Action cameras have been around for about two decades now and they have changed the way images and videos are captured. Action cameras are mostly used by people who take part in adventures, adventure sports and by adventure filmmakers, but it has also been a compact tool for some vloggers as they are small, can fit in a pocket and are easy to carry around.
People taking part in adventures and adventure sports like mountain climbing, surfing, mountain biking, canoeing, hiking adventure trails etc., need to have their hands free for performing the adventure while at the same time capturing the footage. Action camera mounts are great accessories that can help with this task as they are compact and can provide the stability required when capturing these moments.
What Is An Action Camera Mount?
An action camera mount is an accessory that will allow the user to mount their camera to their body or another equipment or vehicle, so they can capture footages handsfree during any action.
Here are some of the best action camera body mounts that you can check out if you are looking to buy one.
1. GoPro Chesty
- This chest harness is specifically designed for action cameras manufactured by GoPro and hence there is no worry about compatibility for users of this brand.
- The straps are adjustable using buckles that can extend to fit all body sizes
- They are comfortable and easy to wear which is an important feature for action camera users.
- Being a chest mount, it provides a great perspective when capturing moments.
- Does not restrict movement
- Made of durable material and so adventure people can use them in any tough environments.
- Mount incompatibility with many cameras from other brands.
- The mount may be visible in the frame when shooting very wide angle footage and this can be a huge drawback as parts of the frame may need cropping which may not work well for videos.
The GoPro Chesty is one of the best action camera body mounts available in the market designed for use with their cameras. It provides a secure and comfortable fit, making it suitable for various outdoor activities. They also manufacture other mounts like the head strap mount, helmet mount, wrist mount and so on.
I considered less expensive options, but too many reviewers said they were too small and broke or came off easily, which resulted in losing the camera and memories. I'm happy I chose the official GoPro chest mount!
- This clip will allow the user to attach their camera in various ways like the straps of a backpack, hip belts, wrist straps, and so on.
- You can quickly and securely have access to the camera
- The accessory is made of durable material.
- What more! You can use it with multiple action camera brands.
- Perspective may not be desirable compared to the chest mounts as these are attached to straps, belts, etc.,
- Can restrict movements because of where you have attached it
- Can sometimes be uncomfortable during actions.
The Peak Design Capture Clip is a great option for anyone interested in action photography and for those who use action cameras to capture their adventures. It is not a traditional body mount like the ones from GoPro, its feature to attach to any surface can be an advantage for some users based on their requirements.
The capture clip design provides quick and secure access to the camera when you are on the go and hence makes it a good choice to get instantaneous shots during adventures. Since it is compatible with multiple action camera brands, it can be used as a generic mount for users who own multiple cameras from different brands.
I do a fair amount of backpacking and canoe trips, and, as my trip reports are pretty photo-heavy, I want a camera that has better zoom than my phone. These clips (I've bought one for each pack) allow me to carry a DSLR securely and always have it ready. Honestly, getting the lens cover off takes longer than it does to have the camera in my hands and ready. Excellent product!
- Uses a single screw to loosen and lock the action camera.
- Has a secure and comfortable fit and hence suited for a wide range of activities.
- The arm mount can be extended to a height of about 3.4″.
- Since the mount has a Swivel Arm it can be extended, allowing the camera to capture shots from unique and extended angles and perspectives. This can be useful when capturing dynamic adventure shots.
- This mount has limited compatibility with cameras from other brands.
- The Swivel Arm Mount adds more weight to the whole camera setup, which can affect the portability and ease of use.
- This mount can be less practical compared to other compact chest or head mounts.
The Swivel Arm Mount allows for 360° rotation and 180° tilt when mounting your action camera. A single screw controls the tilt and swivel and hence loosening it can adjust the arm tilt and rotation of the swivel head.
This is a useful tool that allows you to reposition your camera angle easily. The material is made of high-quality plastic, and the knob tightens securely, so I don't get any camera creep. The rotating section is quite stiff, preventing the camera from moving about unintentionally. SP Gadgets has produced a high-quality tool. I really like this swivel arm, and I would recommend it.
- The Sony chest mount can be a perfect one for adventure professionals who do skiing, biking, cycling, canoeing and other similar sports activities.
- The harness can support action cameras that come with a standard 1/4″ thread head.
- The kit also comes with an adapter that may help to use cameras that do not have a 1/4″ thread head.
- The Sony chest body harness is designed specifically for Sony action cameras. So this may not be compatible with cameras from other manufacturers.
- The anchor plate is too small leading to shaky videos.
