  chris pook.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar