Documenting the various shapes, that is the geometry around us through photographs is often called geometric photography. If we look around, we can see a lot of shapes like circles, curves, lines, triangles, rectangles and so on, that are put together creatively to form structures. Sometimes, one can luckily find some in natural landscapes as well.
Geometric photography has no limits as different structures are built differently and we see these structures everywhere around us. Geometric photography helps bring emphasis to shapes, forms, patterns that most people would not notice much otherwise and these geometric patterns are most often seen in architectural structures.
With geometric photography, you can either focus on just the shapes and patterns by photographing them closely, look for symmetry, converging or intersecting lines, go for an abstract frames, shoot different perspectives, add an element in between the geometrical patterns to create a compelling image, look in landscapes, streets and roads for patterns/geometry or even go wide and photograph minimal structures.
If you are interested in geometric photography, here are some great shots for ideas and inspiration and we also have some resources towards the end that you can refer to for photographing geometry.
Lines in Geometric Photography:
Circles and Curves in Geometric Photography:
Symmetry in Geometric Photography:
Repetition in Geometric Photography:
Abstract Geometric Photography:
Adding an Element in Geometric Photography:
Geometric Photography in Streets and Roads:
Looking for Perspectives in Geometric Photography:
Minimal Architecture in Geometric Photography:
Geometric Photography in Landscapes:
- How Shooting Architecture Without A Wide Angle Can Make Awesome Images – Find out why shooting without a wide angle can give you amazing architectural photographs
- 8 Reasons Why You Should Try Architecture Photography – Here are some considerations that will make your exploration of architecture with a camera a more enjoyable experience.
- Bite Size Tips: 3 Quick Tips For Better Architecture Photos – Take your time to look and walk around and compose strong and unique images with these tips!
- 5 Things To Consider When Photographing Outdoor Architecture – Here are some things to consider when balancing presentation and composition to create a successful photograph.
- The Wonderful Ways You Can Use Shapes To Enhance Your Photography – There is a vast array of possibilities when it comes to dealing with shape, so here are a few examples of how it can be used in compositions.
- How The Beauty of Geometry and Symmetry Can Enhance Your Compositions – Take a look at these two powerhouse compositional tools when using geometry and symmetry in your photographs.
Thank you , great reading accompanied by lots of great images 🙂
Thank you Patrick. Glad you enjoyed 🙂
I agree, breat article showing some different styles of this type of photography. Thank you!
Thank you Brian 🙂