This Sony chest mount harness ensures smooth high-quality footage during actions and adventures. The adjustable straps help with a perfect and comfortable fit, and the harness is built to withstand rough and tough conditions, making it a great choice for Sony action camera users.
Nice adjustable chest body harness for Sony action cams! Works with several brands, made well, and easy to adjust!
- The Sametop head mount is fully adjustable and suitable for all sizes of heads.
- This mount is compatible with many action camera models like GoPro Max, Hero 11, Hero 10, Hero 9, Hero 8, Hero 7, Hero 6, Hero 5, Session, Hero 4, Hero 3+, Hero 3, Hero 2, Hero 1, Hero (2018), Fusion and many other action cameras.
- Head strap mounts usually provide stable footage if they are worn properly, and these mounts are helpful when taking part in high-motion activities like skiing, biking, surfing, etc., as stability is important for creating smooth videos.
- Provides unique perspectives when capturing footage.
- Since it is a head strap mount, it can be somewhat limiting when it comes to creativity.
- Sometimes a perspective from a head mount may not be the most interesting angle.
- Since the mount is attached to the head, any head movement will result in shaky footage or footage from other angles, directions, even if you move your head around to watch out for something.
The Sametop Head Strap allows to mount the camera securely on your head and hence the footages captured in the camera and from a first-person perspective and your unique point of view. Head mounts are usually more affordable compared to other mounting options like the chest mount and hence offer good value for the money.
I'm rating it 4 stars because it didn't meet my expectations. The quality is solid and it perfectly holds my GoPro Hero 9 but as a motorbiker I thought it was going to work with my helmet. Turns out when they say it works with helmets they're referring to small-sized ones that motorcycle enthusiasts don't use. Probably works with cyclists.
6. STUNTMAN 360
- The STUNTMAN 360 Shoulder Mount for GoPro is designed as an adjustable and customizable mount to fit various body sizes comfortably.
- Additional adapters can be purchased separately for mounting smartphones, cameras, etc.
- The mount is attached on the shoulder, and this feature can provide quick and easy access to the camera when required.
- It is made of soft material that is comfortable to wear.
- It also helps to switch modes easily and capture shots without much hassle.
- This may not be suitable for all types of action adventures as this is a shoulder mount and can feel less comfortable.
- The camera perspective can get blocked when used in some activities like mountain climbing for example or similar activities where there is a lot of upper body movement.
- The camera may be tilted hence affecting the required perspective.
- The mount is made of plastic and can hurt the shoulders.
- Shoulder mounts are also not a great option for water-based activities like surfing or snorkelling, as it will not provide the best stability and the point of view can be different from what the user is seeing or experiencing.
The STUNTMAN 360 Shoulder Mount provides a unique perspective for your action footage like a higher vantage point compared to chest mounts. The shoulder mount also offers comparatively stable footage, even during high-motion activities like skiing, mountain biking, and this is essential for creating smooth videos.
I bought this action cam mount specifically for using it as a shoulder mount, but either the instructions are not clear or the images are deceptive because I don't see how you can use this product the way they intended unless you are thin as a rail. The three point mounting system is cool, but the underarm strap just doesn't get tight enough for me to have it feel secure. Despite this, only have the one secure point of contact was more than enough to keep it steady for me. I kind of wished I could take the second strap off, actually.
- This mount is specifically designed for DJI Osmo Action cameras.
- Provides a secure fit and hands-free shooting experience.
- The mount is ideal for activities like cycling or snowboarding.
- This mount is mostly compatible with only the DJI Osmo Action cameras and has very limited compatibility with cameras from other brands.
- Since this is a chest mount, the DJI Osmo Action Chest Mount provides a fixed perspective but may not be a very versatile angle for all shooting situations.
- There could be some distractions as well captured in the frame, especially when shooting wide angle, depending on the action being captured.
The DJI Osmo Action Chest Mount is a perfect accessory for DJI Osmo Action cameras and ensures a secure and snug fit allowing for hands-free shooting. This makes it an excellent choice for adventure activities like cycling, surfing or snowboarding.
OMG, DJI is crushing GoPro on quality, innovation, customer service and making products that don't freeze up, crash, take expensive batteries, connect with both Android and iPhone. I love this harness, it also features and back mount if you wanted to have a rear-facing camera.
|Peak Design Capture Clip
|SP-Gadgets Swivel Arm Mount
|Sony Chest Harness
|Sametop Head Strap
|DJI Osmo Action Chest Mount
Here is also a video that will help you make the best choice:
Before deciding on an action camera mount for purchase, you need to check a few factors based on your requirements. The mounts recommended here have been selected based on compatibility, durability, comfort, and versatility.
