Waterfalls

Home Photography Forums The Shark Tank Waterfalls

Tagged: 

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  bucweeet 6 months ago.

• Author

Tom M
    Participant

One of my favorite waterfalls near my home. Does the wood etc. in FG add or detract? Settings were 1/8 sec@f/11,ISO 100@35mm. Critique/changes welcome. For inquiring minds, this is Cummins Falls in Jackson County,Tn.Cummins Falls

Tom

James Henry
    Participant

I dig it. I think they make solid foreground interest but I would have tried to get higher so they sit in the frame a bit lower. overall amazing shot though

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Hi Tom. I like the composition. Not sure about the branches…they aren't very attractive. My main observation is the colour which is off. The sky is cyan which is not right…the sky should be blue. The image is a bit too dark too. I also think it would help if you brought out some more detail in the dark areas. Here's a quick edit to demonstrate my points.

Ian c
      Participant

That's better Rob, but I would have got rid of the branches and brought out the shadows in the foreground a bit more to give it a bit more balance. But  it is a cracking image none the less.

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Tom,

the branches are quite distracting for me. They take away from the waterfall. So I would take some out. I would also burn the foreground a bit and blur it a bit. It just takes to much of my attention away.

Tom M
    Participant

Yes, the branches bothered me too.I do like the corrections on those. I thought it would show too much if I tried to edit them out. As for the sky, I've had trouble with that, maybe my monitor is not calibrated right. Thanks for comments…

Tom

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Hi Tom. Regarding colour I've had very good results using X-rite's Colorchecker Passport for camera calibration and their Color Munki for monitor calibration and ICC profiles for printing. Shooting in RAW is your best bet.

Tom M
    Participant

Rob,

Thanks for the info. I have an older monitor, but will look into your info. I shoot in raw and manual.

Tom

Tobie

Certainly a spot beautiful enough to spend time on.

I always love to challenge PS' Content aware fill feature. Also changed the hue in the sky, blurred & desaturated the FG.

Much sharper if enlarged inside Imgur.

View post on imgur.com

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by  Tobie.

bucweeet
    Participant

I like all the adjustments/suggestions so far Tom. I would possibly experiment with the crop on the LH side as depicted in the edits and see which one works best for your eyes. The original crop works well, so just check to see if a crop is necessary or not.

Although I'm not a personal fan of the silky/smooth flow usually depicted in water movement (I usually like to experiment with layered, multiple exposures for water movement as it provides a little more texture to the water). However, I feel you have captured this quite well.

The one thing I would do is to add/paint ‘some' highlights into the water. Not very much and only to a few select spots. I think this would add a little more contrast to the image as well as draw the viewer's eye to the water flow.

Another option (vice ‘adding' highlights), and I'm not sure if it is my eyes or my monitor (I'm using a tablet right now), but the highlights in the water appear to have blue color cast.  And seeing as how you're using LR, I would be tempted to use the HSL on the water.  Place the color picker on the water highlights and either brighten the blue or reduce the saturation.  I think either will remove/reduce the color cast (and maybe help with the sky color).

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by  bucweeet.
    • This reply was modified 6 months ago by  bucweeet.

Tom M
    Participant

bucweeet-ooh, I like what you did with the logs in fg. It must have been done in Photoshop? I only have Gimp,and not very good  in that yet. Just started using it.The sky also looks good. Thanks.

Tom

bucweeet
      Participant

Thanx Tom… but I think it's Tobie's adjustments you're referring to.  No worries on my part and I'm pretty sure Tobie has/had not worries either.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

>
Skip to toolbar