The Edge of the Storm

Home Photography Forums Landscape Photography The Edge of the Storm

This topic contains 23 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Robert Apple 5 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Robert Apple

We were at Outlaw Cave at Hole in the Wall, the Cave where Butch Cassidy as well as many other outlaws of the old west hid out, waiting for sunset as a massive thunder storm moved in and darkened the sky, rain and hail fell for 20 minutes before a few tiny holes in the clouds opened up just as the sun went down, luckily perfectly lining up with the sun and creating a spot light on these hills. It was still lightly raining as we ran up the hill to get this shot, as well as others I will share later, which accounts for some of the softness and then I set the aperture wide open to soften the fore ground and back ground even further to highlight the lit up cliffs.

The Edge of the Storm

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Ok everyone…VIEW THIS LARGE!!

Robert what a killer..love it!!!

Tobie

A very unique shot Robert! Love the effect of the sun on the other side of the canyon / ravine!

JasenkaG
    Keymaster

Love this image! Ominous yet beautiful. You happened to be in the right place at the right time 🙂

Kent DuFault
    Participant

That is a beautiful moment well captured, Robert. Hole in the Wall Gang. I couldn't help but think of this…

“Butch Cassidy's Hole in the Wall Gang. That's me!”

Robert Apple

Thanks Kent,
      We were up there for 3 days and it rained most of the time, told my wife how appropriate that was because “Raindrops kept falling on my Head”, I suspect Kent gets that reference, but for those who dont ,that was the theme song from the move he shared the link to.

Erik Fransman
      Participant

Kent, still one of my all time favorite movies. Fantastic screenplay by William Goldman, just passed last year.

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

Wow, wow, wow…!!!! Robert, love this image so much. That light is just amazing and you captured this moment at the right time 🙂

John Thompson

This is one of those shots we all strive to get.  This is beautiful.  Saying well done does not seem enough Robert.

Robert Apple

Thanks John,
      That means a lot coming for the master of Red Rock Photography.

Graham Hart
    Participant

The beautiful majesty of light! What a stunner Robert. Hard to take my eyes off this shot, its very addictive viewing.

Robert Apple

Thank you Graham

Pamela Winter
    Participant

Utterly magnificent!  This is the kind of shot every photographer who die to have taken.

Ed
    Participant

Kudos. I'm a late-comer to this party, but it got you a follow at Flickr. That's a magnificent shot. And that leads me to a question that ought to be in a different place, perhaps, but: Is there a top-quality guide to decisions about enlarging or printing on paper vs. canvas vs. steel vs. acrylic? 

Robert Apple

Thanks Ed , as far as your question goes I would post it as a question in general Photo Chit Chat Forum.

beth
    Participant

wow!  this is amazing!

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Magical Robert. Have to visit one day.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.