What Are The Factors To Look For In An Action Camera Mount?
So, if you already have an action camera and are looking for a mount to go with it, you need to check the following factors before deciding on a mount.
Size And Weight
Action cameras are mostly used when one is involved in action sports or adventures, or by action filmmakers. When one is on an adventure, they need to be focusing on what needs to be done. This will require a camera and mount that will not feel heavy or distract them from the actions.
The mount also needs to be comfortable to wear. So, look for comfortable light weight mounts that will not make you feel like you are wearing them.
Before spending on a mount, do some research and find out if the mount is compatible for your make and model of action camera, especially if you are investing in a third party camera mount. Some mounts are specifically made by brands for certain models they manufacture and if you are purchasing mounts for the specified model, then you do not need to worry about checking for compatibility.
Waterproof Or Not
Most action cameras are waterproof up to a certain depth because action cameras are used by swimmers and people who do snorkelling, scuba diving, etc. Also there are some underwater photographers who use action cameras to capture their footage.
Besides the above, during outdoor adventures, you may come across water features and also may need to use your camera in the rain. So if you will be using your camera in similar situations, make sure you purchase a mount that is waterproof.
Ease Of Access And Use
Action cameras when on a mount may need to be accessed sometimes when you need to change perspective to capture photos or videos from a different perspective. Make sure that the mount allows you to easily access your camera when needed.
Besides, you will need to find a mount that is easy to use without complicated straps, lock mechanisms etc. The mount needs to allow the user to easily attach it to the body and for the camera to be easily mounted or removed when needed.
There are a variety of mounts for action cameras – some can be mounted on the head, some on the chest, shoulder, wrist, on a handlebar, vehicle and so on. Think about where you will be using your camera, what activities you will be performing and from which perspective you will need your footage. Based on these, decide on a mount that will suit your requirements.
Quality And Build
The action camera mount needs to keep your camera safe through any kind of tough adventures and when navigating through rough terrains, etc. You need to choose a mount that is made of good material and one that will not wear out easily. You will also need to ensure that the camera is held securely during the process.
You may have a specific budget set aside for the mount, but do not compromise quality over the price. Some third party mounts have good build and are made of good quality materials while being budget friendly. So, if you are concerned about the budget, looks for good quality mounts that are affordable and stay within your budget.
The Importance Of A Quality Action Camera Body Mount
If you are someone who has been putting aside the idea of purchasing an action camera mount, or are planning to invest in a cheaper basic mount, the factors listed below will help you to understand why having a good quality mount is important for your adventures. There are various types of mounts like magnetic mount, backpack mount, strap mount, helmet mount, clip mount, wrist mount, head strap mount, snap mount, chest mount harness, etc. and one needs to make decisions based on the activity they pursue most of the time and if the mount will help them to capture footage from the right perspective without any issues.
Here are a few reasons why investing in the right mount matters:
When you are out on adventures or action sporting, you should not be constantly worried about holding the camera, keeping it safe or about accidental camera shakes. This will take away from the moment and also take away focus from the performance and actions. To avoid these situations, an action camera mount will be a great choice, allowing you to be handsfree and capture smooth videos without worrying about safety issues.
Adventure and actions do not take place in comfortable and smooth conditions, but rather tough locations and terrains. In these situations, the movements can be aggressive and your mount will help with keeping the camera steady and safe.
Each action or type of adventure needs to be captured from a particular perspective in order to get the best results. The most commonly used mounts are the head and chest mount, besides mounts for vehicles. Decide on the purpose of the mount and the adventure you will be capturing and invest in the right mount.
Since the mount is held securely to the body or another equipment / vehicle, you can peacefully focus on the activities, rather than worry about the camera. Using the right mount based on the activity will allow you to keep your camera safe and secure.
If you will be taking part in different varieties of activities like mountain climbing, surfing, snorkelling, etc., you will need to look for a mount that will allow you to use it in various ways. This also includes shooting using various angles and perspectives when required, so you do not have to stick with just one option all the time.
Pro Tip: Most body mounts allow you to adjust the camera's angle. Take advantage of this feature to frame your shots creatively. Tilt the camera slightly upward for a skyward view or downward for a ground-level perspective. Experiment with different angles to see what works best for your activity.
Whatever the type of adventure or action you are taking part in, it is important to pay attention to getting the shots comfortably but from unique perspectives. You also need to give importance to the safety of your camera gear and the right camera mount will ensure that.
Do you use an action camera? If yes, what mount would you recommend and why? Please let us know in the comments section below.